project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: dealing w/ the weight limits in new version  (Read 3679 times)

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
dealing w/ the weight limits in new version
« on: November 30, 2012, 03:50:22 am »
I just downloaded the new 2.5 dev version (date says 11/29) that has the weight limits in it & found several of my soldiers are now overloaded due to strength issues. Since it now seems as though strength will be a priority skill over weapon skills in who to hire a couple of questions -

1) In starting a new game, is the starting strength of new soldiers in the pool going to be greater? I was in apr 2085 in version from 2.5 dev dated 11/5 & I looked at many of the potential soldier hires in the pool & many were in the 16 +/- so would basically have to be unarmored to be used if I were to continue to use this savegame.

2) What actions in game missions help increase strength/speed? Is it maybe time to implement some kind of training for soldiers who're hired while they're idle at bases?

Offline Anarch Cassius

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: dealing w/ the weight limits in new version
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 08:41:37 am »
Personally I think the new system has some issues. It favors Strength too much over Speed. I'd like to see the penalties more like this
Code: [Select]
#define WEIGHT_LIGHT 0.2
#define WEIGHT_MEDIUM 0.5
#define WEIGHT_HEAVY 0.8
#define WEIGHT_NORMAL_PENALTY 0.25
#define WEIGHT_MEDIUM_PENALTY 0.5
#define WEIGHT_HEAVY_PENALTY 0.75

and maybe reduce the min TU a bit and boost the gain from Speed stat.

That said the new system is pretty good. For one thing your soldiers are like 10 points below new average. I changed my config to not compress the save and editted it manually.

As far as tactics, the light armor is more valuable now mainly. Also not everyone needs a ton of Strength, mainly Explosives and other heavy weapon users. So I tend to look for good strength in combination with explosives and start them with a grenade launcher til they can handle the rocket.

You can also borrow a tactic from the real world and have a strong soldier carry extra ammo for the users of heavier weapons.

Offline CriticalFumble

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 08:48:35 am »
In new games the generated soldiers have enough strength for a modest loadout.  I have no idea what in particular improves strength, but on my soldiers it seems to be related to missions and rank as much or more than anything. 

And training could be useful, but it could also break the "redshirt" effect on your green hires.  I don't think its really necessary, most of your soldiers should be able to carry everything they need.  Emphasis on "need" there; my green soldiers have just enough rope to fill the role I need them to.  The ones using heavier weapons simply cannot carry a medkit, and grenades in the field are at a premium.  If they're carrying a machine gun I cannot give them more ammo, and snipers are sometimes stuck without a pistol (which causes me to actually use MM knives). 

Really all it means for your more experienced soldiers is that they're not Gordon Freeman carrying around a dozen weapons and enough bullets to end the alien menace themselves. 

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2012, 11:18:43 am »
As the others mentioned, when you transition to the new weight system using an old save your soldiers have unusually low strength values. Sorry, there is no easy fix for this.

Offline jcjordan

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 12:24:09 am »
Thanks for the link HHr, I guess I'll start a new game.

My std load for a soldier is 1 main weapon, 4 grenades (2 smoke & either 1 frag & 1 gas or 2 frags), armor,  IR goggles, med kit, 2-3 extra ammo clips unless armed w/ coilgun/machine gun then 1 extra clip w/ pistol. If main weap is grenade launcher or rocket then pistol is backup w/ no extra clips for it. I wouldn't think this would be an overload case for any soldier. I'll see how this does under a new game start.