project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Why is the "saved game during combat" thread locked?  (Read 24238 times)

Offline Tekky

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: Why is the "saved game during combat" thread locked?
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2009, 03:35:29 pm »
We don't need any more discussion about it. If you make a modification you can share it with other players in the User modifications forum.
If you want a mod, go for it, it can go in that section of the forum
I am sorry, I think I misunderstood the quoted sentences above. I thought I was being told to make my own mod and post it in the mod forum. Therefore, I assumed I was forbidden to do any further discussion until I made such a mod. That's why I was complaining about censorship. Is my understanding correct that this assumption of mine was incorrect? It is permissible to start a thread in a mod section even if I have no plans to make such a mod?

Offline Kildor

• Project Artist
  • Captain
  • Project mapper and some other stuff`er
    • View Profile
    • http://ufoai.nx0.ru
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2009, 04:41:09 pm »
> It is permissible to start a thread in a mod section even if I have no plans to make such a mod?
Sure you can. May be there will be someone who codes that mod.

Just no need to munch and ruminate one single idea, that`s all.

Offline nerf5000

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2009, 03:53:33 am »
Every time I see this kind of discussion I lol hard because people that argue with the devs/designers seem to completely not understand what open-source means. Everyone seems to think open-source is some sort of communist approach to coding and the coders have a responsibility for the 'greater good' so they have to do what everyone wants, and everyone is entitled to something... and it is not.

In a nutshell all you get is the code, you can look at it and you can reuse it if you don't charge for it. That's it. They don't even have to compile it for you!

Oh yeah, and if you think about it... if it's a lot of work and it's a feature you don't like, you don't want, would you work on it? Would you really?

Offline Tekky

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2009, 11:18:49 am »
> It is permissible to start a thread in a mod section even if I have no plans to make such a mod?
Sure you can. May be there will be someone who codes that mod.
Thanks, I am pleased to see that my concerns about censorship of discussion turned out to be wrong.

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2009, 02:38:02 pm »
Hi everyone,

A small offtopic about savegames - the most hardcore savegame feature I've ever encountered was in Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate (IMO one of the best games ever and similar to UFO:AI but without base management - limited ammount of troops (at about 60 for whole game) and supplies, ranks for troops; equip them, go to "battlescape" and kill enemies). There were 4 difficulty levels:

Space Marine - easy, player's units generally stronger, enemy generally weaker
Veteran - average
Champion - hard, opposite of easy
Mighty Hero - same as Champion except for saves - at the beginning of campain you choose a single savegame file, and the game is saved automatically whenever you quit and when one of your soldiers dies in combat. Sweet, isn't it?

Ability to save game during battlescape would enable such "Mighty Hero" difficulty level in UFO:AI, that is, there would be a single save for both geoscape and battlescape, so you couldn't load and choose another equipment. Consider implementing this nightmare of a code to enable that kind of challenge:P (that's an argument for adding battlescape saves in order to make the game harder, not easier:P)

I'm not even close to being good enough player to try that level of difficulty, but I'm sure some of you are:)

If implemented, I would enable battlescape saves at will in easiest difficulty setting, but I'm not a developer, so it's just a suggestion which, I guess, will be rejected:P

Offline Duke

• Administrator
  • PHALANX veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2009, 08:37:57 pm »
... a single savegame file, and the game is saved automatically whenever you quit and when one of your soldiers dies in combat.
At least that's the best concept I've heard of so far if you want to achieve that saves can't be exploited :)

EDIT: forget it, people will copy savegames around  and have as many of them as they like.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2009, 08:41:24 pm by Duke »

Offline Riker

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2009, 11:22:24 am »
Right, I forgot about that...

Isn't there any way of "chmod"ing them into read-only while UFO:AI is running in such a way that only the game can "chmod" it back? Or would it, even if possible, waay too much trouble?

Offline Thyranim

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 09, 2009, 12:30:43 pm »
every attribute the game sets, can be unset by the user

Offline Troberg

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 22, 2009, 01:46:44 pm »
A small offtopic about savegames - the most hardcore savegame feature I've ever encountered was in Warhammer 40k Chaos Gate (snip) There were 4 difficulty levels: (snip)

A somewhat similar system was used in Warlords Battlecry. It had, iirc, three levels:

* Tin man. Ordinary saves, ordinary XP.
* Bronze man. Ordinary saves, if you die, lose XP, but if you win, +50% XP.
* Iron man. If you die, it's game over. +100% XP.

The exact levels may be off, but the idea is that you get punished for playing it safe.

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2009, 03:59:37 pm »
Actually I like the game they way it is (without saves). I used to play X-Com in the described manner of loading&saving a lot. But Alien Invasion is different. If the mission is close to the end and some soldiers die... they die. That's okay. And I like it that way - I actually experienced. It adds a bit of thrill to the game to know that you can't just rush around that corner and take a look... and load if it was the wrong decision. =)

Andreas

Offline sfss

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2010, 07:01:33 am »
2Developers
if you will not listen for what the players want, you will be the only players of this game.

2mod developers
just make the saving system as it was in x-com UFO.
yes, i will save&load before i will kill all alien & all my soldiers are alive. but i like it ;)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2010, 07:39:30 am »
thanks for sharing your wisdom.

Offline Battlescared

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2010, 05:09:32 pm »
I think you should implement save during combat with another difficulty mode.  And it should be called....

"Happy Happy Pony" mode.

I was going to say "Hello Kitty" mode, but that is trademarked.  ;)

Ain Soph Aur

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2010, 11:55:19 pm »
I think you should implement save during combat with another difficulty mode.  And it should be called....

"Happy Happy Pony" mode.

I was going to say "Hello Kitty" mode, but that is trademarked.  ;)

Hahaha... Good idea!

2Developers
if you will not listen for what the players want, you will be the only players of this game.

2mod developers
just make the saving system as it was in x-com UFO.
yes, i will save&load before i will kill all alien & all my soldiers are alive. but i like it ;)

you know what? just code the "save-while-on-mission" part and maybe it will be in the official game under the "Happy Happy Pony" difficulty mode with a pink background :] and if not... hey, the game is open source, just implement it into your own build and start playing. where is the problem??

Offline Viento

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2010, 04:55:13 pm »
Let the right peaope spend their energy on more important issues. ;)

Andy