project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: How it should be done  (Read 2208 times)

Kristian

How it should be done
« on: May 13, 2008, 04:12:51 pm »
Hello,

Congratulations and thanks for all the developers. Making a new, improved version of this classic game is a fabulous idea and the work done already is commendable. I must say I really love the lore, atmosphere and how real world technology, politics and economics have been used to form a feasible and exciting background for the setting. The ufopedia is probably the best part of the game.

However, technically, I must criticize the project. I do understand it is under development, which explains missing intercept air combat routine, limited maps and bulkiness of the user interface. Something which I find unacceptable, however, is the engine. The ancient Quake code is totally obsolete.

Original UFO had totally destructible terrain. We're living year 2008. This tactically important element are a must in order to honor the original game. It should be improved, not excluded, and no technicality should be used as an excuse for not doing so. Good background story is rare and expensive, but the code must live up to it. I am sure there are many convenience reasons why one wants to stick to old code, but it will harm the outcome. The earlier the engine is exchanged for something modernly acceptable, the earlier people can focus on the essential and stop wasting effort.

In other words: Since one wants to do an exceptional game, why settle for a half measure. Let's do it right once and for all.

I hope this opinion didn't anger anyone and I apologize if it did. I am not looking to troll or pick a fight, but I think this had to be said.

Kristian

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Re: How it should be done
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 06:23:48 pm »
Topic is locked - see our FAQ - if you want to implement it, feel free to submit patches. We would of course introduce them. If you don't plan to implement it - please stop asking for this feature.