project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Some problems with UFO:AI  (Read 4566 times)

KaiS83

Some problems with UFO:AI
« on: August 10, 2006, 09:24:42 pm »
Hello Guys,

at first I have to say that this is a great project!! I loved the X-COM Series espacially the first part "UFO:Enemy Unknown".
So keep up you good work, I will follow it!

Today I've played the newest version and there are some questions left:
1. In the Christmas Demo I had sound, but now there is nothing... Do you have an idea why??
2. The difficulty-level is too hard I think. I equipped my Shuttle with the first 8 men in best equipment in the difficulty "very easy" and after 4 trials I had no victory  :cry: ; and this is only the FIRST mission... The old UFO was much easyer, this is very frustrating.
3. When I lost the mission the game crashes to desktop...

Greetings from Germany,
KaiS83

Rei

« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 09:41:48 pm »
Never say "the newest version" -- that statement is almost always going to be wrong  ;)  Name the version.  RC3?  Devel?

1.  I don't even know what operating system you're running on, let alone the release, let alone your game's console output.  Can't help you.

2a. "The old UFO" -- what version do you mean?  

2b. I win all the time at medium difficulty.  I usually lose a few soldiers, but hey.  Are you...
2b-1: ...giving your people a full range of weapons?
2b-2: ...giving your people armor, where you can?
2b-3: ...letting the aliens come to you instead of feeling that you have to rush to them all-out every mission?
2b-4: ...crouching before you fire, standing before you move?
2b-5: ...enabling autofire and using it responsibly (i.e., directions that aliens may approach from that won't cause friendly fire)?
2b-6: ...not being afraid to rush an alien if it will save your life, but estimating how much damage you're doing to them to make sure you'll be able to finish them off?
2b-7: ...providing the aliens with "bait" -- targets that they'll think they can hit, but in reality will probably miss at?
2b-8: ...withdrawing weakened people to safer areas?
2b-9: ...handling tough situations by guarding easy-to-hold areas, and spending your turns only ducking out to take potshots and reenabling autofire?
2b-10: ...keeping your people far enough apart, where possible, that an alien can't take out multiple people with a single attack?

2c: Are you playing the campaign or individual missions?  Some of the initial campaign levels, most of the aliens may have little more than kerrblades.  Look at what they're using.

KaiS83

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 10:03:36 pm »
Oh, you understand me, so my english is not as bad as I think... :mrgreen:

I'm using the RC3 version unter WinXP...

2a: I know it under "UFO: Enemy Unknown", the first part of the X-Com Series. Maybe it had another name here in Germany?
2b: Yes, I used every trick/taktic you listed... Every man has the best weapon you can buy in the beginning of the campaign. And, of course, a kevlar vest.
But I'll try again at the weekend... This time on "medium"...
2c: I'm playing the campaign, love to build the base and equip my heroes ;)

There is something else I have to post (should I post it in the "bugs"- forum? don't know):
- I built an Interceptor-hangar, but I cannot buy an Interceptor
- no other ufo comes along when I do not play the first mission
- where can I hire some researchers?
I will post other things when if I am seeing something...

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2006, 10:30:46 pm »
Yeah. RC3 is old and buggy. Get yourself the xdelta patch (from the forum) that will be released tomorrow or so. It should be fairly playable...

KaiS83

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 07:22:51 am »
Thx, will get it when I see it :)

I am very strained of this new version. Hope it will work better and I will report any bug I find...

Best Project ever seen, thanks a lot for your hard work!!

But there is another thing to discuss:
In "UFO:Enemy Unknown" there were damages on the map, like broken walls wenn you shoot at or craters in the ground if a shot does not hit...
Are you going to include this feature in future? Will be very interesting...

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 11:59:23 am »
This feature will NOT be added. It is not practical given the engine.

KaiS83

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 12:06:22 pm »
What a bummer...
Well, I am very strained of the next update, the XDelta patch. I forgot how addicted it is to play UFO... :mrgreen:

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 01:36:17 pm »
To console you a bit, breaking windows, exploding oil barrels, and such are possible, but we need someone to make particle effects for them and then someone to place them on maps...

v29a

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 02:18:05 pm »
Quote from: "Bandobras"
Yeah. RC3 is old and buggy. Get yourself the xdelta patch (from the forum) that will be released tomorrow or so. It should be fairly playable...

i am currently fighting with sharebigfile ... seems like it does not like my 9mb patch :/

63% for the fifth time ... :/

edit: giving up on sbf ... trying another host ...

edit2: new patch up, see the thread in my sig