project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Base invasion  (Read 29173 times)

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Base invasion
« on: December 16, 2010, 01:26:42 pm »
Base invasion. It is one hell of a problem. When the aliens invade your base, first thing you notice is that the base is HUGE! A LOT of ground to cower for 8 soldiers. Any tips or strategies how to defend your base??? Share them here! How to succesfully design a base, where to put enterances, which bulidings have access to the surface allowing aliens to walk in... .etc.

I myself hawe been putting living guaterses near important rooms since your soldiers start from theese living guarterses...

Offline Kaslak_CG

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Base invasion
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 03:00:10 pm »
my 2 cents...

In my perspective the problem is not the base extension - which is the only map with perfect extension for my gamestyle (and X-Com nostalgy) but the 8vs8 limit. Which will be changed perhaps to 16+UGV (if I understood correctly, forgive me if not). More soliders = more cover

Another possible approach is to make as the other maps - the map is assembled only with the first near squares to the main entrance. Eyesight in 1-turn and shoot,shoot,shoot.

Another approach: for each base building description write down if it has or not a roof access. Novice players will be able to organize better defences without have to experiment on the field.

As regarding to the base defence mission I found myself in another kind of problem - half the squad wasn't equipped, but the armors were all usd up for the 8-team in the aircraft. So I had 4 half-equipped (and 2 half wonded) defenders. Did I miss something or it is not possible (for now) to choose the defenders?

Offline Adzik_Master

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 05:50:21 pm »
As regarding to the base defence mission I found myself in another kind of problem - half the squad wasn't equipped, but the armors were all usd up for the 8-team in the aircraft. So I had 4 half-equipped (and 2 half wonded) defenders. Did I miss something or it is not possible (for now) to choose the defenders?

In that point (If it didn't changed) to defend Your base are token first 8 people in the base. Maybe this is the problem?

After all, it isn't silly that when radar engage some UFO's flighting on course to PHALANX base, there aren't any preparations to defend the base?

Cheers, Adzik

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 06:55:00 pm »
Luckyly there is a way to stop about 80% of the base invasion aptempts! The base defence laser turret almost all the time manages to shoot the attacking UFO down juust before it reaches the base! Since the attacking UFOs are almost always fighters, they can`t take the laser mauling too much!

Offline Kaslak_CG

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2010, 07:04:06 pm »
In that point (If it didn't changed) to defend Your base are token first 8 people in the base. Maybe this is the problem?

After all, it isn't silly that when radar engage some UFO's flighting on course to PHALANX base, there aren't any preparations to defend the base?

Cheers, Adzik

Well... complete randomness and complete possibility of choiche are both unrealistic. I suppose that soliders can't stay wake 24/24 hrs, but in a real situation drill turns would be organized rationally, giving equipment to the patrolling soliders if the ones assigned to the vehicle are sleeping. And should exclude wounded soliders provided there are enough not wounded... hhhm... a sleep-wake system for agents would be the cherry on the top of the cake :O

Anyway it's true, the radar could give some time for preparations (wake up, wash teeth, load the flamethrower, put on the armor). Perhaps the ufo will only fly nearby and go away... ok unload flamethrower, take off the armor, go back to bed.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2010, 07:08:04 pm by Kaslak_CG »

Offline Adzik_Master

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:56:32 pm »
Don't forget that we live in 2084 year ;-)

I realize, that everything is spinning over financial priorities, BUT we should choose (if there are more than 8 soliders in base) those, who gonna defend the base e.g. in drop ship every assigned solider MUST go on a mission independently of his/her health. I think, we can use randomize mechanism to give some randomness within defending base. The heart of it should check the chance of each solider in mission. If he's wounded, the chance is lower, if he's asleep - lower, if he's woken up - the chance is higher.

This idea is related with individualized equipment of each solider. (@greever mentioned somewhere about it, or something mismatch in my head). Everyone know, what to take and smash or make a cheese from aliens.

