project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: I cannot play UFO:apocalypse! Plz help  (Read 6517 times)

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
I cannot play UFO:apocalypse! Plz help
« on: April 22, 2009, 05:00:39 pm »
Hi
I wanted to try apocalypse but i cannot get it to run (i have win xp). It doesnt say anything helpful, just goes black but never starts. I read some forum about it but i got no good answers. Any tip?

Thanks
Erik

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: I cannot play UFO:apocalypse! Plz help
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 06:33:06 pm »
Hi, I have a copy of apocalypse, the original CD version, and I recall it took work to make it run on Windows xp, but it is possible.  It sure has been a while since I've played it or set it up though.

I can try to help you - First I need to know what version you have.  Do you have the original like I do, on a CD?  Or did you download/purchase from someplace, such as Steam or one of the other web-based services?  Or someplace else?

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:42:06 pm »
And if native running doesn't work you can try dosbox...

-geever

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 08:50:06 pm »
Very true, DosBox (with special fine-tuning and tweaks just for X-COM Apoc.) is one of several methods to get the game working, although again it depends on what version you have, which is something that needs to be determined first.

Part of the issue is that that game was made before Windows XP was, and, without getting too technical, the game talks to the CD drive and hardware - as well as configuring other options (sound, music, etc.) in a way that was meant for older versions of Windows and DOS, with older optical drives.  Now, with newer DVD drives, newer versions of Windows, and everything different, it won't work quick-and-easy out-of-the-box, and that also goes for DOSBox default settings, which have to be changed with some versions of the game.

Some versions of X-COM Apocalypse will work only if the CD is copied to the hard drive and utilities are used to "pretend" a folder/directory containing the copied files is an old CD drive of the type the game looks for.  Other versions I've seen require having the CD in a real optical drive but using a utility to "fake" a modern DVD drive to look like an old CD drive.

Some versions require an old utility called "FakeCD" to make it work, if I remember correctly.

If the game is from an original CD the installation program also needs a special environment as well as the playing environment, otherwise it might fail or refuse to install, a major headache I ran into myself until I figured it out.

Of course, if the game is purchased more recently from an online service, that right there also changes things.

Again, I'd need to know exactly what version it is and where it came from.

Edit: I did a little quick research, apparently with the newer version of DosBox (compared to the last time I ran the game) the process isn't as difficult or complicated as it used to be.   ;)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 09:10:42 pm by Destructavator »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 09:26:16 pm »
I remember FakeCD. Never did find out if it was just another way to do subst.

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 09:45:36 pm »
Its a downloaded version (not legit) called:
X-Com Apocalypse Collectors Edition

I did try to run it through dosbox but using the defealt settings and that didnt work.
Thanks for any pointers
Erik

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 10:54:53 pm »
Its a downloaded version (not legit)...

nnnnnnnggghhh.....    :(

I'm sorry to break this to you - and I won't blame you if you hate me for this - but I happen to be one of those people who actually pays for all the software he uses (as well as the music I listen to) and I really can't support illegal copies of software.  Yes, I know many people do it, and yes, I know how to do it myself if I wanted to, but I don't.  I'm not going to go into a lecture about all the reasons, but I have them, and they are good ones, more than just the benefit of not having tons of viruses and nasties from cracks and such polluting my computers.

I *will* say that if you don't want to buy the $130 CD off Amazon.com, you can get the game for only $5 from Steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/7660/

Beyond that, all I'll say is that you can go to the DosBox website, look up the game under the compatibility lists, and read what others did to make it work on their systems.

It would be hard for me to help you anyways since illegal software is often altered anyways.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2009, 12:14:43 am »
It would be hard for me to help you anyways since illegal software is often altered anyways.

Eh, not really, unless you're referring to copy protection cracks, but those typically don't affect game performance. Plus I don't think Apocalypse uses any in the first place.

odie

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2009, 05:06:12 am »
Hi suliman,

Ok, though i am super not like ppl who do piracy, (yes, i buy alot of my fav games if i can find em in market, even if its 2nd hand), i will try to help here.

Xcom apocalypse (yes available for 5 bucks somewhere on the online download market - get that), it has to be run on dosbox. I am an avid user, and can probably guide u to get it to work.

I have mine running on DOSBOX v0.72

Then, depending on which version u rip, you need to install to a directory (obvious isnt it?).
Next, startup dosbox with the default settings (usually its good enough).
Use the basic dos commands to change directory to your game directory.
A note here, try not to have the game directory have more than 8 characters. Good eg is like: "C:\Games\XcomA"

Run the game file (usually xcom.exe, for me that is, i changed it, not sure whats the original now, care to advise).
If it works, good.

If not, you will need to probably emulate the CDROM.
If not wrong, u can try this:

mount d d:\XcomA -t cdrom

mount is to tell dosbox to emulate the CDROM.
D is the drive of the cdrom that will be emulated as.
d:\XcomA well, this is the directory that i want u to emulate, in this case, you should use the directory of your gamedrive.
-t is simply a para, i ma not going into details here....
cdrom simply tell the dosbox to emulate tat drive as a what, in this case CDROM. Duh.

Run game.

If this still do not work, u will need to tweak the settings of DOSBOX further.

Try this:
Since this is a CD-ROM game, you will need to mount either the physical CD or an ISO image while the game is running. The settings are straight forward, but for best performance you will need at least 200MB of free space on your mounted C drive to install. If installing with the minimal (20MB) or standard version (60MB) does not work, use the optimal version (200MB).

Typical mounts will show around 100MB of free space. Since this is a huge game (for its time), you will need the flag -freesize. Try mount C YOURDRIVE -freesize 1024 if you need intend to use the optimal version.

Use the default settings for Sound Blaster 16, and all will be well. The speed of the CD-ROM drive can be ignored if you are mounting the ISO.

If all fails, goto this forum. Download their version and follow Azrael's instructions.
Forum Help

If even that fails,
Go to be like me, have a standby version 6.22 pure dos machine, buy an original Xcom apocalypse, and install onto that machine, run and play. lol.

(PS: Yes, i used to have one of those, until i fully so call master dosbox).

Offline suliman

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2009, 08:07:23 am »
ok thanks for the info guys.

I know inlegit downloading is a deviding subject, thats why i wanted to let you know so you can dicide wether to help me or not.

Ill try some of these things out.
Erik

odie

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2009, 10:17:31 am »
ok thanks for the info guys.

I know inlegit downloading is a deviding subject, thats why i wanted to let you know so you can dicide wether to help me or not.

Ill try some of these things out.
Erik
Okie, all the best.

Actually, its good to buy original games so tat the developers can sustain. Only for those companies tat gone bust (like abandonwares) or freewares stuff do i do downloading.

Else, i will usually try out, and attempt to buy at least a copy (first or 2nd or mani hands) of the software. Also for keepsake purposes. lol. :P

Aniwae, if u have some problems tweaking with DOSbox, try to check out this dosbox support:
Dosbox Forum
Wiki Knowhows