project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: why i can't fight alien with fists?  (Read 10809 times)

insanio

why i can't fight alien with fists?
« on: September 20, 2006, 08:44:03 am »

this is a bug or a feature?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 11:11:50 am »
Maybe because fighting aliens with your fists would get you killed 10 times out of 10? Why do you think soldiers are equipped with guns in the first place?

HaJo

Re: why i can't fight alien with fists?
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 04:38:01 pm »
Quote from: "insanio"

If you want melee-combat, you can use the combat-knife,
and later kerrblade and stunrod.

The problem with all these weapons is to get near enough to the alien,
as in "staying alive long enough to use it" 8)

HighXplosive

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 10:43:52 pm »
Imagine punching a sectoid.

Thats right.

Stupid.

insanio

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 04:10:11 am »
Quote from: "HighXplosive"
Imagine punching a sectoid.

Thats right.

Stupid.

If I out of ammo, if I forgot my favorite knife at home, what can I do? Lay down to my knees, take out white flag and surrender?!

IMHO, hands is important.

may be I want to train it on civilian :)

Drigovas

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 09:46:51 am »
This reminds me oddly of someone i knew in college who, when watching the movie 'aliens', made macho comments about "If i was there, i'd punch that alien *** right in the face and " blah blah

it's pretty silly.  Wrestle a bear kinda silly.

Frankly even the combat knife is pretty silly [and honestly I don't even bother researching the blade weapons]

If you're fighting an alien legion, and you stupidly didn't pack sufficient ammo, and stupidly left your knife at home [only stupid if you didn't pack the ammo], then yes, you get down on your knees and wait for death.

Oh, and hello everyone, neat project you've all got here!

Anderskorn

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 11:25:34 am »
Quote from: "Drigovas"
This reminds me oddly of someone i knew in college who, when watching the movie 'aliens', made macho comments about "If i was there, i'd punch that alien *** right in the face and " blah blah

Frankly even the combat knife is pretty silly [and honestly I don't even bother researching the blade weapons]

If you're fighting an alien legion, and you stupidly didn't pack sufficient ammo, and stupidly left your knife at home [only stupid if you didn't pack the ammo], then yes, you get down on your knees and wait for death.

can i give this guy a hand shake in person....    i cant agree more....  :!:  :!:

insanio

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 02:44:57 am »
Quote from: "Drigovas"

This is just a game.

I am very surprised that highly trained special forces can't use hand-to-hand fight. Nonsense!

ubequitz

« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2006, 03:58:18 pm »
Weaponless hand-to-hand combat would be a nice addition to the game even if it doesnt have much practical use. The only problem is animating this sort of combat (and the few modellers/artists we have contributing are flat-out with other aspects of the game at the moment).

jhcook1999

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2006, 09:49:14 am »
I agree, unarmed hand-to-hand combat is needed.  If your soldiers panic, and they drop all of their weapons, they need a way to defend themselves.  Also it is possible that the aliens have dropped thier weapons, (like after they're paniced, or after they've been stunned and gotten back up) and you don't want to kill them, just knock them out.

Let's say you KO a commander on a mission first off, you were lucky enough to have him close to the dropship when you arrived and now he's out cold.  If you have limited your supply of stunrods, and sent that supply looking for other aliens, the closest soldier may only have guns, and with reaction time in place, he may kill the commander instead of capturing him alive, making you go and find another commander and waiting even longer to advance.

Northen_Wolf

« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 08:31:51 am »
well u shouln't kill the alien with fists and i can't imagine how could u hurt the metal alien units with fists but something like punching to face (or between legs) to make them get stuned would be nice......

Sacrusha

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2006, 10:24:50 am »
Costs 10 TU , has melee range only and does 1 (or 0-1) damage, that would probably fit it, wouldn't it?
Of course there might be a chance for the soldier to be eaten in the process. :twisted:

kaeau

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2006, 07:29:55 pm »
opinion: hand to hand combat feature would be is a detail beside and not very important.

Northen_Wolf

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2006, 07:42:21 am »
kicking the terror units or cyborgs is bit dumb, i agree. BUT hand to hand could be usefull, Maybe some bits of iron inside of soliders gloves or something, Just to kick out alien lights...

Its ment to be suicidial but if u manage to kick alien has chance  to get stunned least for 1-2 turns if not more... Enough time to get some backup team guys to help u :D

Instead of Heavy body damage, it should cause stun damage....

kahlcke

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2006, 10:47:07 am »
hi, i think hand to hand combat should be included, at the beginning the damge should be really low, done by your fists,

but later in the game you´ll have the nano suit and the heavy nano suit, this two types of armor can´t be worn without servo motors or something like artificial muscles because i think they would be way to massive for humans without that type of help.
I definitly think that this suits should increase the damage done by the soilders fists. ( The Armor is made of the hardest metal known on earth, it is huge and massive and it should have strength increasing support motors/muscles )

Best regards.
Sebastian

Sorry, please excuse my bad english, i´m german and definitly not an industriously student. (?)