project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What other games do you enjoy?  (Read 24764 times)

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: What other games do you enjoy?
« Reply #45 on: June 27, 2008, 12:14:52 am »
Settlers 2 - thank you DOSbox
Planeshift
Warcraft 3 - not the best IMHO
Vampire the masquerade bloodlines
Total annihilation
recently spring- remake of TA

I also miss Warhammer 40k and i think ill soon try it via wine(another lovely invention for penguin lovers)

EDIT1
IMPORTANT- anyone has a Dungeon Keeper 1 game with dos4gw.exe or keeper.exe?
My ateptms to run it on wine failed and DK gold no longer has dos files.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008, 01:31:21 am by Nevasith »

sirg

« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2008, 01:31:50 pm »
try dosbox, and there is a special dos4gw file available for download... i got one to run Warcraft 1. It's a modified file, version 2.0a

Offline Nevasith

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 01, 2008, 02:35:21 pm »
i got dosbox- as i wrote near settlers. I just cant find the dos4gw.exe
All DK versions had only keeper95.exe

sirg

« Reply #48 on: July 02, 2008, 08:33:12 pm »
try this link

http://dos32a.narechk.net/index_en.html

it's a new dos4gw, but if you search google you'll be able to download the vintage version as well

Ridiculan

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2008, 10:35:44 pm »
MMOG's i play (in order of appearance)

UO - still a very fun game. This one introduced me to the cruel world of online gaming.

EverQuest. This game was very innovative and fun to play, and in its infancy there was not many kool-dude kids, so the atmosphere was the way it should be in a fantasy good / evil MMOG

Asherons Call. This game had lots of potential and good sides. Too bad it came after EverQuest which got all the attention, and since my friends played EQ so did mostly i.

--------------------------
World War 2 Online. This game is a gem for the WW2 buffs out there. PvP in a MMOG should not be about what sword you have, what level you are, or how many hitpoints you got. This game does it right with physics. Play tank, antitank gun, anti air gun, fly fighter, bomber, divebomber, infantry of many flavours, trucks, hauler for the heavy guns, etc. This game had many problems when it was launched but now its the best pvp MMOG out there i think. And its all on the same server, waging war over a map halfscale of northern France-Belgium-Netherlands-western Germany

Here is a film of some gameplay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gOoS0AVQIAo

--------------
Planetside. Good game, the first 2-3 months, but after fighting over the same complexes over and over and over again in meaningless battles i went back to the truly epic battles of WW2Online mentioned above.

Dark age of Camelot. This game had a good atmosphere for a fantasy RPG MMOG, i liked it alot, now all my friends have quit, and i play it less and less, but i invested so much and have had so many good moments that i find it hard to quit.

EverQuest 2. Tried, too much of the same old same. Quit

Pirates of the Burning Sea. Still active. Many players quit for AoC which i never tried. This game is different from others because its about ruling the seas. Sailing ships, fighting for control in the Caribien sea fighting as british, french, spanish, or pirate in many sailiingships from the smallest rowingboats to the biggest Ship-of-the-line.

Single player games.
UFO:AI of course.
I also used to play UFO: Aftermath and the sequel, but i shelfed those when i came across this game.

Silent Hunter III with the Gray Wolves upgrade. This game is the best submarine simulator i have seen, and i have played alot of them since Silent Service in the late 80's.

Civilization II-IV All great games that have taken alot of my time.

Master of Orion 2, and 3- two very different games. Both great, but the #3 had some serious issues.

DaggerFall. I missed out on Arena which was the first game from Bethesta in this series.
Morrowind. I didnt play this as much as Daggerfall, much because it was a smaller world and i was playing several MMOG's instead.
Oblivion. Great RPG game, superb touch and feeling to it, but my computer is struggling.

