Personal tools

Poll

What feature does Alien Invasion need to take over XCOM1

Better AI
More types of equipment/aircraft/aliens/research
More varied missions
Just make a bug-free clone of XCOM1 with better graphics and music
Change everything, make it a different game

Author Topic: What Alien Invasion needs in order to replace XCOM1 as the best game  (Read 32265 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: What Alien Invasion needs in order to replace XCOM1 as the best game
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2009, 01:38:02 pm »
Although I can't really speak for BTAxis, I did speak with him privately and got the impression that he isn't totally gone - he's just taking a break for a while, at least from the forum.

BTAxis has been involved with this project for a long time, and has invested a lot of work in UFO:AI, and after all the constant hard work he's put in, I think he really does deserve a vacation for a bit.

Please don't try to start a petition or otherwise pressure him - I think it is best to just let him have his break for a while.

If you really want to talk to him, you can send him a PM.  I don't think he's irrevocably gone complete and total from the project, and I don't want anyone else here to get that impression, but I think he needs his break, so please let him do so.

odie

« Reply #61 on: July 06, 2009, 08:12:42 am »
Although I can't really speak for BTAxis, I did speak with him privately and got the impression that he isn't totally gone - he's just taking a break for a while, at least from the forum.

BTAxis has been involved with this project for a long time, and has invested a lot of work in UFO:AI, and after all the constant hard work he's put in, I think he really does deserve a vacation for a bit.

Please don't try to start a petition or otherwise pressure him - I think it is best to just let him have his break for a while.

If you really want to talk to him, you can send him a PM.  I don't think he's irrevocably gone complete and total from the project, and I don't want anyone else here to get that impression, but I think he needs his break, so please let him do so.

Nods nods. I agree with Destructavator.

Quoting an old chinese saying: "Resting, is the necessary preparations for a longer journey".

Rest well BTAxis, and we all know tat u cannot help but still pop in every now and then into these forums. :P

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2009, 04:37:44 pm »
Pointless poll locked. Its results, involving things we've expressly said we don't want and are never going to do, will be justly ignored.

I know exactly how BTAxis feels, and it's one of the reasons why I rarely work on UFO:AI anymore. Remaking X-COM has never been the goal and will never be the goal. First, you don't mess with perfection. Second, making more of the same is not something to strive for. Third, our engine limitations would result in an inferior copy of a game that's now almost twenty years old. WHAT IS THE GODDAMN POINT?

It's that exact same attitude which has ensured they don't make original games or movies anymore, just shit with ever-increasing numbers on the end, because apparently trying or learning anything new takes people out of their precious comfort zone. It has really, genuinely amazed me that any community could be so unappreciative of a project's goals or the efforts of its team.

Regards,
Winter
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 04:40:00 pm by Winter »

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2009, 11:53:54 pm »
if people leave like that, i wouldn't be extremely certain about them coming back later.
funny how a post that could have been ignored can create so many passionate responses.

and, btw noticed some interesting statement (about the psi tactics in xcom1):
『homunculus』: yap, the enemy unknown. I can see you still having fun with that tactic of yours[...]
how can you see what i am having fun with, is there some hidden webcam in my room somewhere?
can you see what i am having fun with right now while i am writing this post?
: )

actually, compared to the start of the game, this psi tactics made the game too lame, and i havn't even tried to play xcom1 for some years.
and i don't feel like playing it anytime soon, i know it's going to be the psi tactics.

Offline Kenner

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2009, 04:38:18 am »
It is unfortunate that those who want to complain tend to post, while those of us that actually support the project tend to sit back quietly letting the team get on with its work, and happily and patiently waiting for the next release, for this tends to give the impression that the whole community is "unappreciative". For myself, and I suspect many others, the original poster does not represent my view of the project or the efforts of the team. I think UFO:AI is a great project, and I have been fascinated to monitor its progress. It's amazing to me that so many people would give freely of their time to create a special game free for all to play. Please ignore the naysayers - they are the minority.

