project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: too many interceptors shot down  (Read 5039 times)

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
too many interceptors shot down
« on: July 08, 2010, 03:42:41 am »
Another noobie question:

I'm stuck in June with plenty of money, happy countries, but no sparrowhawk launchers left to buy.  I can try to make some, but with a UFO flying by about every 3-4 hours, I'm losing them faster than I can build them.  I'm sending up two stilettos at a time with sparrowhawks.  I'm researching aerial lasers but I haven't found anything better than sparrowhawks.

I've read that you shouldn't try to take on harvesters (maybe that's my problem), but I can't figure out how to tell one UFO from another.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: too many interceptors shot down
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2010, 03:25:28 pm »
I've read that you shouldn't try to take on harvesters (maybe that's my problem), but I can't figure out how to tell one UFO from another.

Speed. Scouts move at 770 km/h, Fighters at 880, Harvesters at 1100. They also have different icon on geoscape.

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2010, 07:27:45 pm »
Speed. Scouts move at 770 km/h, Fighters at 880, Harvesters at 1100. They also have different icon on geoscape.

Ah, ok, thanks.  I did notice I lost to more 1100's than slower ones but I just thought it was because they could catch me easier.  I didn't realize that the speed indicated different types.

I've just started letting them go and doing more terror missions until I get more launchers -- it's seeming to keep the countries placated for now and hopefully I'll get aerial lasers soon.

Offline ORCUS

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2010, 09:19:41 pm »
After some misssions and eventually after capturing live aliens, you'll get the opportunity to research your own Prototype Vessels
with laser guns and stuff.... so be patient... or get like 70 scientists for having it faster...

also get Sam Sites and a couple of UFO hangars. so that you get some ufo fuel and tech too

i remember once i did a Triangulation of 6 Sam Sites, and everytime they all went down !
then i had only to go and collect the prize, or do some manual missions without having my men getting wacked.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 09:21:13 pm by ORCUS »

Offline dfscott

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2010, 10:15:50 pm »
Cool - I'm currently researching my first alien capture and my first harvested is on its way to my recently completed Ufo yard, so things should be looking up soon.