project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Blowi'n Holes In Buildings ;D  (Read 13035 times)

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
Blowi'n Holes In Buildings ;D
« on: April 21, 2008, 04:32:47 am »
I realize that the game engine doesn't support fully destructible terrain :'(
But just hear me out,

I was watching Weaponology on the military channel US Army Engineers.
After the Engine is adjusted, we can have demo packs ;D

Use e'm to Blow Holes in Walls, Drop Down Through the Celling, and as Manually Detonated Land-mines 8)

npsbre

Re: Blowi'n Holes In Buildings ;D
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 04:27:36 pm »
I'm quite content with not having destructible terrain/buildings.  In XCOM1, it was often easiest to just blow apart most buildings, which strikes me as somewhat silly.  You've got a secret alien fighting organization, but it goes around conspicuously burning up the local real estate?  I like the sort of covert tactical feel of UFO:AI, which emphasizes covering doors and proper entry techniques even more than XCOM.

That said, I'm looking forward to destructible minor cover like furniture, etc.  This is what always annoyed me in tactical shooters like the Rainbow 6 series -- bad guys hiding behind indestructible cardboard, etc..

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 05:39:41 pm »
If i understood this right u can just destroy objects.
So if u want to destroy buildings the walls, the floor, everything have to be those objects. Is it possible to arrange those Objects in a random way? Like creating buildings, gardens, places or whole maps with a program?

For example a park:
First step u have to create a way through the park. Like drawing an applet u can make this with a few lines starting on random positions and ending on another random position (of course with some extra conditions for crossing paths or for not going backwards or something)
Second step arrange some trees. Lets say a number between 8 and 12 trees spread over the map. Trees built on the path should be removed.
Third step: Other objects like benches, fountains, street lamps, some people...

Possibly (nearly) every map being created ingame before the next mission starts.

knightsubzero

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2008, 06:02:58 am »
special/covert forces do blow holes in buildings, blowing open doors, windows etc, take the SAS iranian embasy siege (thats the british/aus elite forces, the ones that make delta force look like pansies) they detonated explosives on the plate glass windows before entry to the building, and its certainly a common tactic to blow open doors.

blowing gates open etc, it does certainly give you more options, if you have a rocket launcher, and you know an alien was in a building, i doubt you would debate blowing a hole in the wall to kill the alien.

i do realize there may be engine limitations, but it would add, not subtract to the gameplay.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 09:19:57 am »
Nobody said it was going to subtract from gameplay. It's just not going to happen because of the engine limitations (also mapping work involved - every destructible object has to be made manually, separately).

Or are you saying you're going to make it possible?

Offline shevegen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 02:21:10 pm »
In XCOM1, it was often easiest to just blow apart most buildings, which strikes me as somewhat silly.

I dont think this is a legit argument, because even in reallife objects can be destroyed. Maybe the impact power in XCOM1 etc... was too low, but it can be done in reallife rather easily, and what is more importantly is that I think this is fun.

But I understand that the current engine does not allow this, and without effort to change this it is kinda pointless to talk about it,
so lets focus on things that can more readily be changed :-)

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2008, 06:57:45 pm »
Maybe the impact power in XCOM1 etc... was too low, but it can be done in reallife rather easily, and what is more importantly is that I think this is fun.

Shevegen, i like your style!

Offline Zorlen

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2008, 08:39:14 pm »
I think I could be nice to have even few pre-defined destructable wall sections that could be used as alternate entrances. These could be denoted by having cracks (as in Quake2) or by just having a bit weird lighting :-)
On realism subject - I've read that US troops were using sledge-hammers to make holes in stormed buildings' walls in order not to rush straight into enemy emplacements that covered entrances.

knightsubzero

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2008, 12:12:55 am »
having certain sections that could be blown out would be the best way to do it within the limits of the game engine. 

btaxis, there is no harm in discussing things that may or may not go into the release, as time goes on in development of a game you can find new ways of doing things that make previously unheard of things possible.   think outside the box, or let others do it for you, open discussion can lead to new ideas, ideas that may or may not be feasable.

you never know whats around the corner.

Robbos

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2008, 05:22:41 am »
Blowing things up was the reason anybody played xcom. Just like the only reason people played starship troopers was the nukelaunchers

Lol

XCOM1

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2008, 03:53:53 pm »
I see that even after a 1 1/2 years this is still a sore subject...

http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=636.msg3721#msg3721

Too bad that it cannot be implemented.

Sophisanmus

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008, 01:39:48 am »
I don't know enough about the engine to answer this question inside my head, but is there any remotely reasonable method for deforming models and map objects during play (without preset animations)?  I do get the impression that it may well be out of the bounds of possibility, but my brain's going to keep bugging me until I get an answer from someone who knows...

Jagger

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2008, 12:31:34 pm »
Now I'm not really in the know for how it all actually works, but "Without preset animations"? I highly doubt it. Some sort of moving warp or bubble effect may be possible, but I would have to say not remotely reasonable.

Offline MITSGS John

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2008, 06:04:40 pm »
During Operation Urgent Fury in Panama, the US Army used Korean War vintage 90mm recoilless rifles to bust bunkers and make holes in standing structures, but everyone within ten klicks was aware of it. Not covert.

I'd like to see the "hard target buildings with soft target furniture" aspect because it forces the player to be careful; teaches you to not to get your only grenadier stuck down a blind alley with one IT round loaded, a kerrblade ahead and a kerrblade behind.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2008, 09:05:36 pm »
I liked nuking barns with fusion disks ;P