project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: First crew in first base  (Read 4731 times)

zoltic

First crew in first base
« on: January 29, 2009, 05:53:44 pm »
Hello,

From the "new" interface to affect pilot and team to aircraft, it is impossible to choose the ninth recruited soldier to affect him to an aircraft. And now (SVN 22119) Stiletto ask for 8 soldiers for its crew.

You can recruit pilots but not affect them to a plane.

MN_ExecuteSetAction: node "aircraft.button_squad" doesn't exist
BDEF_SelectBaseSlot: Unknown airequipID: 2
on console.

Equipments for Stilleto and Firebird are same.

All this make game unplayable.

Offline RudolfoWood

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: First crew in first base
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 06:06:14 pm »
that menu is actually under heavy work, I think bugs will be removed in a few days.

9 soldiers for an aircraft was a bug before - we don't have any aircraft that takes more than 8 actually! There is much work left to increase this 8-per-team limit.

zoltic

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2009, 06:17:26 pm »
If you have 2 aircrafts, it is impossible to assign a crew to the second aircraft.

At the beginning you have a firebird (8 soldiers) and a stilleto (1 soldier). 8 + 1 = 9
So you must recruit 9 soldiers and it is impossible to affect the 9th to any aircraft.
I this case you have only 7 soldiers in the Firebird or no soldier in the Stilleto.

zoltic

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2009, 07:10:56 pm »
If I can have an opinion, as the last playable interface is in SVN 22055 and we are now at least at 22119 (64 more) maybe would it be better to reinstall the old interface until the new is working. Like this it will be possible to test other features modified by upgrade of SVN.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2009, 01:09:12 am »
If I may make a guess here (as I can't speak for the programmers), I think playability is what the stable releases are for, the last one being 2.2.1.

As someone who has programmed in the past in other languages, I can say that I've found that sometimes when doing heavy development on something, part of a program, it is often better to keep the developing parts implemented to see how its coming out while working on it, rather than trying to make every single tiny revision playable (which really slows things down).

Also, development on this project moves at a good pace, by comparison many other open-source games I've seen barely move at all and often die or fizzle out.  I'd expect the new menu to be finished quite soon.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 01:11:24 am by Destructavator »

zoltic

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2009, 09:23:38 am »
I was programmer when I was  30 years old and know exactly what must work and what "must" have bugs. I don't use svn to play but to test and help programmers to find bugs.
Every nearly 10 or 15 "releases" I restart a game at the beginning because I know that solving a bug in one place add two in another.
Actually it is not possible to test others works because of this. I know it will be very long and hard to debug this part which is very complicated. Maybe will it be better to have the possibility of testing others works from other programmers than blocking on this bug.

Would you prefer I write :
Game is "untestable"
than
Game is unplayable

Sorry I don't speak very well english and time to time don't explain clearly what I mean.

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2009, 12:50:32 pm »
Well, when you play 2.2.1 and report a bug, you hear: it's not relevant anymore, play on 2.3.
But when you try to play on 2.3 and report that you can't play or can't even start. You get to hear: it's developement, it's not supposed to be playable, play stable....

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2009, 01:33:29 pm »
Yeah. That's how it works. If you want to play, use 2.2.1. There may be some bugs, but asking about them is pointless. 2.3 is a development version. It's not very playable, but any effort to make it so is appreciated.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 01:58:49 pm »
Hello. I am the man working on the aircraft GUI.

Aircraft GUI is an interleave of 4 menus; a big work. I can't work on that without little step; it also allow to have feedback. This comments already help me to improve some part of the GUI, or help me to know where i should work. Plus, if a developper want to dev (somebody already help me (Kracken, geever), and i hope somebody will) a part of the GUI, he can. If we do every thing on a working copy, we can't have feedback or work collaboratively.

Yesterday i add a graphical "todo" widget (little red box displaying tooltip). I hope it can help user to understand (and use) WIP GUI (is something working/or not, how to use that, what is comming on...)

Sorry for disruption, but i realy can't contribute without commiting very little step of work. I hope the GUI will soon became usable.

zoltic

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2009, 02:15:55 pm »
Thank you Bayo for these elements.

I know it is really a very big work. I was developer in my young years if I can help you, just ask and explain what you need.

Unfortunately I can't access svn since last night. I don't know if it is a problem on my installation (we have troubles due to Saturday storm) or on sourceforge server. Somebody has an idea ?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2009, 03:00:35 pm »
It's working for me.

Offline DuKe2112

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2009, 03:54:15 pm »
Sigh, to make the point clearer I use zoltics suggestion and replace the words:

Well, when you test 2.2.1 and report a bug, you hear: it's not relevant anymore, test on 2.3.
But when you try to test on 2.3 and report that you can't test or can't even start. You get to hear: it's developement, it's not supposed to be testable, test stable....

After all it's a game, so every playing is testing and for alomst every testing you need to play.

I know you can't keep it running all the time, but at the moment we have only two states:
The stable, which is too old for testing and the developement version which is constantly broken, sometimes to the point that the compiler complains about the syntax.

Maybe you should simply add a testing branch where you copy the somewhat stable dev version before you start on a modification that is prone to brake the game for a longer time.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2009, 04:12:23 pm by DuKe2112 »

zoltic

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2009, 04:04:36 pm »
Thank you for answer BTAxis.
It seems we have "micro shut" which cause time out.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 04:23:24 pm »
Duke2112, if you want to maintain a branch like that, talk to mattn. If not, you're just going to have to make do with what you have.