It's that exact same attitude which has ensured they don't make original games or movies anymore, just shit with ever-increasing numbers on the end, because apparently trying or learning anything new takes people out of their precious comfort zone. It has really, genuinely amazed me that any community could be so unappreciative of a project's goals or the efforts of its team.

Regards,
Winter

odie

« Reply #65 on: July 07, 2009, 05:00:02 am »
It is unfortunate that those who want to complain tend to post, while those of us that actually support the project tend to sit back quietly letting the team get on with its work, and happily and patiently waiting for the next release, for this tends to give the impression that the whole community is "unappreciative". For myself, and I suspect many others, the original poster does not represent my view of the project or the efforts of the team. I think UFO:AI is a great project, and I have been fascinated to monitor its progress. It's amazing to me that so many people would give freely of their time to create a special game free for all to play. Please ignore the naysayers - they are the minority.

Yupz yupz! Its unfortunate, Kenner. 5^ with u. :D

And well, dun be so bothered by such too.

I like BTAxis and Mattn's ideas I seen before - Contribute if you want to see things move faster yourself. Dun like the graphics : join the artists' team. Dun like the codes - fiddle with it and join the coder's team. Dun like the speed of release, Download the SVN and build them yourselves. Haha. :D

Offline Fistleaf

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2009, 03:57:41 pm »
As I have already said, the "original poster", i.e. me, has no intention of attacking UFO:AI as a game.  Just giving my opinion which is different from the admin does not mean I am "unappreciative" and a "naysayer".  Maybe the admin has encountered too many of such flamers over the years to become so paranoid and defensive and label every opposing view as being against the UFO:AI team.
Also, what is the point in locking a "pointless" poll which is not going to affect the game development at all (as stated by the admin)?  As long as there is no attack on race, gender or religion, why not allow the freedom of expression?

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2009, 08:00:11 pm »
[...]
Maybe the admin has encountered too many of such flamers over the years to become so paranoid and defensive and label every opposing view as being against the UFO:AI team.
Also, what is the point in locking a "pointless" poll which is not going to affect the game development at all (as stated by the admin)?  As long as there is no attack on race, gender or religion, why not allow the freedom of expression?
it's no use arguing here about it, lol.
people here have trained for _years_ and they will tear you to tiny bits in just mere seconds!
and even if you survive for some time, you know what side the banhammer is on.

the last stable release was about a year ago.
so, some new poster comes here and is used to software lifecycle talk like they talk about it everywhere in the job context, and there will be 20 posts long forum war in just a few days.
or someone says just anything about the priorities, or whatever.

i think the poll was locked not so much because of the pointlessness of it but because of the pointless and long flaming that was in the thread.
it might look pointless to lock the poll for that.
just sit back and relax.

for your information, talking about "freedom of expression" sounds like another forum war is about to start.
the forum mods have no obligation to respect any kind of freedom of expression, etc.

actually what i myself have not figured out is what is so irritating about mentioning anything about playability of the dev build (i think it's nice if people think that dev builds are also ok), as some newcomers did a little while ago and, you could guess, there was a forum war about it.
and it was a rather passionate one (again), for example some people said that btaxis was not qualified to be a mod because of his personality traits (an old topic that comes up again and again, btw).
but, you know, btaxis has no obligation to be anything at all.
but, people have their expectations of what is to be expected, and they think they are right, and they can't digest another point of view.

so, i think the poll was locked because of the forum war.
and i think saying anything about "freedom of expression" was a very bad idea on your part.

i hope it helped with your bewilderment : )

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2009, 03:01:09 am »
Actually the poll was locked simply because it really is irrelevant, effectively asking "How can this project become something it isn't supposed to become?" or "How can this game accomplish doing something it doesn't aim to do in the first place?"  I thought Winter explained it quite well, we're not trying to replace or re-make XCOM.

For what it is worth Fistleaf, I appreciate the fact that you apologized, thank you.

