project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: need advice  (Read 14142 times)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
need advice
« on: November 30, 2011, 11:44:02 am »
Here are some problems I met while testing my map. Maybe these are already pointed out or even solved somewhere. Maybe its too simple to be worth mentioning or maybe its the wrong place to ask. If so, please feel free to flame.

1. Some of my func_door are mirrored at 0,0,0 looking like this ingame.

2. If I set the reverse-flag to a door this works fine, but ingame my soldiers will not walk through these doors. Reseting the flag maybe causes problem 1.?

3. For my soldiers it is possible to open doors located on the other side of a wall?

4. The undergrund/cellar of the building should be dark. I havent set any lights yet. But it looks more like Miami Beach at noon.

Reason for editing : attached map
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 01:15:49 pm by ShipIt »

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: need advice
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 12:22:41 pm »
1. Some of my func_door are mirrored at 0,0,0 looking like this ingame.

My first guess is that you copied and pasted the doors. I believe this might cause problems in the game. You may need to either try Edit > Duplicate instead, or rebuild each door from scratch. Another guess is that you're missing an origin brush or something like that...

4. The undergrund/cellar of the building should be dark. I havent set any lights yet. But it looks more like Miami Beach at noon.

If you post your map I'll compile and see if I can replicate.

Sorry, can't help with the other questions.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 01:26:49 pm »
I put the map into my first post. Would be nice if you could check my sun-problem.

Following the advice in the forum I try to not duplicate any func_ or parts of it. So it should be build up from scratch always.

Maybe this is a problem with my ufo2map? When I switched to 2.4dev, iirc, the ufo2map there didnt work at all. So I still use the one from 2.3.1, wich starts as -ufo2map 1.2.5-.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:57:16 am »
I compiled and got the same lighting results. I tried tweaking some of the levelflag settings to see if it helped, but on recompilation the bottom is still lit up. I'm not sure why this is happening. Hopefully mattn or someone has some ideas...

Also, I noticed you have a lot of windows as func_breakables. This is, of course, very cool. Unfortunately, for now func_breakables cause considerable lag in our pathfinding. This is why your map takes so long to load. And if you try to shoot them out, you'll probably notice a signicant pause as the pathfinding is recalculated.

Maps can take a few func_breakables, but not so many as you have. I would recommend using windows that don't break for now. If we ever get the pathfinding/func_breakables issue worked out, we can always turn them into func_breakables later.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:24 pm »
Couldn't load textures/tex_mansion/wall064_a

Still missing that one. If the file has a compatible license, can you tell me the license, attach the file, and I'll add it to the repo here:

textures/tex_buildings/wall064_a

That means you'll need to change the texture location in your map file. (Tools > Find/Replace Texture)

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 04:06:09 pm »
I compiled and got the same lighting results. I tried tweaking some of the levelflag settings to see if it helped, but on recompilation the bottom is still lit up. I'm not sure why this is happening. Hopefully mattn or someone has some ideas...

Thank you for putting your time into this. There is always hope, so ...
Had you a similar problem with the doors as me after compiling it?

Also, I noticed you have a lot of windows as func_breakables. This is, of course, very cool. Unfortunately, for now func_breakables cause considerable lag in our pathfinding. This is why your map takes so long to load. And if you try to shoot them out, you'll probably notice a signicant pause as the pathfinding is recalculated.

Maps can take a few func_breakables, but not so many as you have. I would recommend using windows that don't break for now. If we ever get the pathfinding/func_breakables issue worked out, we can always turn them into func_breakables later.

Will fix this before my next update. (The time the map took loading I´ve always used to do my job, so it was not completely wastet. ;D)

Couldn't load textures/tex_mansion/wall064_a

Still missing that one. If the file has a compatible license, can you tell me the license, attach the file, and I'll add it to the repo here:

textures/tex_buildings/wall064_a

That means you'll need to change the texture location in your map file. (Tools > Find/Replace Texture)

I made this by simply cutting a piece off of base/textures/tex_mattn/wall64 and didnt replace it yet. Sorry, but its still wip. If it can be used, good. Maybe the naming isnt very smart because of _?

Thank you.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 07:20:11 pm »
Had you a similar problem with the doors as me after compiling it?
yes
I made this by simply cutting a piece off of base/textures/tex_mattn/wall64 and didnt replace it yet. Sorry, but its still wip. If it can be used, good. Maybe the naming isnt very smart because of _?

All of our textures must be scaled at divisions of 2 (16/32/64/128/256/512/1024). Try the attached. Shoudl work identically to yours except it will line up on grid better. Place it at the following location:

base/textures/tex_mattn/wall064st.png

I have just committed it to that location so n futuyre versions of the game it will work fine.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:24:44 pm »
I really hope I can give something back soon.

Thank you.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2012, 10:29:13 am »
Just want to bump this, because i still have the same problems.

And, while testing and improving, looking at this

or this

really wants to make me cry.

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2012, 04:37:54 pm »
Another guess is that you're missing an origin brush or something like that...

Indeed. Careful inspection shows that entities 163 and 164 do not have the origin brush.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
Re: need advice - weird lighting
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 08:02:49 am »
First picture you see the top level (eight - not seven!) of the main building :

Second picture you see the shadows from picture above, drawn on level two (not one!) Same goes for level one (not zero), but no pic of this.

Putting a lightclip-brush on level 2 does not anything about this.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 06:47:34 pm »
Idea for testing. First, back up your map (or use GIT to revert if you're comfortable doing that).

1. Try removing the big glass poly that covers all of those, then recompile and see if the problem is there.

2. Try removing all level 8 brushes, then recompile...

3. Try removing all func_groups, then recompile...

Basically, try stripping out things to see what might be causing it. I've never seen so many func_groups in a map, so that could be something to remove. The fact that the level 8 brushes are casting shadows is wierd, so try removing them.

If you manage to get the shadows casting properly, then you can start narrowing down from there...

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2012, 07:34:30 pm »
Thanks, H-Hour. I will check this out asap, but I have a similar problem with the Heli hangar (mansion_craft_ufo_empty.map), wich has only 3 levels.

Also it seems like the lights I have put in at levels 1 and 2 of these maps do not work at all. Weird.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2012, 09:14:57 pm »
I think it is all about the func_doors/origin brushes. Look at mansion_coast_east_u.map.

From above it looks good. No problems.

Second level, all right :

Level 1 you see the "weird lighting problem". There is a door ( too dark to see maybe, but still there).

I removed the door, problem solved.