project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What's your favorite weapon?  (Read 69976 times)

Offline mf_nor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: What's your favorite weapon?
« Reply #90 on: May 10, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »
Played it through for the second time (2.4 this time).

my favorite is the Sniper. When doing those small open maps the best weapon of choice is the sniper because of the range and firepower. I mix in two grenade launchers, but I think 8 snipers is the best for killing without being killed.

(i would like a small modification since this Sniper gun is so good. regular soldiers should be poorer with this until reaching say 25+ skill. Then you have incentive to play the sniper like a sniper, and not rush people with sniperguns into UFOs. Maybe the gun could be more expensive as well?)

Just my thoughts.:)

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2012, 04:26:46 pm »
(i would like a small modification since this Sniper gun is so good. regular soldiers should be poorer with this until reaching say 25+ skill. Then you have incentive to play the sniper like a sniper, and not rush people with sniperguns into UFOs. Maybe the gun could be more expensive as well?)
It's been changed a decent amount. Both firemodes cost more TUs in 2.5, snap shot is much less accurate and doesn't benefit from crouch, and aimed shot is a little more accurate while standing but a little less while crouched. On the flip side, damage has been kicked up so you're no longer nearly guaranteed to need to hit the target twice.

~J

Offline Majki-Fajki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2012, 01:09:34 am »
1. Laser Rifles. I have 3 of them in my squad now - they can massacre from distance. One laser works not so good, but 3+ is a killer team. More lasers, more aliens won't even move close, they will be dead far before their plasma toys will be effective.
2. Flamers. Masters of close combat. Killing 3 aliens with one shot? Priceless. 12 TU and armored guy is mostly dead.
3. GL. If you are sneaky and creative, 3x shot can do miracles. Not to mention what GL does to multiply targets.
4. Bolter. 3x shot = dead body. Simple as that.

MG is not needed atm. Until we get 2x2 aliens, huge, bulky, armored ones using MG is like using nuke to kill a fly.
RL - meh.
Secondary, smaller weapons - I'm not using them.

And last but not least - wallhack - those thermo-vision-stuff is priceless.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 01:24:05 am by Majki-Fajki »

Offline geisthund

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2012, 01:17:49 am »
what's a bolter? do you mean the coilgun?

Offline Majki-Fajki

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2012, 01:20:27 am »

Offline headdie

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2012, 01:25:40 am »
MG kind of sits between your assault weapons and the flamer with effective ranges in the Assault range and close range devastation like the flamer, while perhaps not as good as either in the respective role I have on a couple of occasions gone from picking off targets at mid range with the MG then on the following couple of turns found myself close range to a couple of aliens using the most appropriate full auto option (once they were in line so normal full auto, the other time a couple of squares either side of my soldier so auto sweep dispatched them nicely) to take them out in the same firing.

As I say other weapons are more effective in their specific field but the generalist nature of the MG makes it a more flexible platform.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2012, 02:38:40 am »
Depends on soldier, with one of those elites, if trained well, MG is one of most powerful weapons, capable of taking down Ortnok in medium armor in one turn over ranges longer than flamer, and even over long ranges it will chip off a decent chunk of health. And if you catch grouped Tamans over longer range...may whatever god they worship help them.

When it comes to most effective weapons in each range category, it goes like this...(Plasma blade)(flamer)(GL)(MG)(coilgun)

Offline Salvo

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2012, 09:53:38 pm »
Machine gun.

BUT. Plasma grenades get a special mention. There's just something oddly satisfying in tossing a plasma grenade at an alien's feet and be like "Burn, you piece of s*it alien". Plasma is like napalm on steroids. Or when you see two or more aliens close to each other, and you have your grenade launcher w/ plasma grenades in range. At times like those, just for a fleeting second, I sometimes wonder why did they even bother putting the single fire mode on the grenade launcher anyway...

I get similar delight for using plasma rifle on full auto at a close range. I consider plasma rifles merely to be superior shotguns.

Offline kamor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 12, 2012, 01:44:39 am »
Sniper rifle.

Cheap, powerful, accurate.
You get it right away since mission one, and you get plenty of mags for sale.
Two hits are enough to kill an alien NME.
And the risk of collateral damage to civvies is rather low (accidents do happens, though).

Nice to hear it will require more TUs to operate in 2.5 - this will help balance it with other weapons.

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 12, 2012, 12:14:58 pm »
Only downside is that you're perfectly capable of missing your intended target and still hitting the civilian behind it.

Offline Jon_dArc

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2012, 02:45:06 pm »
Sure, but civilians are so incredibly squishy that almost any weapon will kill them in one hit, so that's not really a downside for the sniper rifle so much as it is for any non-melee weapon.

~J

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2012, 03:10:23 pm »
Bolter Rifle. Until you've run across an enemy with a soldier out of TU and then killed it with a guy on the other side of a building through two walls, you just won't understand ;)

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2012, 08:33:37 pm »
It's great and all but it's getting turned into a full on sniper in 2.5.
I'll miss sending three bolts into a harvester chalk full of Ortnoks.

Offline Neonin

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2012, 08:36:05 pm »
It's great and all but it's getting turned into a full on sniper in 2.5.
I'll miss sending three bolts into a harvester chalk full of Ortnoks.

Haha really? I never used it when I was playing 2.4, and in 2.5 I changed it in my mod to have a three shot fire mode... Didn't realise I was actually changing it back! :P

Offline Nutter

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2012, 01:33:24 am »
3 and 4 still have a three round burst and it pretty much functions as an assault rifle there.
Though, I found some fluff claiming it has a four round burst but I never saw that one happening.