project-navigation
Personal tools

Poll

Would you like to have a custom soldier?

Yes
8 (66.7%)
No
4 (33.3%)
Don't know
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 2

Voting closed: November 27, 2006, 01:08:37 pm

Author Topic: One custom soldier  (Read 4760 times)

sirg

One custom soldier
« on: October 28, 2006, 02:07:16 pm »
As I requested on the sourceforge, I think it would be nice to let the player create one custom soldier, choosing the looks, gender, and modifying the skill levels according with some rules (e.g. a limited number of points to spend for skills)

Gomeril

One custom soldier
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 05:58:42 pm »
Would be a very nice feature. What about a point system to create generic actors for multiplayer? I wouldn`t know how to code it, but have a certain experience with those point systems, being an old tabletopper.

Nevyn

One custom soldier
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2006, 04:02:14 am »
Also similar to this.... would be nice to have some kind of screening program for soldiers, might make them a lot more expensive(to reflect the screening) but so you can just say you only want soldiers with strength above 50 or whatever, have to be limits on the screening so you can't make every soldier perfect, but so that you can go for a few quality soldiers.

Of course if you are screening you would have a lot less soldiers so casualties would matter a lot more.... pro's and con's to doing it, but be nice for an option.

Northen_Wolf

One custom soldier
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 06:49:06 am »
IMHO in campaign it shouln't be allowed(least not above normal difficulty), as then player can focus on certain aspects too much (like hel*ofa sniper(fire acc max), HE guy(str max), Scout (TUs max) and can get SUPER team up fast...

One of + in X-com series was that u can't choose what soldiers u get.

In easy-normal mode why not and in multypalyer too :), but not in hard mode :!:

Nikron

One custom soldier
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2006, 09:14:17 am »
this soldier even might recive more skills due missions

klw

One custom soldier
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2006, 01:39:02 pm »
Another idea could be on reaction fire. Several weapons have different skills (ie tachion rifle: first fire explosive and second assault) but the reaction fire always is with the first fire even if the player has another kind of specialization.
So if you have an assault player equipped with tachion rifle his reaction fire should be with the second kind of fire. What do you think?

Northen_Wolf

One custom soldier
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2006, 02:54:12 pm »
Quote from: "klw"
Another idea could be on reaction fire. Several weapons have different skills (ie tachion rifle: first fire explosive and second assault) but the reaction fire always is with the first fire even if the player has another kind of specialization.
So if you have an assault player equipped with tachion rifle his reaction fire should be with the second kind of fire. What do you think?

Reaction fire should be random or chosed based by the turns that unit has left.
    Its less likely that u would aim at alien(s head/body) who you see jumping out near you, my first reaction would be snap shot, as auto would miss far too easly(i would just push the button wo. aiming, if u get more exp. with gun why not a auto shot...

Offline Czert

• Rookie
    • View Profile
One custom soldier
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2006, 03:20:09 pm »
Hmm, mayby you will be limited to custom only starting soldiers, and not newcommers ?
For all modes (even for hard mode).

Nevyn

One custom soldier
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2006, 05:04:03 am »
Quote from: "Northen_Wolf"
IMHO in campaign it shouln't be allowed(least not above normal difficulty), as then player can focus on certain aspects too much (like hel*ofa sniper(fire acc max), HE guy(str max), Scout (TUs max) and can get SUPER team up fast...

One of + in X-com series was that u can't choose what soldiers u get.

In easy-normal mode why not and in multypalyer too :), but not in hard mode :!:

Thats why I suggested limits on how far you can screen, but that way you can just say 'I don't want any utter idiots, or any utter weaklings no matter how good they are' Say, No-one with str & mind below 30 or something.
Not allow you to screen for above average stats, so you couldn't say 'only str above 80'  But you could cut out the people with the really low stats.

Someone mentioned in another thread the idea of the level of experience of the people you can hire rising as the game progressed which would alleviate this issue somewhat, but especially if unhired soldiers stay in the pool it could get annoying to scroll past all the mind 10 or str 10 idiots you never want.

Noone

One custom soldier
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2006, 01:55:18 pm »
I don't think this is a good Idea, because you are Commander of an whole Special Unit and shouldnt identify with only one Soldier this is a strategic Game not a Role Game or Ego Shooter.

Offline pete.lindsey@hotmail.com

• Rookie
    • View Profile
One custom soldier
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2006, 05:39:52 pm »
I think the option to create a custom soldier is an AWESOME idea, those who feel that it doesn't fit in with the genre, simply don't use the option.

I think the best way to do it would be to allow customization (appearance) of any soldier, and allow stat manipulation (based on reasonably strict rule set) to those soldiers that promote

Offline pete.lindsey@hotmail.com

• Rookie
    • View Profile
One custom soldier
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2006, 05:41:04 pm »
now I feel like an idiot... how do I vote?

Northen_Wolf

One custom soldier
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2006, 07:58:59 pm »
erm maybe revive some robotic soldiers? they improve longer as normal soldiers  but u can choose theyr skills and stats?

Noone

One custom soldier
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 08:19:11 am »
i also dont know how to vote  :lol:

I dont think one customized Soldier is a good Idea but it would be nice tho choose in which skill a souldier is trained when he is at base. But the Soldiers also should improve in the skills they use in Battle of course.