project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: A few suggestions  (Read 4607 times)

Offline thunktone

• Rookie
    • View Profile
A few suggestions
« on: February 18, 2009, 06:31:09 pm »
I've been playing svn revision 22057 for a while now and have a few suggestions.

1) City lights on 3D geoscape
The 2D map has light polution visible on the night side but this is not visible on the 3D map. I guess this is because a single skin is being used in 3D but I was wondering if it will be implemented. It's nice if only because it makes it a bit easier to name my bases. Failing that it would be good to have a button on the main screen to toggle 2D/3D.

2) Higher/no installation limit
I took a strategy of scattering SAM sites around my bases and soon hit the intallation limit. It spoils the suspension of disbelief a bit. I think perhaps high build and upkeep costs would be a better way to limit the player.

3) Easier transfers
Transfering several of one item is currently quite frustrating. When buying or producing equipment you can use the mouse wheel to adjust quantities. It would be good if you could do this on the transfer screen too.

4) Radar range when placing bases and radar installations
Displaying this as you move the cursor would make it easier to place bases strategically. Missile range would be handy too.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: A few suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:49 pm »
2) Higher/no installation limit

Installation limit is too high IMO, Maybe could be increased when more/heavier UFOs (UFO formations even) will be in but not till that.

3) Easier transfers
Transfering several of one item is currently quite frustrating. When buying or producing equipment you can use the mouse wheel to adjust quantities. It would be good if you could do this on the transfer screen too.

Transfer (screen) is the one should be completely redone. (If only I found the time....)

-geever

odie

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2009, 10:42:15 am »
Oh, and still on installations, i hit max break i thnk at 10 sams and 2 radar.....

I just compiled 22773 today and will try tonite. I believe it will be more practical to have more since max base is 8, and even with just 4 sams per site protecting a base, u will still hit 32 easily...... let alone those remote areas....

What do u thnk? :)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2009, 01:15:51 pm »
I think you don't realize what the installations are for. SAMs are *not* meant to protect a base, they're to provide fire support in areas where base weapons don't reach.

I agree with geever.

Offline thunktone

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2009, 02:13:35 pm »
Installation limit is too high IMO, Maybe could be increased when more/heavier UFOs (UFO formations even) will be in but not till that.

I certainly don't think this ones a priority. It's just a bit jarring to hit a hard limit. Maybe something to consider later when the game is being balanced.

I think you don't realize what the installations are for. SAMs are *not* meant to protect a base, they're to provide fire support in areas where base weapons don't reach.

In that case I think they are too cheap. You can get five or six SAM sites for the cost of a small hangar and a kitted out stiletto. But again maybe that's something for later.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 02:15:57 pm by thunktone »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2009, 02:15:59 pm »
They're supposed to be relatively cheap. SAM sites aren't supposed to be able to take down any but the smallest UFOs by themselves. They're meant to give interceptors an edge.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 02:21:06 pm »
I saw a savegame where the player had only 1 or 2 bases but covered the whole Earth with radar towers so I think this an exploitable area. However now UFOs are attacking installations which may solve this point.

-geever

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2009, 01:54:17 pm »
Installations shouldn't be bombed all the time, mind you, that'd be just annoying. Better to put a global cap on installations and let the player figure out which ones he wants most.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2009, 07:50:20 pm »
or just make them more expensive

Offline bayo

• Professional loser
  • Project Coder
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2009, 07:39:33 pm »
and longer to build ; 6 months-1 year

Offline vedrit

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2009, 07:49:28 pm »
Or fix an issue Ive found with base missiles. They done fire. It just goes to the first SAM.
I havent met this limit, so I say do not change it.

Offline geever

• Project Coder
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2009, 08:17:20 pm »
Well, we cannot fix a bug which we don't know about. And I don't remember this one. Please file a detailed report on SF bugtracker including reproducing info and maybe savegame. Thx.

-geever

odie

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:53 am »

I agree with geever.

Okie, back after trying out the latest 22900+ series SVN. Well, actually i am beginning to wonder what installations are for already.....

Exploring international models for sites / installations, i realised that they are to either provide skeletally:
1) Close to base support.
2) Off-site storage
3) Supply lines
4) Early warning systems
5) Offensive Systems

Hence, we take this model and look at our game:
1) Close to base support - I feel that this should be some sort of missile network, much like US' missile defense net -> Which makes sense and onli feasible if there are X nos of Anti-missile missile sites. For us here, missiles would be UFOs, and the Anti missile missile (patriot missile) would be our sam sites. Whilst we cant have 100 installations, u cannot implement any sensible missile net for 8 bases (the max) w/o having at least 3 - 4 sam sites. UNLESS......

1a) Each sam sites has the functionality to install > 1 sam battery. Eg, 8 would be nice. And the range increased. Or, set a sam sites with multiple points......

2) Off-site storage.... well, we already have decided in this game to have in base storage, hence i dun thnk i wanna continue this point.... though for real life, we do have ammo depots and stuff....

3) Supply lines - same....as point 2. We already have many discussions of off base airports / sites and stuff..... so, i stand by the decisions of the developers to keep UFOs at UFO yards, and interceptors and transports in base. Dun raise anymore futile discussions on this too. lol

4) Early Warning Systems - I thnk implementation on the way with the off-site installation of radar towers..... Though to cover the whole earth with 1 or 2 bases would be impossible with the current installation limit. Hence, i am pushing for the increase of this cap.

5) Offensive System. Here's a good thought on why i am pushing for limits too.... imagine, your earth is now covered with radars..... bases and vicinity covered with Sam supports (hence nearly not penetrable - though bigger UFOs will get thru), and then u discover a well, Alien Base. Yet, its so advanced that u cannot take it yet with your team. And still you want to shoot down every other probe that flies out of it.... what will u do?

I will build some sam sites around, ALOT of em in fact, getting interceptors in the vicinity always to "SUPERVISE" the work, in case UFOs come by and disturb. Then whala! When done, it becomes a siege...... lol. What do u folks thnk?

I dun push stuff and ideas w/o thinking ...... :P