project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.2 Mac dmg install  (Read 23404 times)

goldenmonkey

2.2 Mac dmg install
« on: January 17, 2008, 03:39:38 pm »
Thanks to whoever built the mac dmg for 2.2. As downloaded on a fairly standard mac setup, the application immediately terminates with no error message.

To make it run, you'll need to install the SDL framework by hand- download it from the SDL site, then stick the framework into the /Librarary/Frameworks

Then it all works.

This step wasn't required for 2.1- perhaps there should be a note in the install package, or maybe the dmg should include the SDL and do this step automagically.

Thanks for all the work getting the mac port to work- it's a lot more than the original X-COM folks ever did.

drix

Re: 2.2 Mac dmg install
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2008, 02:30:49 am »
Hi,

Same problem here with a MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo processor with ATI Radeon X1600.

If I start with the command line I obtain this error:
Code: [Select]
/Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo; exit
Welcome to Darwin!
Reading ~/.bash_profile
Reading ~/.bashrc
[drix00] drix00 $>/Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo; exit
dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL
  Referenced from: /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/SDL_mixer
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
logout
[Process completed]

If I install the SDL framework into the /Librarary/Frameworks the game start correctly.

Thanks,
Drix

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2008, 07:00:00 am »
the problem is, that noone on the team has mac access - the dmg was kindly created by a mac contributor (tchristney) - but not tested on a lot of systems. if you have experience in building dmg, please have a look and send us patches. the important stuff is in build/install.mk and src/ports/macosx/installer

thank you very much

kreo123

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 08:40:37 pm »
It starts after installing SDL as described crashes soon after that :(

I have santa rosa c2d 2.2GHz macbook white, with intel x3100 graphics. Startup screen shows up, but dissapears if you try to click on it.

this is the last output on terminal:
===== UFO Initialized ======

Cinematic videos/intro.roq not found
Switch grab input off
S_Music_Start: Playing music: 'music/PsymongN3'

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:04:35 pm »
Hi Everyone. I'm the guy responsible for your problems. I haven't modified the build setup from 2.1, other than to enable a universal binary. I know what is happening with the SDL problems and the fix is quite easy. Basically there are two options - install the frameworks globally as you have done OR to install them in UFOAI.app/Contents/Frameworks/. I will modify the copy files section of the Makefile to do the right thing, although the best I'll be able to do is put a patch on the sourceforge site. I'll reupload the dmg after fixing the issue.

Other than that SDL issue, is the program working for you?

kreo123, could you use Console.app to see if there are any errors reported in there (and post them here if there are)?

ox

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 11:07:38 pm »
i installed the sdl framework like drix after getting his error message.
but the game doesnt starts at all.

does some have an idea why?

the ufoai icon jumps at the dock. but the nothing else happes.

mbp c2d x1600

thx

Offline tchristney

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 01:35:52 am »
Please start /Applications/Utilities/Console.app.

Look for entries related to UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo and report any errors here. This is the ONLY way that I can have a hope of helping anyone with these issues.

ox

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 12:27:23 pm »
19.01.08 12:24:52 [0x0-0x7b07b].UFOAI[1325] objc[1325]: Class SDL_QuartzView is implemented in both /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL and /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/SDL. Using implementation from /Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/../Frameworks/SDL.

thats all. sry

kreo123

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 04:15:45 pm »
i installed the sdl framework like drix after getting his error message.
but the game doesnt starts at all.

does some have an idea why?

the ufoai icon jumps at the dock. but the nothing else happes.

mbp c2d x1600

thx

Hi, I had a same problem and found solution in another thread - you have to start the game in fullscreen.

ox

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2008, 06:10:09 pm »
there is only one button.
how can i start in fullscreen?
thx

kreo123

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2008, 06:37:28 pm »
Run it form terminal.app adding +set vid_fullscreen 1

So it should be run with something like this (from terminal):
/Applications/UFOAI.app/Contents/MacOS/ufo +set vid_fullscreen 1

However, you'll probably have crash problems on tactical missions... I managed to finis only 1 out of 3 without a crash :(

stormcrow

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 12:18:17 am »
Just to confirm that the DMG doesn't work as built but adding the SDL files as per tchristney's instructions does resolve the issue.  FWIW I didn't need to use fullscreen.

I've only been playing briefly but have had no issues with the first 3 missions, UFO interceptions or any other game activities.

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 12:44:00 am »
I can't get this game to even start, and I really don't understand what you guys are talking about? SDL's? Framwork? what does all this mean. someone please help me getting this game running. I'm dying to play this game! I'm losing my mind trying to figure this out, lord have mercy I even downloaded dosbox to try and play x-com and I don't understand that either. I'm losing faith here.

stormcrow

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 02:20:01 am »
Grab the files from http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.13.dmg

Open the DMG and copy the SDL.framework folder to either /Library/Frameworks or (as I did) to <your install path to game>/UFOAI.app/Contents/Frameworks/

Then sit back, run game and enjoy!

BTW has anyone noticed there's a bug with reaction fire always taking 7 TU's and not reflecting the weapon or fire mode?  If not I'll open another topic for it.

legend_c4a@yahoo.com

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 02:50:30 am »
hey thanks for the help stormcrow, but I still need help. I put the sdl.framework folder in frameworks, what about the devel-lite folder that comes with the sdl.framework folder?

anyway, my problem is this, I can get as far as a screen with 3 characters and the planet behind them, then these options open up, volume etc....but as soon as I click on the screen the game crashes, I can still hear the music, but nothing else.....

what should I do now?