project-navigation
Personal tools

Poll

What melee weapons do your soldiers carry?

None
33 (66%)
Combat Knife
3 (6%)
Kerrblade
2 (4%)
Monomolecular Knife
3 (6%)
Plasma Blade
9 (18%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Blades  (Read 27837 times)

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Re: Blades
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2008, 10:08:44 am »
what, no "charge of the light brigade" with swords drawn against plasma guns?  Bet it will scare them silly!

I see.  Never used flashbangs, will have to practice, I guess.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2008, 12:42:45 pm »
what, no "charge of the light brigade" with swords drawn against plasma guns?  Bet it will scare them silly!

I see.  Never used flashbangs, will have to practice, I guess.

Dude, I have NEVER used flashbangs.  CHARGE OF THE LIGHT BRIGADE=my soldiers moving forward ZAPPING alien-buggers with my LASER weapons on reaction mode.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2008, 04:20:45 am »
Oh, that I like!  Need some armor and a bit better confidence in reaction fire.  For now - the slow version - the crawl of the light bregade - with cover, crouch and reaction fire.

Captain Bipto

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 01:28:33 pm »
Hey!

I have discovered that the aliens crave BLAZING ELECTRIC DEATH...

being the generous soul I am I oblige them...with autofire baby!

Offline Chriswriter90

• Squad Leader
  • Zilla Response Unit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2008, 11:37:14 pm »
STUN-RODS ALL THE WAY ;D

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2008, 05:59:52 am »
I believe no bladed weapon is of any use if you have to pull off your pack and dig it out. A blade simply must be draw-able or it's irrelevant. I've never needed a blade, but I carry a plasma blade on each agent for a just-in-case situation. I'd rather spend the trouble and have them never need it, than save the trouble and have them lacking a knife even once.

Shak

« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2008, 06:18:41 pm »
Amen to that, better to have one and never need it :)

zircher

« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2008, 04:27:11 pm »
I'm in the no blade camp since I worry about encumberance.  I tend to choose my soldiers based on accuracy, mind, and skills.  So, they tend to be below average in strength.  Anyway, if my guys get in melee combat, something has gone terribly wrong with the tactical situation.  :-)
--
TAZ

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2008, 05:13:27 pm »
encumberance is not implemented yet, I think.

Offline Doctor J

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2008, 11:59:54 pm »
If encumbrance was an issue you'd have to have a weight stat for every item.  This currently does not exist.

zircher

« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2008, 01:04:54 am »
OK, then let's say I'm playing under a handicap that simulates a possible later version.  :-)
--
TAZ

Surrealistik

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 08:15:41 pm »
Plasma blade. Great for close encounters, unexpected and otherwise, as they insta kill. In multiplayer, they're incredibly useful for much the same reason.

Offline VoxDissident

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2008, 02:11:06 am »
In open ground close quarters would be dumb, just like in real life.

Though it would be funny to see 8 men charging across an open field with Kerr blades and Scottish kilts and woad war paint.

Offline DanielOR

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2008, 07:50:23 pm »
Short cut scene of an armored soldier dueling with an Ortnok on Kerr blades.  Another shot of a soldier throwing a plasma blade at a Taman and hitting him square in the head.  A slightly longer shot of a wounded, kneeling Shevar and a soldier standing over it with a Kerr blade raised in two hands.  The soldier yells: "In the end, there can be only one species!"  As the blade begins to fall, the screen goes dark.

Highlander: Alien Invasion.

Coming soon to an Earth near you.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2008, 05:44:29 pm by DanielOR »

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2008, 02:23:24 am »
well according to the game lore that soldier would stand no chance in meele combat with an Ortonok- its like fighting a super mutant from fallout - even more, as ortonok has no blood to spill- as someone said-
if it bleeds- i can kill it
Ortonoks dont. Nevertheless- they can be killed ;)

"In the end, there can be only one species!"

I dont like it- some folks would find a racist context and this would serve no one and nothing. Dont get me wrong- i like the idea of such cutscenes, but they should make sense- not like an army propaganda that makes people think war is fun.
It should rather show that the situation is dire- maybe a pillaged city, dead civilians, children crying over dead parents and than taken brutally on a harvester. Something that would show its not a spectacular epic battle of good and evil- but a desperate fight for survival of humankind, where the death can came from everywhere.
Enyone seen one of the old starcraft cutscenes- where marines blew up a science vessel taken by the Zerg