project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: new +forest map and tiles  (Read 15888 times)

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
Re: new +forest map and tiles
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 06:18:57 am »
create brush. Next use clipper tool to cut its corners and sides.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 12:25:56 pm »
Truth to be told, I haven't really figured out how to do a 21 sided object in uforadiant.

Hehe, good luck! Uforadiant is a pain for such things.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2011, 08:55:32 pm »
if did a few changes
enlarging some tiles and adding some bushes, and fixing that hole by the scout

http://www.mediafire.com/?dc8g8xxbdlb91v6

Please backup your files (forest folder, forest.ump, forest.mat) beforehand and make sure you put the new files in the correct folders.

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2011, 09:42:25 pm »
BTW dont u have access to Git?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2011, 07:58:36 am »
Btw, tilli, could we commit your work to the repo? I`d like to see it in game, if you don`t have any objections.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2011, 12:08:35 pm »
@ kildor: if you want, you can put it in the repo.  I won't have git for the next foreseeable future.
Just remember that the thing is still work in progress (I'm still reworking some tiles) and that there is the bug with the random equipment assignment.
And if you put somewhere a note that I'm responsible for that mess of +forest tiles, that would be nice.

For the official part: all the maps I created for UFO AI are hereby released under GNU GPL 2 or later.
That ok?

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2011, 01:31:29 pm »
Just remember that the thing is still work in progress (I'm still reworking some tiles) and that there is the bug with the random equipment assignment.

If you're still working on it, I think it is best not to add it to Git yet. It would be really great if you could get on Git at some point, because until then it's very hard to coordinate work. If we add your work to Git now, that will become the definitive copy, and you would need to make sure that you always updated the maps before doing any work on them. Otherwise, changes we make will just be overwritten later.

If you haven't already, please report the random equipment assignment bug on our sourceforge but tracker. This is likely a bug in the code, not your map files.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2011, 11:36:52 am »
Alright, I've finally gotten around to looking at this thing. It's a huge improvement over the old forest map. The hills add a lot of tactical variety to the map and the maps are actually substantially different from a gameplay point of view with each new RMA build. That's really great.

There are several comments in the attached images. I know a lot of these are on tiles that aren't yours, but it would be great if you would go ahead and take responsibility for the whole set and make necessary adjustments across all tiles.

There are also a few things that are going to be very tedious, especially the problem with bushes/foliage that are not currently casting shadows. If you've got the patience, I think you'll find adding lightclip will dramatically improve the overall feel of the map and it will help create the feeling that the foliage models are "rooted" in their environment.

In the meantime, I'm going to work on some of the textures. Some of the trees/foliage are very dark or otherwise don't look great, and I'll try and work out something better for them. This should just slot right in without any work on your end. With your permission, I'd also like to tone down the saturation on the floor texture. Currently I think it's just far too bright yellow/green, and I'd like to make it more earthy. Is that alright? Again, I'd slot it right in so it wouldn't take any more work on your end.

And Kildor is right, it would be great to get this into GIT soon. Then I and others can look at it and make adjustments easily. I could even help out with some of the tedious work. But if you don't have GIT, it means you would have to check before you do any work on the maps and download any new versions. You can do that through a web-based interface. Would that be alright? I'll wait a bit for any latest changes based on the attached images. But then I'll take whatever you send me and put it up.

And again, nice work so far. I know a lot of it is a bit of a grind but it's a great improvement to the RMA.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2011, 11:37:26 am »
more pictures

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2011, 05:33:15 pm »
thanks H-Hour

just for the moment, the little boxes you mentioned are binary code tile markers, to help identify the tile. Most of the tiles (except the river tiles) have them in the upper right hand corner. So if you could just tell me the marker (white 1, black 0) I can easily identify the problematic tile.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2011, 08:06:02 pm »
just an information

I consider my part for +forest done
there are for sure some minor points still to do and of course if somebody points them out to me, I will try to fix them

I will leave the tile markers in for the moment (makes troubleshooting easier), but will remove them before we go for release of 2.4

hopefully it was an improvement

tilli

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 22, 2011, 01:09:15 pm »
tilli, I've got removing the tile markers from +forest on the 2.4 todo list whenever you're ready.

Offline tilli

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 20, 2011, 07:44:04 pm »
markers are removed
I also added another river crossing
unless some serious issues come up, I consider +forest done for the time being

Tilli

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 20, 2011, 10:57:36 pm »
Thanks tilli!

Offline Sandro

• Squad Leader
  • Maintenance guy for UFO:AI 3D engine
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2011, 12:26:39 am »
tilli, thanks a lot for finishing a new map theme! But -- why didn't you use a transparent, flowing water material? Current one you are using looks more like plastic than water :(

PS: See the dam map for example of transparent water.