project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Help on /base/ufo/medals.ufo  (Read 4904 times)

odie

Help on /base/ufo/medals.ufo
« on: March 12, 2009, 07:53:53 am »
Hi,

A quick query. Been looking into the .UFO files

Came across medals.ufo and got some queries:

Code: [Select]
rank sergeant
{
name "_Sergeant"
shortname "_Sgt"
image "ranks/rank_04"
mind 60
killed_enemies 10
killed_others 7
type EMPL_SOLDIER
factor 0.5
}

I already know from the header comments what mind and killed_enemies and killed_other are.
I figured out what are the types too.

Query 1:
Does the name and shortname requires the "_" ?? What does it do??

Query 2:
What is the factor??

Query 3:
I noticed at the top of this file are codes paving for "Medals" and "Coins". What have the programmers / developers in mind for this pls?

Query 4:
I have noticed in some hacks (my own....), i have designated my characters to start with 100 attributes for some cases, and realised even after missions their stats are not improved. Is the max limit capped at 100 for each attribute? Where can i find the max attributes for diff states pls? I intend to see if i can help with balancing certain stuff. :)

PS: For noobs, pls dun clutter this thread with unnecessary comments. Its meant for developers and those who have played around this file. Thanks for cooperation.

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: Help on /base/ufo/medals.ufo
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2009, 09:04:23 am »
Query 1:
Does the name and shortname requires the "_" ?? What does it do??

I can answer this one only as I read some of the ufo files yesterday. The '_' means that this string is translatable and the game will look for the translation in other files. This is explained in the weapons ufo file I think.

odie

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 06:12:17 am »
I can answer this one only as I read some of the ufo files yesterday. The '_' means that this string is translatable and the game will look for the translation in other files. This is explained in the weapons ufo file I think.

Oh, thanks Valis! I got this answer from someone in PM earlier. Thanks! :)

Re the rest: Anyone else pls?

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 12:50:25 am »
I'd like to know the answers for all Odie's questions as well.

• Factor???
  • Medal/Coins
  • Max attributes?

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:43:28 am »
Query 2:
What is the factor??

The factor is currently only used for automissions. the higher the factor (as in the higher the rank the higher should be) the higher is the probability to win the automission => the more soldiers with higher ranks => the more chances you have to win the match.

Query 3:
I noticed at the top of this file are codes paving for "Medals" and "Coins". What have the programmers / developers in mind for this pls?

good question - maybe old stuff.

Query 4:
I have noticed in some hacks (my own....), i have designated my characters to start with 100 attributes for some cases, and realised even after missions their stats are not improved. Is the max limit capped at 100 for each attribute? Where can i find the max attributes for diff states pls? I intend to see if i can help with balancing certain stuff. :)

which attributes are you talking about exactly? mind? the MAX_SKILL   limit is 100.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 09:06:34 am »
The only attribute that can go above 100 is health, and that can go as high as 255.

Offline Another Guy

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2009, 02:35:33 pm »
Thx for answers! I'm trying to go into some bug probably involving ranks and it'll be easier to test around now.  :D

odie

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2009, 09:30:21 pm »
The factor is currently only used for automissions. the higher the factor (as in the higher the rank the higher should be) the higher is the probability to win the automission => the more soldiers with higher ranks => the more chances you have to win the match.

good question - maybe old stuff.

which attributes are you talking about exactly? mind? the MAX_SKILL   limit is 100.

OOoo, Mattn! Love ye!

Thanks for the answers. :D

Just one more query on medals - Is the team still thinking of a profile for individual soldiers for rank sigs, tour of duty decorations and medals?? (Maybe in as far as v2.4 or 2.5, no worries).