project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2 small, but nice features for the squad window  (Read 3492 times)

Yeager

2 small, but nice features for the squad window
« on: February 01, 2008, 05:56:55 pm »
Hello there,

what I miss in the Squad Window are the following features:

- Button for Auto-Taking-Off anything from the selected soldier (could be specialized in taking off primary, secondary and other stuff);
- Button for Renaming Soldiers (you only may rename them in the purchase/recruit screen - why not in here?);

Afaik both features should be easy to code.
TakingOff just pulls anything (or the specified) off the soldier.
Renaming should just be copied to this window, it is almost done in the other.

Besides this I want to thank you for this great game!
I loved X-Com and your version comes nearer to that game experience than any other clone.
In my opinion it is even better than all parts of the "After-" series (Aftermath, Aftershock, and so on).

With regards from germany :)

SpaceWombat

Re: 2 small, but nice features for the squad window
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2008, 07:26:28 pm »
I already started a topic about menu systematics, see here
http://ufoai.ninex.info/forum/index.php?topic=2153.0

I think the whole management of the squad will be redone to a certain point and the standard patterns for equipment will solve most problems with too many clicks per soldier.  ;)

One of the default patterns could be "no equipment" for a new start from the scratch.

I do not see what you gain from a special button for getting rid of the primary weapon(s) but a smart handling would be to get rid of all ammo for a certain weapon if this weapon is removed from equipment (could be a problem with several weapons using the same ammo).

Offline EuchreJack

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2008, 08:49:44 pm »
Since equipment loadouts are stored with the dropship and not the soldiers, you can just unload then load the soldier on the dropship, and the soldier will have nothing in the squad menu.

Offline eleazar

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2008, 03:21:28 am »
Hopefully the inventory will be more accomidating in the next incarnation.

For instance if I drop a weapon over and equipped weapon, currently nothing changes.  But the intuitive thing is for the dropped weapon to replace the old weapon.

Similarly if i drop something into the backpack, but don't position it quite right so that it overlaps an occupied square, the item is isn't placed in the backpack, but goes into inventory.  It would be much more convenient if the dropped item went into the backpack somewhere else (if there was room) or displaced the item it overlapped if there was not.

Since equipment loadouts are stored with the dropship and not the soldiers...

That is not the case.

Offline EuchreJack

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2008, 04:37:02 am »
Sorry, I'm not sure of the technical aspects of the game, but I know that if the soldier is removed from the dropship, the equipment is removed from the soldier.  Try it, you'll like it.   ;D

Yeager

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2008, 03:11:18 am »
Sorry, I'm not sure of the technical aspects of the game, but I know that if the soldier is removed from the dropship, the equipment is removed from the soldier.  Try it, you'll like it.   ;D

Good idea.
But I don't like this :).
It is because any of my bases got 9 soldiers, not 8.
If one is too injured to get into a next mission another one replaces him.
But for this I have to reorganize the inventories of both.

But as I read, the soldier management will be redone anyway.
So anything's fine :).

Offline EuchreJack

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2008, 07:19:03 pm »
I usually only keep 8 soldiers at a base, letting the injured soldiers recuperate in civilian hospitals off-base.  Still, using the hospital building, with a medic, and keeping the soldier on base should lead to quicker recovery times.  However, it does take up living space, building space, plus the difference in healing rates isn't significant to the best of my knowledge.  Maybe I'll try it in the new release.