project-navigation
Personal tools

Poll

What should the Antareans be renamed to?

Greys
3 (17.6%)
Akyons
3 (17.6%)
Taman
9 (52.9%)
Other (please specify)
2 (11.8%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: December 08, 2006, 09:40:22 am

Author Topic: New name for Antareans  (Read 17623 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
New name for Antareans
« on: December 07, 2006, 02:54:05 pm »
Hullo, everyone. On behalf of the storyline team, I'd like to give you all a small opportunity to participate in the story design.

In the new storyline (as seen growing on the wiki), research is presented as in-character, and this creates one or two problems with the old material. For one, the name "Antareans" for an alien species is now anachronous; no one would know that the aliens came from Antares. We're going to need a new name to describe the Antareans that isn't linked to any specific star system, and we'd like to get your votes and suggestions.

Please post your suggested names here, and I'll add them to the poll. Thank you.

Regards,
Winter

Nikron

New name for Antareans
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 04:27:27 pm »
what about "Newly recognised annoying lifeforms"? or just simply "Nral"

can u send a link to the wiki? i think i lost that  :shock:

papabob

New name for Antareans
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:28:14 pm »
Not a bad idea at all. Because:

1.- We don't understand the aliens' language, so we don't know how they name themselves.
2.- The first word we use to name a new thing, usually became its final name.
3.- The firsts to see/combat/talk about aliens will be the soldiers
4.- We all know the imagination of a soldier in combat (just remember the charlies of Vietnam, or BFG in doom :lol: ).

So, we can get  a name with reminiscences of whatever external attribute of the alien (its color, the shape of its head, etc) and use it. Anyone remember Gill Mans of Terror From The Deep?  :wink:

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
New name for Antareans
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2006, 09:38:54 am »
Quote from: "papabob"
Not a bad idea at all. Because:

1.- We don't understand the aliens' language, so we don't know how they name themselves.
2.- The first word we use to name a new thing, usually became its final name.
3.- The firsts to see/combat/talk about aliens will be the soldiers
4.- We all know the imagination of a soldier in combat (just remember the charlies of Vietnam, or BFG in doom :lol: ).

So, we can get  a name with reminiscences of whatever external attribute of the alien (its color, the shape of its head, etc) and use it. Anyone remember Gill Mans of Terror From The Deep?  :wink:

That's the idea. Got a suggestion, then? :P

Regards,
Winter

Reenen

New name for Antareans
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2006, 10:53:22 am »
Has the model (and skins we're using)? been determined.  Can we see it?

Sorry, I haven't played the game this much... i've just been following the project with high interest. And dunno which ones are the antarians...

I just saw the green ones which looks like they wear some kind of clothing.

papabob

New name for Antareans
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2006, 11:13:06 am »
Ok, I'll try 8).
The first attack is in Mumbai. I googled a bit and found a page with the most common phrases in english-hindi, and the translation of "Why did you come?" is "Aap kyon aaye". When the Commonwhealth soldiers arrived, it was easy to hear women and children screaming and wondering why they were being attacked. The soldiers thought they was talking about the aliens and, by simple transliteration, started to name the extraterrestrial life forms as 'Kyons' or maybe 'Akyons'.

Reenen

New name for Antareans
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2006, 11:18:03 am »
I like your thinking, though I doubt they'll be screaming "why did you come?".  But basing it on english-hindi combination of typical words like "run for your life", or "find a place to hide" or even "alien", is a great idea.

Or maybe some of the hindu gods to whom the locals might have appealed.  (I am very uneducated in hindu gods)

Nikron

New name for Antareans
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2006, 02:05:07 pm »
Ok, I'll try 8).
The first attack is in Mumbai. I googled a bit and found a page with the most common phrases in english-hindi, and the translation of "Why did you come?" is "Aap kyon aaye". When the Commonwhealth soldiers arrived, it was easy to hear women and children screaming and wondering why they were being attacked. The soldiers thought they was talking about the aliens and, by simple transliteration, started to name the extraterrestrial life forms as 'Kyons' or maybe 'Akyons'.

i like your idea +1

Northen_Wolf

New name for Antareans
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2006, 05:28:04 pm »
Quote from: "Nikron"
what about "Newly recognised annoying lifeforms"? or just simply "Nral"

First:  Name should be possible to say, i don't want some chasters next to each other like: NRKLA as alien name.

Second: Aliens names should come from their looks or smell or something or ...yeah maybe what pp screamed, when they saw aliens...

i like your idea +1

Third: Give 1+ for a grade? what system are u using i'm from system 0= didn't do a word on paper 2= failed exam/test 3= passed exam/test 4=passed exam/test well 5=Exam/test passed extreamly well

Nikron

New name for Antareans
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2006, 06:42:31 pm »
First: Name should be possible to say, i don't want some chasters next to each other like: NRKLA as alien name.

dunno what hard to say in both of them (maybe hard for the americans?).

Second: Aliens names should come from their looks or smell or something or ...yeah maybe what pp screamed, when they saw aliens...

how do you know that? did u ever saw an alien?

Third: Give 1+ for a grade? what system are u using i'm from system 0= didn't do a word on paper 2= failed exam/test 3= passed exam/test 4=passed exam/test well 5=Exam/test passed extreamly well

who said you, that i gave him a grade?

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
New name for Antareans
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2006, 08:27:04 pm »
I've added another entry, "Taman", which is based on the idea of a corrupted Hindi phrase. In this case, the original phrase would be "xuRta AwmA", the Hindi term for 'evil spirit' or 'demon'.

Personally, I like it.

Regards,
Winter

Northen_Wolf

New name for Antareans
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2006, 08:18:01 am »
First: Name should be possible to say, i don't want some chasters next to each other like: NRKLA as alien name.

dunno what hard to say in both of them (maybe hard for the americans?).

Erm not only for americans, secotid, floater were simple names to say etherlian was harder but sayeble, NRKLA is not sayble....

how do you know that? did u ever saw an alien?

Well hindus(mumbeians) saw so yeah we migth say that they are named after them, i haven't see one yet althru i hear them in my head...
they talk about shooting someone...

who said you, that i gave him a grade?

Ok, I'll try Cool.
Quote from: "nikron"

i like your idea +1

Happy?

papabob

New name for Antareans
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2006, 11:37:52 am »
Erm not only for americans, secotid, floater were simple names to say etherlian was harder but sayeble, NRKLA is not sayble....

I bet you have never looked at the Swedish or Finnish wikipedia  :wink:

Northen_Wolf

New name for Antareans
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2006, 04:54:48 am »
lol. I am from Estonia thats a) near finland/sweaden B) similar languge to finnish, i find that those things are not hard to say but i belive many ppps will find complicated names hard to say taman should be simple...

Reenen

New name for Antareans
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2006, 07:18:00 am »
Tamin as plural?