As for homunculus's last post, I wouldn't say that I fail to understand what he posted, but I certainly wouldn't agree with it and would take it with a grain of salt - I can see that some of us here are working to further develop this project and actually be constructive, and others in this forum are clearly not.  If you don't mind, some of us here would like to get back to work...

odie

« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2009, 06:01:41 am »
Actually the poll was locked simply because it really is irrelevant, effectively asking "How can this project become something it isn't supposed to become?" or "How can this game accomplish doing something it doesn't aim to do in the first place?"  I thought Winter explained it quite well, we're not trying to replace or re-make XCOM.

For what it is worth Fistleaf, I appreciate the fact that you apologized, thank you.

As for homunculus's last post, I wouldn't say that I fail to understand what he posted, but I certainly wouldn't agree with it and would take it with a grain of salt - I can see that some of us here are working to further develop this project and actually be constructive, and others in this forum are clearly not.  If you don't mind, some of us here would like to get back to work...

5^ with u on tat. :)

Winter's explanation was flat and to the point - UFOAI is UFOAI, it will not be and never will be XCOM clone / MOD. Yupz. I like tat simple explanation.

Plus, work is always needed to be done here, so no point in such posts again. In fact, on other forums, if its something simply out of topic like this, i have seen MODs simply locking it, and if such a thread is reopened in a new thread, tat person is p-ban! So, to a certain extent, our MODs are already very tolerant, lest we forget.

:D

(There is always an out of topic stuff for things NOT relating to the game..... this particular thread section is for General Discussion on Things WITHIN UFOAI. :D)

Toodles! Back to compiling the game for today! haha.

Offline Fistleaf

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2009, 03:11:26 pm »
Ok, fair enough.
I don't think I will be posting in this forum anymore.  It is very tiring to have to self-censor myself for every single sentence so that I would not unknowingly anger the admin.

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2009, 06:44:55 pm »
Yeah, well, I'm sorry you came to this forum at a bad time and got caught up in this - This thread and a few others sure did become quite a mess...

*sigh*

Whether you stay or go is your choice - I personally don't have any hard feelings against you, Fistleaf, but if you decide to go, then farewell, and I hope you enjoy 2.3 when it finally comes out.

Offline misiek

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2009, 08:12:11 pm »
For people who are disappointed that ufo: ai isn't and won't be enhanced version of x-com - maybe those projects will interest you:

http://nefurii.my-place.us/ - this is freeware remake of original ufo: enemy uknown using data from original game. For now author works on multiplayer (you can play as aliens or as x-com), but later he plans to implement single player (on both sides).

https://www.ufopaedia.org/index.php?title=User:Seb76 - this is extender which modifies original executable and adds some new features and fixes many bugs.

Maybe instead of trying to change ufo:ai into x-com remake you could somehow help those two projects.

And also - let authors of ufo:ai accomplish their own vision - they deserve it, because they spend so much time working on this project. And remember that it's their free time, which could be spent on watching tv, playing games, sports, family etc. Please appreciate it.

Also - this is open source project, so if you want to make an x-com remake you are free to gather your team and fork this project.

frankiben123

« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:32 pm »
wow....nice post.....

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2009, 08:36:55 pm »
Yeah, well, I'm sorry you came to this forum at a bad time and got caught up in this[...]
thanks, that was more or less exactly what i was trying to say.

some newcomer comes from a different context and says something, and there will be a long heated argument about it that will make no one happy, and will also kill the discussion.

as for me, i would like to discuss this topic in the more general sense (maybe not in this particular thread the way it has become, though).
like what are the attractive sides of an ufo game what's done nicely and what's annoying, and also maybe there would be something that could be applied to ufo-ai.

there seems to be very little or none of this kind of threads in offtopic section.
if offtopic is the right place for this, maybe moving such threads there, especially if started by newcomers, would be a nice solution in the future, and would stimulate more such discussion in offtopic?