project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFOpedia question  (Read 16095 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: UFOpedia question
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2008, 06:39:29 pm »
the languages and language codes are in base/ufos/languages.ufo - maybe that will help you, too

Voice

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2008, 08:22:29 am »
Just a quick thought, but wouldn't it make sense to actually use the ISO language codes to keep track of the languages?  You don't have to worry about defining what languages mean what, because it's already taken care of, and you can provide a fallback to matching on the first 2 letters of the language code if there's no exact match.  (For example, if you have an en_US, and someone's system is set to use en_GB, you can detect that and match on the en until someone works up an en_GB translation.

gruush

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2008, 04:18:47 pm »
Just thought I'd jump in with my first post and mention that I am experiencing this same problem. Did anyone ever come to any conclusions about this?

I'm downloading the 2.2 universal binary now, just to make sure I was on the right version. I'll poke around with it a bit and report back!

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2008, 05:04:01 pm »
I'm downloading the 2.2 universal binary now, just to make sure I was on the right version. I'll poke around with it a bit and report back!

There are lots of problems with that binary, including that it's built with an older version of SDL that sometimes causes the game to crash when switching levels in the battlescape.  I guess it was easier to blame the library than it was to provide a new binary.

gruush

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2008, 08:52:59 pm »
There are lots of problems with that binary, including that it's built with an older version of SDL that sometimes causes the game to crash when switching levels in the battlescape.  I guess it was easier to blame the library than it was to provide a new binary.

Hrm, so is there a different build I should be using for a stable Mac experience?

I was able to resolve the text file issue by selecting a language in the options.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2008, 04:56:28 am »
Hrm, so is there a different build I should be using for a stable Mac experience?

Unfortunately, 2.2 is as stable as it gets.  There are rumors of a 2.2.1 bugfix release, but you shouldn't hold your breath waiting for it.  If the devs don't put up a replacement binary with the new library, i will see about putting something together.

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2008, 11:12:10 pm »
An easy fix for the SDL bug is to simply download the updated SDL, SDL_ttf and SDL_mixer frameworks and replace the ones in UFO:AI.app/Contents/Frameworks with the newer versions. They are API compatible and seem to work well. I've been running the game this way for a couple months now without the level switching bug happening.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2008, 07:16:31 pm »
An easy fix for the SDL bug is to simply download the updated SDL, SDL_ttf and SDL_mixer frameworks and replace the ones in UFO:AI.app/Contents/Frameworks with the newer versions. They are API compatible and seem to work well. I've been running the game this way for a couple months now without the level switching bug happening.

I was unaware i could do that.  Nice hint, here's a virtual beer!   ::)  FWIW, the TTF and mixer frameworks in the binary appear to be up to date, so i think you only have to replace SDL.framework.

Jorin

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 04:55:56 pm »
I'm having the same issue.  Worked fine for me the first time I played, and then I quit to check my email.  When I restarted, all the research results and proposals were replaced with the_txt_file_names, like so.

I thought I could clear it up by choosing a language too, so I chose English, loaded my game, and no luck.  I'm running v 2.2, the .dmg.

Otherwise, I haven't had an issue.  Thanks so much for making this.  I've been waiting a long time for XCOM on a mac.

EDIT:  Got it working.  Switched to another language, switched back to English, quit immediately, relaunched, and it worked!
Yes!  Thanks for posting your fix... I was having the same issue; the "pick another language" approach seems to have cured me, too.