project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: The Future is... yesterday?  (Read 25241 times)

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: The Future is... yesterday?
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008, 02:19:57 am »
I noticed the "back from teh future"-looks and it put me thinking  if I could help somehow.  Ive got some experience on texturing and mapping for some fps games so Im not totally noob in this matter.

Of course. :) Take a look at our ToDo lists, or simply find something that's badly done (or absent) in the game and make something to fill that spot.

There's also this thread which has some model needs which i don't think made it into the ToDo list yet.

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 12:01:29 pm »
Found a nice vehicle, probable HMMWV replacement:
http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/suvs/163_0803_jltv_military_vehicle

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2009, 05:27:39 am »
Okay...I know this topic is old but I wanted to ask and why start up a new thread when this one is here. I get the sense that there are many talented modelers and mappers out there. I can do neither but I love to draw...if I were to submit some sketches would there be anyone out there willing to model off of them?

What is priority? Mapping? PM me if you have any requests and I'll try to get something up within a week for you.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2009, 05:53:48 am »
I could model, if supplied with front, top and side views...and it were simple enough XD
I have troubles with "organic" models (Models of things that are living)

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2009, 06:53:33 am »
I would like to focus on terrain sketches (such as new buildings) or perhaps things that could be translated into new textures for mapping etc.

How about we start with some car styles? What would you prefer....if you have anything in mind I am open to requests for non-living things.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2009, 11:36:38 am »
I, personally, dont really like the buildings that are currently in use. If you could come up with some sketches for whole, partially damaged, etc buildings, that would be good

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2009, 12:49:35 pm »
Buildings don't have to be modeled as such, they should be mapped.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2009, 08:52:07 pm »
what do you mean?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2009, 08:55:10 pm »
Models are created in a 3D modeling program. They can then be imported into maps as decoration (mostly). Map objects are made in radiant, and as such aren't models. Houses should be made that way, because models don't affect line of sight or collision in any way by themselves. Furthermore, houses need to be split into several sections, to allow the player to hide some of it depending on the visibility level. That is impractical with models.

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2009, 04:09:06 am »
Hm....but arent the soldiers models? Or is that different? And isnt line-of-fire based on mesh obstruction?
I guess I need to get radiant and check it out

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2009, 12:47:06 pm »
Actors are models, yes. They're a special case. Line of fire isn't based on mesh obstruction, rather on the BSP tree (the map format).

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2009, 07:57:32 pm »
Hey BTaxis,

I know players cannot destroy terrain in the maps but is it possible to include things such as explosive barrels or is that covered under regular terrain? What I mean is, is it possible to include specially made explosive terrain such as gas pumps and barrels?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2009, 08:05:06 pm »
There's no way to make things explode (and deal damage) at the moment, but small objects can be made destroyable. This is a matter for mattn, but I suspect it's doable to make explosive objects. It's probably not going to happen soon in any event, however.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2009, 12:14:35 am »
There's no way to make things explode (and deal damage) at the moment, but small objects can be made destroyable. This is a matter for mattn, but I suspect it's doable to make explosive objects. It's probably not going to happen soon in any event, however.

I would imagine that it would be *relatively* easy to add to the code to make "grenades" that are models that respond to being shot instead of thrown, but I could be wrong...

Offline Captain Bipto

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2009, 08:01:42 pm »
How about a mission on an oil rig?

I'd love to be able to blow up gas stations (and cars) just like in x-com. I don't really care that I cannot shoot holes in buildings but explosive effects are just awesome.