project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: estimating factors for to-hit-chance  (Read 9959 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: estimating factors for to-hit-chance
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2008, 12:58:18 pm »
Once it's basically done I'll probably make a new thread about it. It's almost definitely going to be a topic for discussion.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2008, 01:15:16 pm »
Back to the issue about the pricipal accuracy vs weapon skill issue though (as that won't change much even with the new system), I acknowledge eleazar's argument that accuracy is useless because weapon skill already IS accuracy. We could solve this by removing accuracy, but I feel the better way to go is to make the weapon skills do something else. For example, unlock fire modes on weapons. Something like that.

Offline tobbe

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2008, 02:28:07 pm »
Back to the issue about the pricipal accuracy vs weapon skill issue though (as that won't change much even with the new system), I acknowledge eleazar's argument that accuracy is useless because weapon skill already IS accuracy. We could solve this by removing accuracy, but I feel the better way to go is to make the weapon skills do something else. For example, unlock fire modes on weapons. Something like that.

Hmm, sounds like a good idea. There would probably be a lot of balancing needed, but i am always fond of additional "goodies"...and unlocking fire modes would a nice example, though i am not quite sure if this would the game more difficult...expecially in the beginning. I f i imagine that i would have to do without auto-fire modes, inferno, aimed sniper shots etc....THAT would be really tough 

If you go for the version "unlocking fire modes", I think a new weapon category "alien weaponry" might come in handy...perhaps the combined value of alien weaponry and the weapon skill unlocks the fire modes of alien weapons. This way a skilled Assault weapon user might be better with alien assault weapons (-> more and better firemodes) that an unskilled one

Woreczko

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2008, 03:47:21 pm »
In my opinion you are overcomplicating skills. UFO is no RPG. Why would a rookie soldier be unable to use burst or full auto of his assault gun, if he wishes so? If his strenght is too low to handle the recoil or accuracy too low, then he will not achieve the desired results. Simple as that.
One thing, which skills could improve, would be reaction speed or in game terms - probability of reaction shots.
If TU costs for firing will become proportional to the speed (i.e. in %) rather than flat TU costs, then weapon skill could also reduce firing costs, say by 1 TU for 25 points in skill.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2008, 04:08:22 pm »
I moved this thread to discussion, because I feel it is more at home there by now.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2008, 06:00:42 pm »
...but I feel the better way to go is to make the weapon skills do something else. For example, unlock fire modes on weapons. Something like that.

On the surface it seems to make sense that "accuracy" and weapon skill are different qualities, but when you get right down to it it's really hard to exhibit firearms weapon skill in anyway but accuracy.

IMHO the other only significant variable is "speed".  The weapon skills could be used to determine  how many TU it takes a soldier could use a weapon.  Perhaps max skill would allow the soldier to use a weapon at a given fire mode in half or 1/4th the time of one with a skill of 0.

IMHO this effect would justify the distinction in stats, however it would be harder for a player to remember how many TU it takes to fire a weapon in such a situation.

I don't feel i know enough about what BTAxis has in mind with "unlocking fire modes" to comment on it.  But my personal preference is for the simpler mechanic of simply dropping "accuracy".

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2008, 08:51:24 pm »
I don't feel i know enough about what BTAxis has in mind with "unlocking fire modes" to comment on it.
I think this means making some fire modes to be used only if a certain skill with this weapon is achieved. E.g. headshot mode for sniper rifle being availble only with sniper skill of 50. Though it might require quite some mindwork to add bonus modes for each weapon!