Personal tools

Poll

What feature does Alien Invasion need to take over XCOM1

Better AI
More types of equipment/aircraft/aliens/research
More varied missions
Just make a bug-free clone of XCOM1 with better graphics and music
Change everything, make it a different game

Author Topic: What Alien Invasion needs in order to replace XCOM1 as the best game  (Read 32263 times)

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: What Alien Invasion needs in order to replace XCOM1 as the best game
« Reply #75 on: July 09, 2009, 08:38:24 pm »
as for me, i would like to discuss this topic in the more general sense (maybe not in this particular thread the way it has become, though).
like what are the attractive sides of an ufo game what's done nicely and what's annoying, and also maybe there would be something that could be applied to ufo-ai.
Please, start another topic with "what's annoying" bits, would be glad to read.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 09, 2009, 08:42:21 pm »
Please, start another topic with "what's annoying" bits, would be glad to read.
i am not very good at starting a topic in such provocative and stimulating way as people like sirine, i am afraid.

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 09, 2009, 08:48:35 pm »
i am not very good at starting a topic in such provocative and stimulating way as people like sirine, i am afraid.
Then nicely ask Sirine.

Offline keybounce

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 10, 2009, 10:43:05 pm »
actually, compared to the start of the game, this psi tactics made the game too lame, and i havn't even tried to play xcom1 for some years.
and i don't feel like playing it anytime soon, i know it's going to be the psi tactics.
It is possible to play, and win, in XCom 1 without using Psi.

I never use Psi.

Xenomech

« Reply #79 on: August 06, 2009, 02:29:43 pm »
That could be the reason why there is no worthy successor to XCOM1.  Maybe game creators should wake up & see what the real problem is, instead of concentrating on 3D graphics and more of everything.  More doesn't mean better.

You are absolutely right.  But, then, the people on the project have stated they are not trying to build a something greater than X-COM, and there's nothing wrong with that.

That being said, are there any projects out there that *are* setting out to be everything the original X-COM was?  Every other similar project I've seen always ends up being something other than "taking everything that made X-COM great and building on that", and that's really what I believe most X-COM fans are looking for.

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 06, 2009, 05:12:16 pm »
I think one big reason that no 100% real clone exists is that it is still a lot of work, without being very interesting ...

I see many other pure clones never being finished. It is the nature of open source development that
keeping many different people together on one goal being very... hard.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2009, 07:05:45 am »
I think one big reason that no 100% real clone[...]
what would be the point of making 100% real clone?

Offline alexg

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2009, 06:14:43 pm »
WOW Sirine ...i'm so agree with you, it's like you read my mind :) !!!

I've voted no.4. (Just make a bug-free clone of XCOM1 with better graphics and music)
Here are my reason:-
1) The original XCom have something all other does not have... GAME BALANCE.
2) Super reaction interaction. It make turn-base playout like realtimes... many game FAIL to do that, including JA2, AND all other series of XCOM. (INCLUDING "Terror from the Deep" even they are using the same engine... the game inventory, maps and creature grew too big... hence game balance collapse)
3) Allow cheating... awkward enought... XCom allow you to do save/load in combat, and you might get different result from different action. This some how enrich the game play experience.
Example:- You know there are alien in a room. So, you save the game.
1st try) You open the room door. Opps, reaction fire... you were dead. Reload the game.
2nd try) You blast open the room door. Opps, reaction fire again... you were dead again. Reload the game again.
3rd try) You blast open from another angle, throw in a grenade...kabooom.... you smile... cause you are happy on the out come. Don't you?

The series of events that happend above, save->load->save->load->save...is actually something very HUMAN in nature... you fail, and you try. Xcom make it better... dynamic and randomize, sometimes 30% shot do hit target, sometimes 90% do miss the target... sometime a miss hit kill an alien, sometime the alien suppose to die but after 3~4 hit, the alien still standing there... hightly unstable. Yes, hightly unstable, but somehow total UNDER control... [means that you can save and load anytime].

Try out the game yourself below....refresh your joyfull memory..
Found at google...

X-COM is still being sold. Let's not do that.