project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: What other games do you enjoy?  (Read 25833 times)

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Re: What other games do you enjoy?
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2008, 12:09:21 am »
I've never used it BT :) Thanks for the suggestion ! I assume this will make it work correctly, if I happen to get a copy of the game?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 16, 2008, 12:17:50 am »
I think compatibility is pretty decent. You may need a lot of CPU power to play it at a good speed, but MOO is pretty static, so maybe it doesn't matter too much.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2008, 01:16:40 am »
fallion i have some sort of exe file i made like 5 years ago for windows xp.. i cant even remember exactly how i got it to work..

here are some tips..

using ultra iso or magic iso create a mounted drive

use the mounted drive to trick the game into believing its the disc... or somethign to that effect...

I do still play it fairly regularly and well... I got both my roomates addicted to it

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 16, 2008, 01:39:08 am »
I never actually got into MOO2. I completed a game once, but I never felt the need to play another. I played the crap out of Ascendancy, though, even though that game has its own set of flaws.

Nowadays when I want a space 4X I look to Sword of the Stars. I'm trying to like Space Empires V too, but it's just too full of micro.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2008, 03:18:00 am »
I just took a look at some game called Galactic Civilizations 2...it looks pretty good, especially with the 2 expansions. Basically, I'm tired of all my old games and need some type of a fix, while awaiting 2.3 to come out...

Anyone have anything positive to say about GC2? And BT...how good is that Sword of the Stars you mentioned? Maybe I'll get both of them...usually can get stuff fairly inexpensive off Amazon if they have been out for a bit. I'm sure I'll get at least one of them...and just pass on trying to get the old MOO2 to work.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 03:20:36 am by Falion »

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2008, 01:11:15 pm »
I don't like GC2. I know it's tooted to be one of the best 4X out there, but I've played it several times, none of which long. I don't like the way the game works. If you don't immediately go into debt buying colonizers you lose the initial race for planets, and if you do you're stuck with a shit economy for ages. I also don't really care much for the way ships move. Furthermore capturing enemy planets is a major pain in the ass. The first mission in the campaign makes you capture one enemy planet, and it took so long I got bored and deleted the game.

Designing your own ships is kind of fun, I suppose, but it's also useless since all that matters is what modules you put on it. Plus the interface didn't work well for me because it relies heavily on the mous wheel/MMB, which I don't have.

If you really want a game of this scope and depth, go for Civ 4.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2008, 06:18:38 pm »
Civ 4 is pretty good all of the civ series are.. ive played all 4.. (yes including the dos version that had EGA graphics)   

Space empires 5 is fun but like you said BT... too damn much micromanaging....

Master of orion 3 was a complete fubar

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2008, 06:20:02 pm »
fallion have you tried the total war series? I find it to be pretty fun

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2008, 06:29:07 pm »
No I haven't done the War series...both Rome and the newer one look good, but I'm more into sci-fi and space type stuff. Maybe I'll give one or both of them a go anyhow. I guess there isn't any really knock your socks off sci-fi 4X games out there ATM. Sad to hear about GC2 BT...all the reviews I looked over, gave it anywhere from a 8.0 or better on a scale of 1-10...maybe they get a commission LOL.

On another note...I'm really looking forward to Fallout 3 in the fall, just hope it's done right !!!

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2008, 02:07:38 am »
BT...might want to check out GC2 here....

http://www.g4tv.com/xplay/reviews/1776/Galactic_Civilizations_2_Twilight_of_Arnor.html

Seems the game has had a decent overhaul...might actually be worth a try now. There is also a total conversion of X3 being worked on for GC2...which is interesting.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2008, 02:09:54 am »
I know GC2 gets euphoric reviews. That doesn't suddenly make it a good game.

Offline Falion

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2008, 02:10:51 am »
Didn't say it did...it may actually suck, just sounds like it's had some work done to it.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2008, 02:21:45 am »
Yeah, Stardock has really been keeping at it. Lots of patches and improvements. They offer the kind of support that puts other companies to shame.

The game just isn't for me.

They also made a real-time thing called Sins of a Solar Empire. It's sort of interesting, but from what I've seen it doesn't have much staying power. But some of the mods that people are making for it appeal to me, so I'm keeping an eye on it.

Offline Darkpriest667

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2008, 02:47:16 am »
i have sins of a solar e mpire... its ok but its basic RTS tactics build the cheapest most effective unit and rush.. thats not my style and players got pissed when i made maps with 40 stars lol... where it takes an hour just to get your fleet from star system a to star system b...

some of the mods are good but it has a unit limit and i have a problem w ith that

sirg

« Reply #44 on: June 25, 2008, 09:42:46 am »
For those interested in playing Master of Orion 2 on modern systems, there is a patch and a windows exe that works on XP. I managed to make it work with sounds and everything on XP, without DOSbox

MOO2 (dos mode) runs with dos4gw and there is an improved dos4gw version 2 or something, which doesn't crash with dosbox. I used that with Dosbox for playing the old Warcraft 1 Orcs and Humans :)

I see people made some lists with the games they enjoyed. My list would be a page long, and would be similar to Darkpriest's, but not in the same order. Right now I'm casually playing World of Warcraft (after I dedicated the winter to the game). WoW it's a great game because of the fun factor. The devs created a deep storyline and alot of lore, yet there are some things made for fun which you know they aren't meant to be taken seriously, like easter eggs or NPC name puns. I like it because it lets your imagination free, with less concerns about what does has to do with orcs and elves and such...

I liked the squad based strategy games, and I think Jagged Alliance 2 was my favourite, then Fallout, including Tactics. JA was great because each soldier had an unique personality, perks and voice acting, so you got the feeling that you are really in a team with those guys.

I share the opinion that Galactic Civ is a big disappointment. I really tried to find a way to enjoy it, but no matter what I did, I found it boring. The only thing that I did was to make some really cool ship designs, because I was so bored with the game. After that I went back to Master of Orion 2 and deleted Gal Civ :) However, all Civilization style games suffer from to much micromanagement,a nd I don't like them so much. However, I found a rarer version of Civilization 1, called CivNet, which works on modern systems. Tbh, Civ 1 is still very good and quite fun to play, because the game is much more intense than the newer versions where you can play for hours without anything important happening.