P.S. Sorry for my English, I'm from Poland and still learning.

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2010, 12:35:21 am »
Well most likely in case of a base invasion soldiers aren`t allowed to sleep! I think that the ridicilous size of the base on many floors could be compensated if you would be allowed to use each and every one of the soldiers in base! For example if you hawe 8 active soldiers and 8 replacements (in case of injuries/deaths) you could throw 16 soldiers to kick the alien arse! This would make it a good idea to hawe a moderately large (20 - 30) "inactive" soldiers on base in case of some poor little aliens trying to get in! I mean nothing is more annoying than the thought of aliens running loose on your base! That is the one place you should and must have the upper hand on materiel, manpower and morale!

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2010, 02:13:35 am »
Well most likely in case of a base invasion soldiers aren`t allowed to sleep! I think that the ridicilous size of the base on many floors could be compensated if you would be allowed to use each and every one of the soldiers in base! For example if you hawe 8 active soldiers and 8 replacements (in case of injuries/deaths) you could throw 16 soldiers to kick the alien arse! This would make it a good idea to hawe a moderately large (20 - 30) "inactive" soldiers on base in case of some poor little aliens trying to get in! I mean nothing is more annoying than the thought of aliens running loose on your base! That is the one place you should and must have the upper hand on materiel, manpower and morale!

WTF! 20-30 soldiers for base defending??

1. It would be boring to control them, noone would do it.
2. It would make PHALANX overpowered

-geever

Offline Tamanfodder

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2010, 02:52:14 am »
Ignore my last...   ...and possibly this post! Im a bit too sleepy to write anything with any point! But the base is still too big to defend with 8 soldiers...

Ildamos

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2010, 04:33:29 am »
I do Auto Missions. I reload if there is a casualty. The problem here is if your last save is so far back.

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2010, 09:17:40 pm »
XCOM Apocalypse had a very different flavor in this. You could install automated in base cannons, and so, the defenders would be at an advantage. They really did it good that time since the aliens would target the non unit cannons in an attempt to damage them. Also, late game base raids, if possible, would be humongous in the game, with hundreds of rocket and disruptor armed aliens swarming, making base automated cannons a must.

In 2080's, it shouldn't be hard to add a few automated miniguns in base doors.

Offline jerzy_cz

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2010, 09:23:58 am »
Even without automatic defenses it would be nice to have at least some detection, like IR-sensors, so soldiers wouldn't have to peek at every corner.

Offline LuckyLindy

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2010, 07:49:55 pm »
My two cents would be to allow control of 8-10 soldiers with the remaining cadre being computer controlled.  Plus, you may have a stray worker, pilot, or scientist get caught in the firefight such as the civilians during the alien missions.  You lose a worker, pilot or scientist, you would have a "job opening" and suffer the loss of that individual.  Computer controlled soldiers fire and defend similar to the aliens, hopefully they want shoot your own sqaudies.  Anyway, my two cents worth.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2010, 11:49:25 pm »
My two cents would be to allow control of 8-10 soldiers with the remaining cadre being computer controlled.  Plus, you may have a stray worker, pilot, or scientist get caught in the firefight such as the civilians during the alien missions.  You lose a worker, pilot or scientist, you would have a "job opening" and suffer the loss of that individual.  Computer controlled soldiers fire and defend similar to the aliens, hopefully they want shoot your own sqaudies.  Anyway, my two cents worth.

workers, pilots, scientists are evacuated in time. They shouldn't fight. We will allow playing wit h more than eight soldiers but there are still some limits we needs to cross for it. I think AI will only control aliens and civs for quite a while (years)...

-geever

Offline XCOMTurcocalypse

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2010, 04:16:32 am »
Even without automatic defenses it would be nice to have at least some detection, like IR-sensors, so soldiers wouldn't have to peek at every corner.

Yes. Why no cameras? I'm also upset at seeing surface posts. The entire base should be underground, tightly sealed with one entrance ridden with chainguns.