If you're a SUSE User, you don't have to worry about Installation, not even about upgrades!
This Tutorial is based on YAST2, but if you're using another package manager within SUSE Linux / openSUSE, you probably figure out how to do it.
Steps to get UFO:AI Installed
- Open YAST2 as superuser
- Choose Sotware in the left menu and Installation source in the right pane
- Add the following repository:
Type: HTTP - Servername: download.opensuse.org - Directory: repositories/games/<SUSE_Version>/ For the moment, <SUSE_Version> can be one of * openSUSE_10.2 * openSUSE_10.3 * openSUSE_Factory
In latest SUSE versions you can add repository URL, which is faster and easier to do. Just add the URL :
There are even some mirrors around, so in case you experiance bad speed when installing the game (especially on the data blob), try to point to a mirror. Normally, there should be no need for this, as download.opensuse.org is redirecting to international mirrors for downloads.
- Confirm possible appearing dialogs about GPG Keys (The repository is signed for your security)
- Click Finish (this might take a while, especially on SUSE Linux >= 10.1)
- Go to Software Management
- In the searchbox, enter ufoai, then click search
- UFO:Alien Invasion is shown as a result (three hits, including map and music files). Select the package ufoai
- Click Accept (This will start the Dependency check and automatically select ufoai-data and possible other packages.
- The game will be installed (maybe you even have to insert the installation CD of SUSE Linux)
When this step is done, you can leave YaST and start UFO: Alien Invasion from the Startmenu. You should find it in Games/Strategy
Commandline installation using smart (apt-like package manager):
su smart channel --add games type=rpm-md name="games" baseurl=http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/games/<SUSE_Version see above> smart update smart install ufoai
Have a lot of Fun!
--DimStar 12:49, 16 November 2006 (CET)