Shogun Total War. The first game from the Creative Assembly. This game was a hit for us that where gamers at the time. Also the upgrade Mongol Invasion.
Medieval Total War. Sequel to Shogun, many things that made the game better, a classic among gamers. Also with the upgrade Viking Invasion.
Rome Total War. This was a bit of a turnoff since the game had turn into mainstream gaming with a "fastfood" touch to it. The "Total Realism" mod made it a much better game IMHO. Also with the upgrade Barbarian Invasion.

Medieval II. Great game but sadly with some of the fast-food elements to attract the AD/HD gamers. Corrected in many great mods out there. Later came the upgrade Kingdoms which added many new functions.

I also play too many games to be added to the list. More may came later.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 31, 2008, 12:22:01 pm »
I dont know if you heard....

but EMPIRE Total War is coming out soon... And now they let you control the naval battles... heh.. heh... heh....

based 1600-1850?

im thinking china or ottomans.. they say there is 50 factions to play lol on the world map oh yeah baby!!!

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 31, 2008, 01:15:55 pm »
You probably need to buy a new computer to play it, though.

Ridiculan

« Reply #52 on: July 31, 2008, 01:22:17 pm »
Im looking forward to Empires : Total War, but from experience the game has to be modded for us grognards.

sureideas

« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2009, 10:27:33 am »
Aside from UFO:AI what do you play alot of?
Rome:Total War is a bit of favourite of mine. I used to be an Everquest junkie, I play The Sims 2 now and again.
 Neverwinter Nights, Baldurs gate 1+2 were great and I occaisonaly replay them. Freelancer was alot of fun and I still have it installed
I enjoyed strategy games like Age of Empires.. I loved the second version and third and new version failed me a bit.. I used to sit for more than 4 hours playing the game..

Offline Valis

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 07, 2009, 02:59:38 pm »
Nowdays I only play two games for real:
- UFOAI :)
- Civ IV: FFH2 - this is a mod for Civ IV, I have not played a single game of civ ever since I saw the mod, there are thousands of ppl who bought the expansion BtS only to play that mod, believe me, it is that powerful
[ http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=308020 ]

- not any more but year ago played DoW online a lot

I also used to play a lot:
- MoO2 - Galactic Civ 2 is awful if you ever got into MoO2 for real
- M.A.X.
- Settlers I&II
- Heroes of Might and Magic 1 to 3 + WoG [Wake of Gods, unoficial modpack]
- Homeworld
- Shogun: Total War

Now you know why I am so found of modding.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 07, 2009, 03:17:17 pm »
I gave FFH2 a shot, but I never got far. Then again, I never got far with Civ 4 in the first place. I'm just not good at it.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 07, 2009, 03:42:09 pm »
You probably need to buy a new computer to play it, though.

i did buy a new computer to play it Axis :-p LOL

i guess ill throw my 2 cents in

Games i still regularly play

IL-2 1946 probably the best flight sim ever developed for ww2

Moo2  - If anyone here hasnt played moo2... well they should be slapped and given a computer to play it on

Civ 4 - beyond the sword - all the civ series is really good .. this one has again pushed the 4x genre to the top

Master of Magic - this game rocked.. period...

Xcom enemy unknown - im a sucker for this game i still love playing it

Medieval 2 Kingdoms with retrofit mod - friends and i are playing this as a hotseat play by email game.. i am playing turkey 1 is playing england and the other milan... its turning out to be quite fun..

Empire Total War - I've been playing this since it was released a month ago.. and well its got a lot of bugs and such... and needs to be ironed out before it can become a true classic

ufo AI - i am still waiting for the latest build to come out for windows so i can play it again.

BTW ive played all 4 games in the elder scroll series... and overall gameplay... Elder scrolls 3 MORROWIND is the best one... i logged over 1500 hours on my level 56 ranger character... including my favorite feature your own designed spells.. i had one called Superjump... jump 200 points for 1 second on self... i could jump across the island in 2 hops.. oblivion was ok but too small in my opinion... arena was good ... daggerfall was pretty decent also but morrowind was the best.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 03:44:14 pm by Darkpriest667 »