project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: New Map  (Read 12273 times)

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: New Map
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2011, 02:55:46 pm »
Hi H-Hour,

I'm using 2.3.1 with the city map spawn point fix and uforadient 1.5.
I can't get the latest version of radient to run under Win7 x64, I'm guessing theres more functionallity in there?
Incidentally, I still can't seem to tie models to levels, the level boxes untick immediately when I tick them... am I doing something silly?

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2011, 11:24:02 pm »
Thats crazy. 2.3 textures looks better than 2.4

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2011, 12:06:00 am »
Adjuchas, I seem to remember a bug with some things like that in the past. I'm running UFORadiant on Win7 x64...   Maybe mattn or someone can try and produce a new download for you tomorrow. I can compile, so maybe I can send you a new exe (does that work, mattn, or is there more to it?).

Bayo: not necessarily. It's a scaling issue because the new textures have a higher resolution. Once scaled down the new textures may look better (or not).

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2011, 12:15:27 am »
Thats crazy. 2.3 textures looks better than 2.4

I wouldn't worry too much Bayo, now that I've finished the physical layout I've updated to 2.4, theres a lot better quality and variety of textures now so it's not going to be an issue replacing the old ones ;)

Adjuchas, I seem to remember a bug with some things like that in the past. I'm running UFORadiant on Win7 x64...   Maybe mattn or someone can try and produce a new download for you tomorrow. I can compile, so maybe I can send you a new exe (does that work, mattn, or is there more to it?).

Bayo: not necessarily. It's a scaling issue because the new textures have a higher resolution. Once scaled down the new textures may look better (or not).

Cheers H-Hour, once I've finished making it look pretty I'll put some more screens up, then I just need to do the lighting... Do I remember you saying there were default settings other than full bright?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2011, 06:46:47 am »
Maybe mattn or someone can try and produce a new download for you tomorrow. I can compile, so maybe I can send you a new exe (does that work, mattn, or is there more to it?).

we have our nightly builds ;)

http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/ resp. http://ufoai.ninex.info/snapshots/uforadiant-latest-win32.exe

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:46 am »
Do I remember you saying there were default settings other than full bright?

When you compile the map, there are default settings for the sun/ambient light, which can be overridden in the worldspawn entity if desired.

But you will still need to put in localised lighting for indoors and to get a generally better atmosphere.

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2011, 01:45:09 am »
Here's some screens of the the latest progress.
I'll attach the map file later on, after I've fixed a couple of things.

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2011, 09:50:35 pm »
Here's the map,

I've added in spawn points now and I'm trying to wrap my head around the RMA stuff so that I can change the landing craft (which will be next to where the player spawns are).
I need some advice though, the latest version is fairly laggy above level 2, should I hide surfaces on lower levels that can't be seen from higher levels? like, the interiors of floor 1 and 2 from floors 3 up?
I'm also having problems with lighting, I've added some lights now to get a feel for it but it still seems to compile in full bright.. it's worth mentioning that the compiler gives an error during the lighting phase (see screenshot).

Anyway, give it a try and let me know if there's anything that's no good or needs fixing! :)

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2011, 10:58:40 pm »
i think there is too much coridor on that building, cause the stairway should be on the center of one of the edge of the building, or on the corner.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2011, 12:30:23 am »
Nice work on the damaged walls. Maybe mattn can shed some light (haha) on that lighting error.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2011, 07:29:15 am »
Sandro is working on the texsize stuff already - the problem is that the texsize values for the lighting info are not yet initialized - please open a ticket for this bug.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2011, 07:39:30 pm »
just had a look at your map. looks nice, and the player will really have to hurry to save the civilians.
And I can already imagine the aliens dropping down grenades from above. 

Can you add some more furniture to the rooms? Maybe some drawers for storing clothes?

About dropships and crafts: I would actually recommend to not include any of them. Would the roof really support such aircraft and have a large enough space. I think it more likely that they simply dropped by rope from the hovering aircraft.

About RMA: That has it's own pitfalls, I'm not sure how the RMA assembly in z direction is progressing. So at the moment it might be simpler to have a separate map for each landed ufo.

tilli

Offline Adjuchas

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 25, 2011, 02:54:26 pm »
Thanks for all the input, I'll open a ticket for the bug.
Has anyone noticed that it's quite laggy viewing level 3 and above? Let me know if this is the case, I've been experimenting with some lag reduction methods.

I think I'm going to retexture some of the rooms, to avoid it getting too teletubby-esque (with the bright colours etc).

just had a look at your map. looks nice, and the player will really have to hurry to save the civilians.
And I can already imagine the aliens dropping down grenades from above.  

Can you add some more furniture to the rooms? Maybe some drawers for storing clothes?

About dropships and crafts: I would actually recommend to not include any of them. Would the roof really support such aircraft and have a large enough space. I think it more likely that they simply dropped by rope from the hovering aircraft.

About RMA: That has it's own pitfalls, I'm not sure how the RMA assembly in z direction is progressing. So at the moment it might be simpler to have a separate map for each landed ufo.

tilli

I was thinking that the rooms looked a little bare myself, but I don't want to pile too much in there until I can deal with the performance issues.
As for the dropships, there is enough space for them as originally the firebird model was included. I'm going to leave them out this time and attach a ladder to the side of the small building to suggest that it's how the team reached the roof.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #28 on: March 25, 2011, 04:10:50 pm »
keep in mind that you don't have to show most of the interior of the first and second level when you are viewing the third level. you can optimize the map a lot by deactivating the lower level brushes rendering

Offline MCR

• PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2011, 02:40:50 pm »
What happened to that highrise building map ?