project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Feature Request: More non-lethal weapons  (Read 4123 times)

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Feature Request: More non-lethal weapons
« on: August 03, 2007, 07:12:19 am »
I'd like to see more non-lethal weapons.  The stun rod, flashbangs and gas grenades just don't seem like enough to me.

Here are some of my thoughts, based on modern weapons:
Dart guns + Tranquilizer darts
Tazers
Rubber bullets
Pepper Spray (Mace)

The above might not be very effective at first, perhaps requiring research to improve them for use on aliens.  I imagine other dart types might be possible, too.

Rubber bullets probably wouldn't do much vs. armored foes.

These are all available today.  I see no reason they (or something equivalent) wouldn't be available in the future.

Thank you.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 03:07:16 pm »
It's not that they aren't available, it's just that they're ineffective. The aliens don't all have the same physiology, so you can't use an allround tranquilizer on them all. Plus, we already decided we would not include a toxigun equivalent into the game. Rubber bullets wouldn't be effective at all against most aliens (though they might work against human enemies), and pepper sprays aren't military weapons in the first place. It would be silly for PHALANX to even issue them to soldiers.

An electrolaser is in the works, however, and it may have stun capability.

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 04:05:17 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
It's not that they aren't available, it's just that they're ineffective. The aliens don't all have the same physiology, so you can't use an allround tranquilizer on them all. Plus, we already decided we would not include a toxigun equivalent into the game. Rubber bullets wouldn't be effective at all against most aliens (though they might work against human enemies), and pepper sprays aren't military weapons in the first place. It would be silly for PHALANX to even issue them to soldiers.

An electrolaser is in the works, however, and it may have stun capability.

Okay, would this be available at the beginning of the game or would it require research?  I'd really like it if it had stun ability.

How about the tazers if no?

Couldn't the pepper spray be something the civies would defend themselves with?  I've seen a section on the wiki for civilian weapons.  I'd love to see an alien go after a woman with a kerrblade only to get sprayed in the eyes...

inquisiteur2

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:36:11 am »
assuming that the aliens have eyes indeed.

Offline b_e

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007, 11:21:39 am »
ok... i have been playing the game for a short while and feel the need to point out two things.

1) in the game, we reverse engineer the plasma grenade into a size useable in the grenade launcher.

2) later in the game, we invent a combination of skin agents that allows us to capture our foes.

I just feel that given the logic to the reinventing invention we should be able to do the same with the gas. This would give us another weapon to capture with, and make the grenade launcher a more useful option in the game. I will also be looking for other plain sight issue to note but wanted to put this one out in the open.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007, 12:06:11 pm »
You do realize that the grenade launcher is already one of the most powerful weapons in the game, right?

Offline b_e

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2007, 02:10:27 am »
You do realize that the grenade launcher is already one of the most powerful weapons in the game, right?

Every weapon in the game is the 'most powerful' that’s the point of balancing them out... The thing that sets the luncher apart from most others is its ability to shoot a variety of ammo ranging in effect between a shotgun and a missile launcher. I am just saying that giving it the added capacity of the gas grenade for capturing is sort of a hugely out in the open choice that no military would avoid.

BTW the military does use chemical agents like mace or pepper spray (they are just stronger versions); just tick off an MP (just short of anything they could shoot you for of course) and you will find out.

Offline Czert

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2007, 01:44:46 pm »
It's not that they aren't available, it's just that they're ineffective. The aliens don't all have the same physiology, so you can't use an allround tranquilizer on them all. Plus, we already decided we would not include a toxigun equivalent into the game.

But if they invade earth with no EVA suits (used by astrounauts in space) or something simmiar, then thy must come from enviroment simmiliar conditions (oxygene level...etc - breathable atmosphere). Yes, they can come from different G-planet, but this affect only body-building, metabolism...etc ,but  not breathing.

Then - if use breating stun gas( e.q. CS-gas), then must KO (or combat-incapable) aliens too - yes, at different efficency,and if use most efficint (most powerfull)- then allins must be KO or killed. Comparing to earth living cretures - if you use tranquilelizer dart to KO elephant and use same on smaller animals - they are KO too, or worse - in koma or killed.  No one surrive intact.
And can I see reason  why are toxiguns not  incuded in game ?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 05:52:12 pm »
All aliens have a respirator device embedded in their throat. They breathe whatever atmosphere is suitable to them. Inappropriate gases from Earth's atmosphere are filtered and missing ones are supplied from small containers attached to the respirators.

The aliens will never be affected by agents that have to be inhaled.

Surrealistik

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2007, 08:39:02 pm »
Couldn't the pepper spray be something the civies would defend themselves with? I've seen a section on the wiki for civilian weapons. I'd love to see an alien go after a woman with a kerrblade only to get sprayed in the eyes...

Impliment immediately plz.

Do it 4 teh lulz.