project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Idea for another Alien Interest  (Read 1808 times)

andycon

Idea for another Alien Interest
« on: August 09, 2007, 07:02:51 pm »
I've been reading through your development wiki, and saw that alien activity will be based on interest (starting low, getting higher at speeds determined by difficulty level, etc.). The list you have looks good, and I know there's already a long list of things to be developed, but I had an idea to add to the list of alien activities: propaganda.

This could be something like mind control, or even just voluntary support of the aliens by humans, in the form of human barriers between your troops and alien bases, or front line militia that the aliens use instead of their own troops. Even spies (could even be aliens disguised as humans?) infiltrating your base and sabotaging something. It would definitely add to the "paranoia" and widespread panic feel that would certainly exist if ever aliens did try to destroy/take control of the planet. If nothing else, current events have shown us that (no matter what side of this conflict you're on) some people will follow leaders, no matter how destructive or crazy the mission seems to other people (whether it's for money, religion, or nationalism). I bet at least some humans would embrace/follow alien leadership, but it's not essential to your story, just would be a neat addition in my opinion.

Offline EuchreJack

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Idea for another Alien Interest
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 12:08:12 am »
I agree with andycon about including human-alien interactions.  The inclusion of a human-alien militia would tie in with the JA mod, at least with the humans as advisaries.  Plus, history has shown that invaders, no matter how cruel and evil, can find supporters among the invaded.

The only problem I see is that the aliens in this game seem to feel an extreme sense of superiority.  I wonder if the aliens in this game would even want to bother with human helpers.  Still, I think the aliens would rather see human casualties than alien ones.  I'm afraid I don't understand the alien perspective enough to say whether they would be willing to use human followers.

Human infiltrators could start closer to sensative instalations for base invasions than aliens, thus ensuring further damage.  They should also start with explosive weapons, at least frag grenades.  Or they can work behind the scenes, eliminating personnel, slowing research and manufacturing, and destroying equipment.  This would require expending money for security, possibly building new base facilities such as security checkpoints and internal sensors.  These security facilities might hurt the moral of soldiers, since nobody likes the inconvenience of invasive security measures, and everybody is paranoid about being watched.