project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 4X and "Freelancer-type" freeware games  (Read 23724 times)

Ildamos

4X and "Freelancer-type" freeware games
« on: June 25, 2009, 07:58:52 pm »
^Subject.

Know of any freeware game belonging to the types above?

There's Notrium (I first learned of this from Odie), FreeOrion, and Vega Strike.

There was also this black-and-orange site that I stumbled upon. It featured a VERY well-made Freelancer type of game but now I can't seem to find it. Anyone know of that site?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: 4X and "Freelancer-type" freeware games
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 09:17:29 pm »
Bobbens is making a game similar to Escape Velocity, called naev. He isn't going to make a Windows port, though.

Ildamos

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 09:28:18 pm »
No dice for me then; I am a Windows XP user.

odie

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2009, 02:24:45 pm »
^Subject.

Know of any freeware game belonging to the types above?

There's Notrium (I first learned of this from Odie), FreeOrion, and Vega Strike.

There was also this black-and-orange site that I stumbled upon. It featured a VERY well-made Freelancer type of game but now I can't seem to find it. Anyone know of that site?

Eloz Ildamos,

Not too sure when u mentioned 4x and Freelancer.
Do u mean Freeware 4x games?

Or u generally looking for freeware (genuinely freeware) games, (any genre).

I have alot of RPGs Freewares..... lol. Laxius Power 1, 2, 3 would be the best in that genre IMHO. Another one tat mimick Final fantasy's..... would be Endless Fantasy (written and coded by one of the original creators of FF). A cute one like Diablo would be Freedroid RPG (Not the classic).

Otherwise, would be games like Battle for Wesnoth - Another excellent game with a similary to Warsong (Heard of this wonder Sega game?)

Others like sports / cars - i cant really be bothered.

Oh, there is a very oldschool hacker game called - Decker. Lol. Its fun IMO. At least to me. Play the life of a cyber hacker. If u like, i can show u my final savegame (which btw, does not have a definate ending).

Okie, i gtg home..... just finished stocktaking for the day, 3 more days to go.... (pukes).

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2009, 02:51:17 pm »
He means freeware 4X or Freelancer type games. How hard can it be?

odie

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2009, 07:33:03 pm »
He means freeware 4X or Freelancer type games. How hard can it be?

BTAxis,

Well, maybe u might want to be enlightened..... 4x can refer to 4x space sim, 4x civilization like, 4x fantasy, 4x futuristic, etc....

They can be further classified into 4x real time or turn based.

In addition, Freelancer is but a game of space sim 4x. Unless he's looking specifically for "Babylon 5 Freeware" type of game, he can generally refer to tons of many others..... I merely is clarifying....

Yeah, and tats how 'hard' it can be BTAxis..... I have been playing games since i was 10. And i am 2 decades + on......

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2009, 07:51:37 pm »
Nnnnno. I don't think you get it. 4X is a pretty well defined genre, and Freelancer isn't 4X at all. I don't know what you think 4X means, but I'm fairly sure it isn't what the rest of the world thinks it means. As for the rest of your "subdivisions", I don't think the OP cares.

odie

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2009, 03:48:54 am »
Nnnnno. I don't think you get it. 4X is a pretty well defined genre, and Freelancer isn't 4X at all. I don't know what you think 4X means, but I'm fairly sure it isn't what the rest of the world thinks it means. As for the rest of your "subdivisions", I don't think the OP cares.

Ah well, nvm tat. I dunno Freelancer well, i only see from its website and reviews.... not the must-have-die-hard-type of game for me.

And yes, 4x is like that..... If u were with underdogs before it went down, u will see..... But it does not matter to me if the world dun cares.... (or Whoever OP is)..... I am just worried that their 'dun care attitude' affects those who wish to know, and get misinformation around. Yupz.

Aniwae, diverted. Back to Ildamos....... no more of this 4x discussion..... :-\

So Ildamos: Watcha really looking for? lol.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2009, 11:45:21 am »
He's looking for Freeware games that are either like Freelancer or in the 4X genre. He has stated that VERY CLEARLY. There, I've given you links that explain what everything means. Now you have no excuse to be confused anymore.

odie

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2009, 12:15:46 pm »
He's looking for Freeware games that are either like Freelancer or in the 4X genre. He has stated that VERY CLEARLY. There, I've given you links that explain what everything means. Now you have no excuse to be confused anymore.

Okie on the clarifications for Ildamos' needs..... But its not that i have misunderstood his question.

What i am asking him was More Specific questions pertaining to 4x games. As stated in the wiki (btw), it says,

4X games are a subgenre of strategy games, and include both turn-based and real-time strategy titles. The gameplay involves building an empire, which takes place in a setting such as Earth, a fantasy world, or in space. Each player takes control of a different civilization or race with unique characteristics and strengths. Most 4X games represent these racial differences with a collection of economic and military bonuses, although a few games such as Sword of the Stars offer widely different abilities to each race. 4X games do not typically feature a campaign or scripted narrative, as this would interfere with the freedom of building a massive empire over multiple hours of gameplay.

