project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Design: Equipment  (Read 22046 times)

Offline Malick

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Design: Equipment
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2006, 03:27:00 pm »
What do you think of the idea that surgery may not be 100% reliable and successful ?

Let's say that with the first implant technology you develop (whatever), you get a 60% success rate. It means that 6 times out of 10, your soldiers is actually stronger, but the 4 other times it's a failure, and either nothing happens or soldiers dies during surgery. Ok, it may be a bit too much to kill him, but I like it, call me sadistic  :twisted: . Then, with better technology, the success rate gets a bit closer to 100%, while not reaching it, topped at 95%.

Would it hinder the player ? Or will it give important decisions to make ? Like, will I risk Lieutenant Dimitri Chadrin's life in order to improve his aiming ability, knowing that he has 40% risk of never coming back from surgery ?

Malick

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2006, 03:39:58 pm »
Well... I think I would consider it an annoyance. And people'd save/load until it was successful, I think.

Offline Malick

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2006, 04:04:41 pm »
Hmmmm, ok, you got a point there cause that's what I would do. Didn't even think of how I would play it...

Malick

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 12:41:27 am »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
people'd save/load until it was successful, I think.

You know the hearts of gamers. :D

Centron

« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2006, 10:11:12 pm »
OK, I hate to knock ppl off the implant subject but if we are in 2084 (if I read the story right) why do we still have bullet using guns? If we can make laser tech on our own before we adapt alien tech (as in X-COM) then why don't we do so?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2006, 10:27:46 pm »
I think Laser equipment won't appear until a while after the start of the game. The fact that it's available right away in the current demo doesn't mean much.

Centron

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2006, 10:40:15 pm »
So then will we be using things like flechettes (tiny explosive darts) for the 2084 bullets or will we be using some other type of advanced ammo? I am filling in our weapon wiki's so this info is important.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2006, 10:42:38 pm »
As it is now, every weapon has only one kind of ammo. What ammo that is is not specified, but weapons can deal different kinds of damage. What damage type each weapon does has been documented already. From there, you can just make it up.

Centron

« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2006, 10:49:44 pm »
correct me if im wrong but didnt the cannons in X-COM have different types of ammo? (Regular, High Explosive, and Incendiary)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2006, 10:53:59 pm »
You're completely right. If you feel that should be in UFO:AI, put in an entry on the feature request tracker on sourceforge.

By the way, from what I've seen of your edits of the wiki, you haven't read the existing design docs. Those are still mostly on the SVN. Right now, you can't view them on sourceforge, but I've zipped them up and put them up here. I strongly suggest you take a look, it will help you edit the wiki. If possible, can you add the stuff in that zip that isn't already in the Wiki?

Centron

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2006, 11:01:48 pm »
Sure, and thanks for the zip. I have been frustrated because i couldnt get to the SVN. This will be very useful and also you migh want to look at my other posts in the design forum.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2006, 11:03:32 pm »
I did. But I didn't really didn't have any comments on your suggestions, so I didn't reply to them. They work for me.

Centron

« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2006, 11:11:12 pm »
Also, would you like me to put the weapons and equipment into sections on the wiki? (Human Weapons, Alien Weapons, Equipment) and put sub-sections under that? (heavy, rifle, pistol, melee)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2006, 11:16:33 pm »
In the text file, the weapons are divided into tiers (basic human, human laser, alien plasma, alien tachyon, psionic, armor). But you should just use whatever grouping you feel most comfortable with. Also, note that there are currently some weapons in the game that have no description in the documentation yet, such as the Kerrblade. I can't really tell you what group it belongs to, as it was added at random.

Centron

« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2006, 11:19:44 pm »
ok, ill shoot for organizing it into something close to what you have in the doc. if you have any other wiki jobs, feel free to email me.