project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Linux Repositories (Ubuntu)  (Read 12168 times)

Offline leyon

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Linux Repositories (Ubuntu)
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2010, 03:39:53 am »
Well - the way I did it to get the 2.3 dev version, in order, was:

1-- Download subversion - you can do this via Synaptic / apt-get

2-- Copy paste the following line to download the source code (this is the game as it is written by the coders, not compiled into playable form yet). You can view it here:

Code: [Select]
svn co https://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufoai/ufoai/trunk
3-- Copy paste the line below to get all the dependencies for the game. This is taken from this page.

sudo apt-get install \
   libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libvorbis-dev zlib1g-dev gettext libtheora-dev \
   libjpeg62-dev libpng12-dev libncurses5-dev libcurl3-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev \
   libxml2-dev libopenal-dev

4-- Open a terminal to the directory where you downloaded the source, unpack and type ./configure. If you set things up right you should know. I got tripped up when some dependencies weren't installed (you need the dev package versions for everything)

5-- After that is done, type make. Wait for that to finish, then make lang.

6-- Download the pre-compiled maps via ./contrib/scripts/map-get/ instead of making it yourself, since it takes forever to do so. You need python for this. Get it here if you don't have it.

7-- Run ./ufo after all that is done, and enjoy!

I'm not sure if I missed out anything so if you see something that needs fixing just point it out, fellas :)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2010, 10:03:18 am by leyon »

Offline docwild

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2010, 12:48:45 pm »
There is one thing I would suggest adding to the wiki. Installing the build-essential package, most linux users have it as a matter of course but newbies tend to be unaware of it. It just sets up a system to allow compilation.

Offline kir_b

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2010, 09:55:43 pm »
Well - the way I did it to get the 2.3 dev version, in order, was:

1-- Download subversion - you can do this via Synaptic / apt-get

2-- Copy paste the following line to download the source code (this is the game as it is written by the coders, not compiled into playable form yet). You can view it here:

svn co https://ufoai.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ufoai/ufoai/trunk
3-- Copy paste the line below to get all the dependencies for the game. This is taken from this page.

sudo apt-get install \
   libsdl1.2-dev libsdl-ttf2.0-dev libsdl-image1.2-dev libvorbis-dev zlib1g-dev gettext libtheora-dev \
   libjpeg62-dev libpng12-dev libncurses5-dev libcurl3-dev libsdl-mixer1.2-dev \
   libxml2-dev libopenal-dev

4-- Open a terminal to the directory where you downloaded the source, unpack and type ./configure. If you set things up right you should know. I got tripped up when some dependencies weren't installed (you need the dev package versions for everything)

5-- After that is done, type make. Wait for that to finish, then make lang.

6-- Download the pre-compiled maps via ./contrib/scripts/map-get/ instead of making it yourself, since it takes forever to do so. You need python for this. Get it here if you don't have it.

7-- Run ./ufo after all that is done, and enjoy!

I'm not sure if I missed out anything so if you see something that needs fixing just point it out, fellas :)

Hey guys, I've got a bit of problem here.

I've followed the above instructions and when I run the start up command, all I get is the intro movie, which loops. If i click the window the movie pauses...and that's as far as it goes.

I then followed the instructions on the wiki, which has the exact same result when I try to run the game.

I'm sure I have all the dependencies.

But the thing that is most disturbing for me, is that every time I open a terminal or the synaptic package manager, they use upwards of 50% of my cpu's resources! (I'm running an AMD64 4000+)

I'm more than happy to add further info if requested, as I really didn't want to overload this post with too much info.

Any suggestions would, of course be very appreciated.

Kirby

Edit: Sorry, I rebooted Ubuntu and everything returned to normal... Including UFOAI. It now runs...Yay!!! Time to start the testing. Sorry if any of you have spent anytime looking into this. What can I say...other than I'm a complete newb/boob. Sorry all and it looks great!!!
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:06:46 am by kir_b »