Note that line that says, "Earth, a fantasy world, or in space." This is what i am asking for in specifics.....

What i asked Ildamos:

Eloz Ildamos,

Not too sure when u mentioned 4x and Freelancer.
Do u mean Freeware 4x games?

Or u generally looking for freeware (genuinely freeware) games, (any genre).

I specifically asked him if he only wants FREEWARE or probably he might be thinking along the line of ABANDONWARE or SHAREWARE.

This is called expansion of query..... in case he might not be aware of such categories.

This is also btw, called SHARING OF GOODWILL and WITH GOOD INTENSIONS. So yar.

I have alot of RPGs Freewares..... lol. Laxius Power 1, 2, 3 would be the best in that genre IMHO. Another one tat mimick Final fantasy's..... would be Endless Fantasy (written and coded by one of the original creators of FF). A cute one like Diablo would be Freedroid RPG (Not the classic).

Otherwise, would be games like Battle for Wesnoth - Another excellent game with a similary to Warsong (Heard of this wonder Sega game?)

Others like sports / cars - i cant really be bothered.

Oh, there is a very oldschool hacker game called - Decker. Lol. Its fun IMO. At least to me. Play the life of a cyber hacker. If u like, i can show u my final savegame (which btw, does not have a definate ending).

Here, I am expanding the query further by zooming into more 4x games, but with different geas / flavors.

4x as stated in the wiki links you provided,

Many strategy games arguably contain a similar "explore, expand, exploit, exterminate" cycle.[5] But game journalists, developers and enthusiasts generally apply "4X" to a more specific class of games,[5] and contrast 4X games with other strategy games such as Command & Conquer.[6][7] Hence, writers have tried to show how 4X games are defined by more than just having each of the four Xs. Gaming sites such as 1UP.com have stated that 4X games are distinguished by their greater complexity and scale,[8] and their intricate use of diplomacy beyond the standard "friend or foe" seen in other strategy games.[9] Reviewers such as Wired have confirmed that 4X games feature a range of diplomatic options,[10] and that they are well known for their large detailed empires and complex gameplay.[11][12] In particular, 4X games offer detailed control over an empire's economy, while other strategy games simplify this in favor of combat-focused gameplay.[8]

State in a very difficult (already as it is) summary, that 4x = "explore, expand, exploit, exterminate"  in general and specifically actually having more than those 4 categories alone.

Hence, it can go beyond from just Command & Conquer (real time) to Space Empires / Master of Orion (Turn Based), and can diversify from space type, military, to fantasy (like warlocks and mages) to a couple more.....

Hence BTAxis, no offense / insult intended, thanks but no, i am NOT confused nor unknowing.

So, yar, let this conversation continue b/w me and Ildamos if it may.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2009, 12:24:30 pm »
Okie on the clarifications for Ildamos' needs..... But its not that i have misunderstood his question.

What i am asking him was More Specific questions pertaining to 4x games. As stated in the wiki (btw), it says,

Note that line that says, "Earth, a fantasy world, or in space." This is what i am asking for in specifics.....

And I told you, he probably doesn't care. ANY 4X will do, any at all, as long as it's freeware.

What i asked Ildamos:

I specifically asked him if he only wants FREEWARE or probably he might be thinking along the line of ABANDONWARE or SHAREWARE.

This is called expansion of query..... in case he might not be aware of such categories.

It also doesn't matter. If you know of anything in those categories and feel the distinction should be mentioned, then just post links to those games and mention the specific type of software with the link. Don't go asking around about it because that doesn't help.

Here, I am expanding the query further by zooming into more 4x games, but with different geas / flavors.

4x as stated in the wiki links you provided,

State in a very difficult (already as it is) summary, that 4x = "explore, expand, exploit, exterminate"  in general and specifically actually having more than those 4 categories alone.

Well don't. There is absolutely no merit in turning a simple question into a difficult one. You don't have to bother with subcategories and types of 4X. If you think it's 4X, post it. If not, don't. That's all.

Command & Conquer (real time)

Not 4X, this is RTS.

Hence BTAxis, no offense / insult intended, thanks but no, i am NOT confused nor unknowing.

And no offense or insult intended but yes you are.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 12:55:20 pm by BTAxis »

Ildamos

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2009, 01:41:36 pm »
Hmm. Yes, I'm afraid BTAxis is right Odie. (I might have stopped the argument earlier. Apologies for not having replied sooner; I'm in the office atm.)

Yes any freeware 4X will do. (Though I prefer sci-fi based ones.)

Examples of 4x games: C-Evo (freeware), Galactic Civilizations 2 (retail), FreeOrion (freeware).

There are also some free Freelancer games like the ones made by StarWraith.

