project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: 2.5 sucks completely  (Read 219745 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: 2.5 sucks completely
« Reply #180 on: June 09, 2013, 08:31:29 am »
In addition, you can take advantage of this also. You are nearly garanteed to score at least a few hits, which is good for improving the assault skill. And afterwards, you can simply wait for the alien to bleed out. Also, hitting them this way will sometimes make them go mad.

Offline homunculus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: June 22, 2013, 11:54:52 am »
Similar to this post in another thread (just a random post that I remember having seen recently, I don't know the general opinion):
Usually, my problem with larger map is not civilians as much as having to play hide and seek for half an hour if not longer[...]
The one greatest turn-off for me has been the size of maps.

I remember once upon a time there were people in the forum (not me, BTW) who wanted large maps where you would have to travel miles before you meet the aliens, but when people saw them the posts about tedious missions appeared (I don't mean the period when there were too many missions, I mean before that time).

I wouldn't mind a large map now and then, even if just to remind the players of what large maps are like, but I would suggest to try to increase the ratio of smaller and more compact maps in future map-making.

Also, sometimes I feel that the soldier models might be too small for the environment and could be drawn larger in the square they stand on, and that might increase the maps being perceived as large, but that's another topic entirely.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2013, 03:13:00 am »
Adding to this thread, but it's about reaction fire.  This may be a bit of a wounded pride rant.

It sucks.  It is way overpowered for the enemy.

Sorry for the QQ.  That's how I feel about it after encountering them and watching them decimate my team.  For the first few battles, it was about even and reasonable.  Then all of a sudden they just became near invincible, reacting before my troops can do anything.  At this rate, nobody will last long enough to build up stats to be a match for them.  I'm playing on hard mode, and I don't mind a challenge, but this is sort of beyond reasonable for this early in the game.  I'm only in the second month and they're pulling out blasters and one shotting everyone with them before I can barely get a shot off.

That may be what you want, but it's not really the experience I want (though I might get used to it).  I want to be challenged, but when I can't lay out a decent strategy since every move I make causes them to just react and blow me away, the only thing left is to cower in the drop ship and hope they can't fire through it (bug reported).

"version" is "UFO: Alien Invasion 2.5-dev AMD64 Jul 13 2013 Linux DEBUG"

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 17, 2013, 01:47:11 am »
Kk, QQ is over.  Played with it more, and figuring out tactics to counter the quick reactions of the enemy.  Casualties are up from previous versions.  Hightend sense of dread against the enemies, something that was somewhat missing in the previous versions of UFOAI, and something the original UFO Defense had in plenty.

Bottom line, reaction fire sucks, but it can be beaten, and the game seems to be better for it.  Good job.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 17, 2013, 10:51:38 am »
Bottom line, reaction fire sucks, but it can be beaten, and the game seems to be better for it.  Good job.
Thanks for posting the followup!