project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Linux Repositories (Ubuntu)  (Read 12276 times)

Offline romanovzky

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Linux Repositories (Ubuntu)
« on: July 15, 2009, 06:27:42 pm »
Dead?

I've added the repositories for ubuntu jaunty in two computers.

I've installed UFO 2.3 via repository in one of them. Some days later the repository ceased to appear in aptitude or synaptic.

What happened?

Anyone else has problems with rep?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Repositories (Ubuntu)
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009, 07:19:00 pm »
Dead?

I've added the repositories for ubuntu jaunty in two computers.

I've installed UFO 2.3 via repository in one of them. Some days later the repository ceased to appear in aptitude or synaptic.

What happened?

Anyone else has problems with rep?

Hi!

I'm alive.
We have no repository at all, never had AFAIK!

-geever

Offline romanovzky

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009, 07:04:53 pm »

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2009, 07:09:07 pm »
http://ufoai.sourceforge.net/?page=Download

This is what?

Link to a contributors server who we haven't seen for ages. We don't have access to trylegaldownloads.de, sorry.

If you're on linux compiling is very easy. Grab the SVN and join beta-testing! ;)

-geever

Offline leavelllusion

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 06:30:56 pm »
How can I grab SVN and download latest develop version?

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile

Offline QkiZ

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 10:59:32 pm »
There are packages for Debian / Ubuntu:
http://www.spyrius.com/ufoai_debs/i386/

Offline leyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2010, 03:59:32 am »
Hi, just grabbed the 2.3 source off svn. I'm running Jaunty and there seems to be a problem running ./configure. I've got libsdl-image1.2-dev installed via Synaptic (where SDL_image resides, apparently) but the script is unable to locate it. It also cannot find the SDL_mixer libraries as well. Am I missing something here?

Offline docwild

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010, 04:36:27 am »
Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install make gcc subversion build-essential\
   libglib2.0-dev libgtk2.0-dev libgtkglext1-dev libgtksourceview2.0-dev\
   libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libvorbis-dev zlib1g-dev gettext libtheora-dev \
   libjpeg62-dev libpng12-dev libncurses5-dev libcurl3-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev \
   libxml2-dev libopenal-dev

will install the dependencies, libraries and software. Just copy and paste the whole lot into a terminal it will only install what isn't already on your system. ./configure should then work.

Follow the instructions here to make and install it (it'd probably be quicker to download the maps):

http://ufoai.ninex.info/wiki/index.php/Debian

After its finished, it wont take long to keep it updated. I cd into the build directory and I use this line:

svn up && make && make lang && make maps && make pk3 && make uforadiant && sudo make install && sudo make install_data
Which downloads modified source code and compiles only what's changed, if you've already done a full compile before. Modify the line for a lesser compile or you might be there for some time. Make sure you run it with the ./ufo script in the build directory ('./ufo' on command line in build)  rather than the executable in your path ('ufo' on a command line from anywhere). Hope this helps.

Offline leyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2010, 06:39:03 am »
That's the weird thing - I have the latest versions of all those packages. When I use that command it says everything is already installed but ./configure itself cannot find SDL_image, SDL_mixer and Mix_OpenAudio libraries.

Offline docwild

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2010, 03:57:43 pm »
That is strange. Could you post the output of configure? Plus the output of :

locate libsdl
locate libopenal
« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 04:00:10 pm by docwild »

Offline kir_b

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2010, 05:44:57 pm »
Hey guys, thanks so much for all your efforts in bringing this game to fruition, I can't tell you how excited I am to dive in.

I've spent the night writing up an install for newbies like myself on Ubuntu forums. In doing this I've come accross a few repositories, before finally finding one for Ubuntu Karmic Koala. It has version 2.2.1-1. I'm not sure how good/reliable this one is, but I thought that while I'm here, I'll take the time to share it.

It's located at the playdeb.net website.

Here's all the info, specially laid out for the newbie in mind.

If the link doesn't work, go to ubuntu forums's gaming and leisure section and do a search for "Installing UFO: Alien invasion - a how to"

Hopefully this helps someone.

Thanks again all.   ;D  Kirby

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2010, 06:17:19 pm »
I've spent the night writing up an install for newbies like myself on Ubuntu forums. In doing this I've come accross a few repositories, before finally finding one for Ubuntu Karmic Koala. It has version 2.2.1-1. I'm not sure how good/reliable this one is, but I thought that while I'm here, I'll take the time to share it.

It's located at the playdeb.net website.

The package on playdeb is/was broken. We've got many players asking for help setting it up.

And it is 2.2.1 the latest stable, which is old, very old...

-geever

Offline leyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 01:38:16 am »
I managed to fix my problem thanks to the folks at IRC :D Apparently I was missing a particular dev version of one of my packages that the script to apt-get install missed for some reason.

Offline kir_b

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 03:04:53 am »
The package on playdeb is/was broken. We've got many players asking for help setting it up.

And it is 2.2.1 the latest stable, which is old, very old...

-geever

I thought that I'd spend some time playing before I responded to the "is/was broken" part of your comment. Whatever was wrong appears to be fixed.

I'm happy to report that it does seem to be running fine. Also, I thought that I'd point out that the Synaptic package manager tells me that it is not version 2.2.1, but instead is version 2.2.1-1~getdeb2, which is quite different from the versions that are available from all the other repositories that I've tried (the best I could find was 2.1.1 versions, until this one).

If that is such an "old, very old" version, what does a newbie have to do to get a newer version included in a repository? I would love to be trying out the newer version, but the instructions for installing the svn version are a little above my head and I'm sure that is the same for most newbies.

I look forward to a response . Thanks again. Kirby

P.S. It looks great at this point. superb job guys (and girls).
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 03:07:11 am by kir_b »