Any more suggestions? (I still can't find that game with the orange-and-white webpage. I forgot the keywords I used to find that one or the path I took that led me there. Dang.)
« Last Edit: June 27, 2009, 02:25:03 pm by Ildamos »

odie

« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2009, 07:55:55 pm »
Okie, on links, here's some of the greatest fanmakes of games u might want to try:
(PS: If u want to know more abt these games, their history or stuff, u can try asking me. I have been following em since their start.....) [PS2: All i list are legal freewares or abandonware links..... yupz.[/url]

First off, for those who LOVES XCOM1, here's the multiplayer version - UFO 2000

Okie, here's some more others......

Star Control 2 fanmake : The UrQuan Masters
Star Control 2 is an excellent game with an extremely good storyline. Check it out! This is an open source project now, with many of the original creators (like musicians and programmers) on this team now.

Startopia Startopia Writeup
I have an original version of this.... dunnoe where to get a download.... let me search.... ok, here's a demo. For those who cant, try this Another demo dl site

Homeworld 2 - I am sure u heard of it. There is a freeware MOD version of this here.

Ascendancy : Ascendancy
This is one of the oldest 4x game in space genre probably dos based. Its abandonware now..... Quite cool back then, though i prefer the Space Empire series now (which unfortunately is NOT freeware, though there are tons of mods).

Fragile Alliance: Fragile Alliance

OOooo, i remember having an original BOXED version of this game! It was so fun back then! :D Try it, its abandonware too now! (PS, i got alot of these games from the underdogs and abandonia).

OH!! OMG, did i tell u all yet?? The Thai who ran the underdogs got it re-registered!!! Its now @ Home of the Underdogs

Emperors of the Fading Sun: Another old game..... at Emperors of the Fading Suns

OMG! Its 1am! I ma just list links first of some of those i know then....

Master of Magic -> [urlhttp://www.abandonwaredos.com/abandonware-game.php?abandonware=Master+of+magic&gid=MTI2MA==]Download[/url]
Manual Here.

FreeCol -> A colonization Remake
If u need the manual....

Master of Orion -> The Game that inspires Tons more..... Game Here @ Abandonia
PS: U DEFINATELY going to need the manual.... lol

Ooooo, and Homeworld 2 is available for download in freeware! Here's the link at a slow rapidshare website (better than none) Download here

Oh, if u like Sword of the stars, see demo here Demo

And i LOVE Space empires... try the demos here for Space Empire 4 and Space Empire 5 100 turns demo

If u like Battletech, there is an opensource MegaMek.

And another mech like RPG (not exactly 4x) Gearhead 1 and Gearhead 2.

And ok, i ma diverting from 4x... lol
RTS Warzone 2100

Transport Tycoon like game - Simutrans

Oh yar, Free Orion! Omg i forgot: The current freeware source or u can get an old dos based original here

Oh yar, VegaTrek too.... Download page

D2X-XL another 3D shooter like.... Project Page Download

I ma not a big fan of FPS, but here's one for those fans Nexuiz, a quake like game.

Civilization Inspired game (quite different from CIV1) FreeCiv

Vega Strike - another space like 4x type game Vega Strike

Oh, a cool 3D RTS (Yes, i am not big fan of 3D RTS, but this is good) Glest

Okie, one for the racing simulators fan VDrift An excellent 3D racing game.

Privateer - Wing Commander Inspired Game Download Page - Btw, this game's main page under restructuring last i went there some time back.

Phew.......... almost 2am. lol. I ma going to get some sleep..... grrrr.....

Ildamos, let me know which falls into your likings and i see if there are more of those types of genre.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2009, 08:04:25 pm by odie »

Ildamos

« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2009, 05:13:00 pm »
Mwehehe! I've been a fan of Nexuiz waaaaaay before 2.4

Thanks for all the links though. I'll check on them later.

Btw, I don't think that DL link for Homeworld 2 is legit. Sierra hasn't released that one as freeware. I have a box here at home gathering dust. I'd like to play it but you know, day job.  :(

And do focus on 4x and Freelancer-type games. Refer to the wiki links BTAxis gave for reference. (Some of your suggestions fall out of those genres.  :P)

Thanks for the links!

odie

« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2009, 06:40:02 pm »
Mwehehe! I've been a fan of Nexuiz waaaaaay before 2.4

Thanks for all the links though. I'll check on them later.

Btw, I don't think that DL link for Homeworld 2 is legit. Sierra hasn't released that one as freeware. I have a box here at home gathering dust. I'd like to play it but you know, day job.  :(

And do focus on 4x and Freelancer-type games. Refer to the wiki links BTAxis gave for reference. (Some of your suggestions fall out of those genres.  :P)

Thanks for the links!

DL link for homeworld 2 is a MOD (i.e. not the original game but a ....hmmm. MOD? Lol.) Its open source btw. :D

And yupz, i got distracted with providing good games hahahaha.....

I dun rmbr playing freelancer myself.... but yar, some of those do fall into 4x games. :D and here the listing = freeware / abandonware / open source.

I wont be listing commercial products not for dl here :D