project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Searching translators  (Read 139204 times)

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Searching translators
« Reply #165 on: December 16, 2008, 02:32:29 pm »
[...]I had a look on Estonian translation, current version is translated by quite unliterate person. Its full of obvious errors and also childish examples. I have made some work on this translation, but my time is also quite limited and I don't know how to submit changes.
illiterate*
: )
well, the translators might have been young or something.

i had some fun with the game, at least before it degraded into a grenade launcher game for me, and i have also thought of helping a little bit with the estonian translation, maybe we can split it up between us and discuss the points we are doubtful about?

although the whole estonian translation thing sounds bit hilarious imho, because estonians mostly become irritated at estonian translations of gui-s, because estonians are used to computer terminology in english, because translations weren't available for a long time.

btw, does it matter if we use the latest stable release or the dev version?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 16, 2008, 03:09:45 pm »
btw, does it matter if we use the latest stable release or the dev version?

Please use the (very) latest dev version (from svn).

-geever

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 23, 2008, 12:27:56 am »
In meantime updates ruined my old translated file, so I started it again. Current version of Estonian translation fix is up there - http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/75508/et.po. I was not able to use http://drop.io in moment, so I used other service. Quite well service for private sharing between work and home computer too.

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #168 on: December 23, 2008, 05:26:32 am »
I`ve commited your version.

Offline bboyadzhiev

• Cannon Fodder
  • Bulgarian translator
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 07, 2009, 03:50:05 pm »
Hi, i have started a Bulgarian translation. No problem with terminology so far.

I've started my translation based on the en.po file (renamed to bg.po) from the game src/po folder and have no problem starting the new language (bg.po->bg.mo... and so on).

I'm just confused abaout the pot (ufoai.pot) and the po (XX.po) files! What is the difference and how my bg.po file will be updated to the next version of the game? And what does the ufoai.pot file from SVN represent? Do i upgrade my .po file from it? Or I must translate the .POT file instead?

I'm using POedit and when I try the "Update from POT file..." and select the latest ufoai.pot release from SVN some of the texts (a lot of them actually) get messed up.

How should I proceed to keep my work up-to-date, without the need of retranslation?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 07, 2009, 04:42:58 pm »
Hi,

You should create a new catalog based on the pot file. (File->New catalog from POT File...)
Later you can update msgids from the pot, yes.

Thanks for translating!
-geever

Gamer02

« Reply #171 on: February 02, 2009, 04:16:38 pm »
Hi!
I am willing to fix the estonian translation.
How do I do it?
The translation wiki says I don't actually have to start editing the po files yet as I can translate the wiki estonian entries (I would prefer) and I noticed that under equipment the estonian translation is all missing. How do I make new subjects (i.e. Combat knife translation Lahingunuga) and do I also have to translate the damage types?
How do I know if something has already been translated in the wiki?

Also I will try to start on the po file, it shouldn't be too complicated when I can use the english one for reference (I saw the weird translations... Alien Astrogation- tulnukate tegevus(Alien Activity))

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 02, 2009, 05:15:54 pm »
Also I will try to start on the po file, it shouldn't be too complicated when I can use the english one for reference (I saw the weird translations... Alien Astrogation- tulnukate tegevus(Alien Activity))
It's not compilcated, just use poedit. That translation -  if it was marked as fuzzy - maybe not done by a translator but the system (gettext) looked for something similar when didn't find translation. Some texts in the po file (like 'mail_*' or 'txt_*') are just markers, those texts should be translated on wiki. (I can't help with wiki as I don't understand that well either :S)

-geever

Gamer02

« Reply #173 on: February 02, 2009, 08:22:46 pm »
okay, I just finished the firsti translation, now to link it with the translation wiki page?
http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Bolter_relv
How do I add it to the Bolter rifle estonian wiki translation? (by the way what is quench gun, I could not find a translation to this)
I used the english page so the end where it says do not translate... should it be deleted?
Also the links are to english sites as I haven't translated that stuff yet (I ain't that fast)

Also how to get the Bolter relv under the subheading of Varustus (Equipment)?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 10:09:03 pm by Gamer02 »

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #174 on: February 03, 2009, 03:11:11 am »
You need to place article to a catalog, specific to estonish (look how it was made for other languages.
And you need to add estonian language to lists of msgid.

Look to http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php?title=List_of_msgid/Aircraft&curid=2880&diff=20017&oldid=20011 change, and try to make something like this.

Gamer02

« Reply #175 on: February 03, 2009, 02:05:48 pm »
Thank you, but that was not the problem (it might have been if I had started with aircraft or got to aircraft) but in equipment there already is et (estonian)
my problem was how to put it the wiki translation in the estonian catalog (and where is the catalog)

Mostly what concerns me is how to make a new page in the right place (not just floating around so to say)

Am I supposed to edit the msgid page before translating to make an empty link where to make a page?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 03, 2009, 02:20:22 pm »
There aren't really any guidelines for structuring the pages. Even the English ones are fairly disorganized. You can come up with something of your own, or copy the structure for another language.

Gamer02

« Reply #177 on: February 03, 2009, 04:38:05 pm »
Thank you, I hope this way is okay
I started with the equipment (first 4 are almost done)
if anyone knows how to translate quench gun then let me know  :)

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 07, 2009, 07:00:20 am »
[...]if anyone knows how to translate quench gun then let me know  :)
quenching is loss of superconductivity in a superconducting magnet (the current disappears and the coil might overheat and melt).
if you can find someone who is doing nuclear magnetic resonance analysis or magnetic resonance imaging, you can ask if there is an estonian word for that.
can't help more atm.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 04:25:28 am by homunculus »

Offline mattheus

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 13, 2009, 05:10:37 pm »
Updated Estonian translation file again some steps forward:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/75508/ufoai-et.po