project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Musician wanting to contribute  (Read 9991 times)

tackle

Musician wanting to contribute
« on: January 17, 2008, 11:50:41 am »
Hi everybody!

I just wanted to say that if the situation arises where more music is needed, I'd be happy to contribute.
I bet there's already tons of guys wanting to give their music to this project, so it might already be covered on all ends. Nevertheless, sometimes you feel that certain tracks don't just cut it, or you're looking for that "something else", then I'll be here very willing to give it a shot!

I'll keep you posted on a portfolio presentation I'm working on.
In the meantime if you want to listen to something I've done check out this:
http://www.karlmacklin.com/egypten.mp3
It's a middle-eastern inspired orchestral track.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Musician wanting to contribute
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2008, 11:59:36 am »
If there are tons of artists wanting to help, I wish they would speak up, because you can never have too many. And that goes for you too. Anything you wish to contribute to this project we will gladly accept (if it's good enough, of course!). The most important thing is that you have to agree to place your work under a license that is compatible with our project.

tackle

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 12:39:23 pm »
Well I have to admit I'm not too educated when it comes to the different licenses.

But what I agree to is that the music is used for the game, I'm credited for that, and that I get to put up the same songs in a portfolio of my own, linking to the project. And that it is distributed in the same manner the game is. Essentially, a part of the same "product".

I'm not sure what else there is to consider... perhaps advertising? If someone would make a small promo clip for this project, then by all means the music should be there too.

SpaceWombat

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 01:50:39 pm »
Nice work! Sounds a bit like C&C Generals.
If I might recommend somehting about ingame sounds:
Instead of this techno sound on the geoscope which is more like a soundtrack for action scenes I would like to hear something military as well as in the base overview. During missions something x-files like spooky.
And if this is possible a dynamic background sound for example first spot of an alien during mission triggers a more dynamic sound.
Hope to see more of that good sound in future versions. Or can you give us more examples while you work on it?
Thanks for your contribution anyway.  :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 07:14:13 pm »
very nice work.

if you would agree to release your work under the "Creative Commons Attribution 3.0" license, we could integrate your music into our game.

but we would need the tracks in ogg format, not mp3 please

best regards
martin

tackle

« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2008, 06:55:29 pm »
The format can be anything, ogg is great.

What I would like to know is if there's any sections in the game that you specifically need music for.

Perhaps some variation for the existing themes? I have some ideas both for ground combat music and the world overview.
I kinda need to know where to start.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2008, 08:38:01 pm »
Honestly, if you have an idea for something, go for it and never look back. However, several people have commented about the geoscape music in a negative way, so if you need a place to start, that could be it.

tackle

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2008, 11:20:44 pm »
ten four buddy!

tackle

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 01:27:49 am »
How about something like this for geoscape?

http://www.karlmacklin.com/geotest1.mp3

And longer of course, with more variation...

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 11:23:14 am »
it would be nice if you could offer your downloads as ogg version - then we could integrate it into the game and have a look there - it's often a different thing to hear a music track and to hear it in the atmosphere where it "belongs"

sathie

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 03:58:04 pm »
I really like the music, Tackle.  Whether it is accepted into the game or not I think I would play with the in-game music muted and this playing on winamp.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 05:54:14 pm »
A word of advice, Tackle. For the geoscape music, it's important that the track can loop indefinitely without a noticeable transition. You may want to keep that in mind when editing this track.

Great job so far.

tackle

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2008, 06:05:48 pm »
Is it possible to set loop points that has the left locator a bit into the song? Or does it have to be something that loops aaall the way from the beginning?

Btw, is there any way to open the pk3-files in the game and change songs? I mean, if I make something and want to try it in-game. Sure I can play it in winamp and try it that way, but still.

Offline qubodup

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2008, 11:48:33 pm »
I think 7zip might be able to open pk3. try your default winzip/rar/whatever though.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2008, 02:39:15 am »
I think 7zip might be able to open pk3. try your default winzip/rar/whatever though.

Just re-name the pk3 to have the zip extension and the default zip manager in windows will work (and re-name it back to pk3 when you're done).  Please note that when you zip it back up however, you should use the built-in zip function if you're on windows, as I've found from experience that re-zipping it with 7zip or other programs and then renaming it back to pk3 results in errors when the game tries to access the pk3 - something about the way other zip programs create zip files that the game doesn't like.

EDIT: BTW, the MP3 clip sounds great, in my opinion, I'd say it is definitely worth lengthening and developing more.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 02:42:15 am by Destructavator »