project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Symbols for the geoscape  (Read 71855 times)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #45 on: June 07, 2007, 12:55:34 pm »
I've been thinking hard about this, and I have to agree with you both, sitters and Blywulf. The idea I had isn't working, at least not for this icon, and I've been overcomplicating the icon design. Thanks for all the time you spent on it, sitters, and I'm sorry for making the job so difficult. I'll be getting a machine of my own again next week so I can start playing around with models and textures again to save you some frustration.

The glowing crossed Kerrblades are a nice idea, but I think they may be too hard to make out at the scales we're using for the geoscape. If I didn't know they were Kerrblades, I'm not sure I'd be able to make out what they were at all.

Let's simplify the design and get some ideas together. My new proposal is to reduce the image to a single white (not sure whether to keep the glow or just make it a silhouette) Kerrblade on a black background.

Regards,
Winter

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #46 on: June 08, 2007, 10:46:02 am »
Yea, it is just an question of try it out what looks the best.
I have made some silhouettes, if you like it I give you an link for try it out.

Willem

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #47 on: June 08, 2007, 10:56:02 am »
give me the link please, i will test them in-game and post screenshots - it's always hard to say without seeing them in-game

Offline sitters

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #48 on: June 08, 2007, 11:06:51 am »
Quote from: "Mattn"
give me the link please, i will test them in-game and post screenshots - it's always hard to say without seeing them in-game

The link :

http://www.sitters-electronics.nl/md2/models/sim_ab.zip

Willem

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #49 on: June 08, 2007, 12:06:28 pm »

imo they are good - opinions?

Alex

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2007, 12:13:12 pm »
If I may comment, the images look way to benign...  There's no sense of urgency in them.  Some blood dripping off the kerrblade perhaps?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2007, 12:58:30 pm »
They're also far, far too large.

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2007, 01:34:30 pm »
I think adding blood to the symbols will again cause a problem with too much detail. Maybe changing the general colours will do something. How about replacing the pale yellow with a strong red?

inquisiteur2

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2007, 03:43:51 pm »
Mattn I think that the pciture on the map is a little much too big, if you scale it down by 40% it would look much better. (and phallanx would have to investigate a whole country for each tactical mission  :wink:  )

by the way the white alien face is cool

Sectoid

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2007, 09:29:04 pm »
They seem far too large for my taste. Perhaps you could try scaling them down and maybe removing the yellow ring/arrows.

Surrealistik

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2007, 10:20:32 pm »
My own criticisms pretty much echo what has already been said.

The icons in addition to being scaled back dramatically, must be redone to communicate a sense of forboding and menace. Removal of the arrows and ring would be an excellent first step on this account.

Wanderer

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2007, 10:29:28 pm »
[Engage Script Kiddie mode]
Me Too!!!
[/engage]

Sorry, just putting my two cents in.  Way to big, no menace... though I don't know how much menace an icon can really show, that's a matter of perspective.  That stupid yellow pokemon is one of the cutest things in existence and can muster up a level of dread far beyond an alien I get to shoot at.  The dread will come. :)  (Oh... gods... a Terror mission...)

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #57 on: June 09, 2007, 01:25:35 am »
I like both icons, but I think that colour-coordinating them would help in telling the different mission types apart. Giving them all black backgrounds would cause confusion and make the icons run together. The glowing kerrblade with black background is good, but we should give other missions more 'benign' background colours. I'd like to see how the silhouetted alien head looks on the old dark green background.

Perhaps diagonal warning stripes would make a good background for certain other mission types, such as base attacks.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #58 on: June 09, 2007, 07:58:06 am »
but i don't want a too colorful geoscape - that would make it look like a kid painting program and not a serious game - imo

Alex

Symbols for the geoscape
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2007, 08:16:33 am »
So no polkadots and pretty ribon effects?  aw...