project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Redo of Soldier Body model  (Read 60758 times)

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
Re: Redo of Soldier Body model
« Reply #90 on: October 01, 2009, 02:59:24 pm »
Thanks for that fix, Destructavator. The model now looks much better. But there is a few more things to do...
1 - how about a buckle?
2 - UV map is fine, but can you please make the hands in one part (like the previous version), not in two.
3 - can you upload some more skins with different camouflage...

I can do this changes by myself, but it only make chaos then I make one thing while you make some other thing.

1 - Yes, once again I forgot about this, thanks for reminding me!

2 - Sure, no problem.

3 - Yes, I have upwards of 30 to 40 or so different camo patterns actually.  How many can you handle?  I could also re-arrange the UV map so that all the camo parts are together in one area, and that one area could be re-placed swapping camo in and out, so that you only have to work on just one texture and not have to do the same work over and over again many times.

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 01, 2009, 03:33:14 pm »
Yes, I have upwards of 30 to 40 or so different camo patterns actually.  How many can you handle?  I could also re-arrange the UV map so that all the camo parts are together in one area, and that one area could be re-placed swapping camo in and out, so that you only have to work on just one texture and not have to do the same work over and over again many times.
OK, let's skip that part for now =) First I need to make at least one. Drawing is about layers - I don't need to do the same work, I need only to change backgrounds once it's done.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #92 on: October 01, 2009, 04:34:58 pm »
which reminds me - please always deliver the source images (gimp or photoshop or whatever) with all the layers included, too

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 01, 2009, 06:32:10 pm »
All right, here is the new Blender file, with an updated model and new UV map:

http://www.destructavator.com/92dl/soldier_6_11.7z

Included are TGA files of the map and a sample texture.  I grouped all the camo parts into one section of the UV map, to make it easier to swap in and out different camo patterns without affecting any nice details you paint on the other parts.

I added the belt buckle and also found I had to re-do the hands, the hands in the old model were actually quite messy.

Attached to this post are preview JPGs so everyone else can see how the UV texture is mapped, but please use the TGAs for working as the Jpegs are lossy.

Also, when you export the model from the Blender file, just use the default scene that comes up, with the grey camo.  The other scenes are other stuff I'm working on.

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 02, 2009, 08:10:55 am »
I have one more question (must be for Mattn) about texture size - leave 2048x2048 or make 1024x1024? IMO 2048 it too much...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #95 on: October 02, 2009, 02:54:03 pm »
you can submit them in 2048x2048 if you have it in that size

we would store that in data_source - for the game we would use 1024x1024 or 512x512 (depends on the size of the mesh, too)

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 03, 2009, 03:35:35 pm »
Well I think it will be something like this...

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 03, 2009, 04:17:23 pm »
 8)   Nice!

It looks great so far - to me at least,  I can barely wait until you finish it!  (But please don't rush it.)

BTW, Just an idea - Would you be able to put in "D" rings in-between the pouches on the straps, for attaching more gear?

Of course, I tend to be an easy grader - Winter may also have more suggestions.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 04:20:46 pm by Destructavator »

Offline Winter

• Captain
    • View Profile
    • Street of Eyes: The Writing of Ryan A. Span
« Reply #98 on: October 03, 2009, 09:41:11 pm »
Actually, I like it. The zip looks a little bit grainy, but that's the only complaint I can come up with it. Well done, Migel.

Regards,
Winter

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 04, 2009, 12:12:49 pm »
Thanks! I just afraid that skin will be less detailed after compression, so I made all parts bit bigger than they should be. Now it's 2048, and probably will be 1024.

Offline Migel

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: October 05, 2009, 07:05:06 pm »
Um, Destructavator, can you please change UV a little. It's about back pouches - there is only a few pixels for them now, so move them separately from the belt to the center of skin and make them bigger. I'm not updating new md2, or it will spoil your animation work (you know - set it to the bones again). Once you do it, please upload new md2 - I don't need source, it's only to test the skin. And I will be sweet if you leave all other parts in their places - skin is half-ready.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 07:18:45 pm by Migel »

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2009, 11:58:16 pm »
 :-[

Migel, I owe you an apology.  A big apology...

I'll get back to that in a moment.

I re-opened the UV Map for the un-armored soldier and found that either Blender doesn't have the capability of adding a new seam and splitting a mapped section, or if it does have such a function I can't find it or figure out how to do it, not without re-unwrapping the whole thing and having to manually place all the texture areas by hand all over again.  (I wouldn't want you to have to start over.)

I was, however, able to expand the ends of the belt section so that the pouches in the back were much larger and easier to work with, I'm currently uploading a new zipped package with the changes.

The embarrassing part is that while looking through all the tools, I found some features in Blender to easily map out areas in nice and neat sections, with straight edges instead of crazy distorted angles everywhere.  If I had found this feature earlier it would have made it a hell of a lot easier for you to paint over all the areas and make your job much easier.  I used this feature on the ends of the belt where the pouches are, you can clearly see the difference in the attached screen shot, nice and neat squares, all even and everything.

So, I'm sorry I didn't do this before, making the whole UV map nice and neat like this, it would have meant a lot less work for you.

I'm going to re-do the other model's UV map, the armored one, with these tools, so that by the time you get to the other model with the armor it should be very quick and easy.

Again, I'm sorry I didn't do this before.

Edit:  Here's the modified un-armored one, changed like how you wanted: 
http://www.destructavator.com/92dl/s6_20.zip
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 11:59:47 pm by Destructavator »

Offline vidarn

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: October 06, 2009, 09:02:13 am »
I re-opened the UV Map for the un-armored soldier and found that either Blender doesn't have the capability of adding a new seam and splitting a mapped section, or if it does have such a function I can't find it or figure out how to do it, not without re-unwrapping the whole thing and having to manually place all the texture areas by hand all over again.  (I wouldn't want you to have to start over.)

Hi!
This is actually possible, by selecting the faces you want to deattach and hitting alt+L.
If you don't mind me asking, that feature to automaticaly lay the parts out with neat borders seems great, I have been looking for something like that as well, could you explain how you did it?

Offline Destructavator

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: October 06, 2009, 10:15:36 am »
Hi!
This is actually possible, by selecting the faces you want to deattach and hitting alt+L.

Ah!  Thanks for the tip!  That's one of the things about Blender that I find very impressive - the fact that there's always something new to learn or figure out.

If you don't mind me asking, that feature to automaticaly lay the parts out with neat borders seems great, I have been looking for something like that as well, could you explain how you did it?

Actually after a little digging it seems that such a feature is from a third-party python script I downloaded some time ago.  I'm afraid I don't recall where I got it from, except it came as part of a bundle.  In addition there's also the "snap to pixels" option which also helps.

If I ever remember where I got that script from, I'll let you know - it came with a lot of other great plug-ins as well.

Offline vidarn

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: October 06, 2009, 04:58:02 pm »
That's one of the things about Blender that I find very impressive - the fact that there's always something new to learn or figure out.
Yeah, although sadly I guess that's also one of the things that many people find frustrating about blender, that some settings and features are near impossible to find ;)

If I ever remember where I got that script from, I'll let you know - it came with a lot of other great plug-ins as well.
Appreciate it!

Btw, don't know if you've tried it but a function that I love when unwrapping is the "follow active" unwrap option (u->"Follow active(quads)"). I found out about it not long ago, but it's really helpful when trying to keep the lines straight. Documentation can be found here: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Extensions:Py/Scripts/Manual/UV/UV_Calculate/Follow_active_quads