project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Secondary shot for Grenade Laucher  (Read 13678 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Secondary shot for Grenade Laucher
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2006, 02:40:18 pm »
So... What about that secondary shot?

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2006, 10:10:24 pm »
Quote from: "BTAxis"
I think the mines would work well that way. They'd have to be significantly more expensive than grenades, though, so players won't buy mines only and use them instead of grenades. Mines are NOT intended as thrown weapons.

Perhaps just make them explode at half the power (mine damage depends of facing, surface contact, etc.). Moreover, they need to be armed (time-consuming for a mine) to explode when thrown, so this eats lots of movement points. This way grenades are way better for throwing, even though mines have bigger damage (at least when set off by aliens). And still a mine guy caught by the alien with an armed mine in his hand can do a lot of hurting.

Quote from: "BTAxis"
So... What about that secondary shot?

For grenades, I like your idea of timed explosion. Primary shot could remain just throw-bounce-explode, the most common mode, for the player convenience.

For Grenade Launcher, I would like something more different, because the primary shot I outlined is not different enough on its own to make the weapon interesting (even if it makes it useful). Your addition of computer aiming is nice, but probably still not enough...

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2006, 10:20:59 pm »
Wait, now I see by the description in the wiki that some of the mine types are not proximity mines, but are just timed grenades (set to explode just one turn ahead) !!! What do we do now?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2006, 09:27:06 am »
No, no, you misunderstood. They arm after one round. They explode on contact, or in the case of proximity mines, when a unit gets close enough, but only after the mine is armed. The arming thing is so the mine won't go off the moment it's set, since the soldier who sets it places it at his/her own square.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 08:55:22 pm »
Oh, good! I guess I panicked. :oops:

P.S. Now if only grenade-like bouncing weapon stat were not hardcoded (e.g. range is hard-coded and changing the fictional value 4.0 does nothing)...

sirg

« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2006, 12:21:03 pm »
I would like a secondary mode in which the grenade is fired in a straight line - no balistic trajectory. Good for close quarters combat and indoors (no more grenades bouncing off the ceiling) :oops:
Indoors, this very cool weapon  :) is almost useless, unless you want to kill your squad  :wink:

Sacrusha

« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2006, 11:53:24 am »
Primary mode: just fire, uses trajectory but explodes on impact, therefore doesn't bounce.

Secondary mode: fire proximity mine, gets activated once it lies still again and will trigger as soon as someone approaches. FF proximity mines can be researched.

(Yes, this needs some coding, I'd say 60-90 minutes)

sirg

« Reply #22 on: October 15, 2006, 02:16:15 pm »
I don't know why some people think reinventing the wheel is cool and try complicated concepts with in game weapons.
Try imagining a simple yet versatile weapon.
OK, as I stated before
 - primary mode - straight shot, like the rocket launcher (think about Terminator in T2, when killing T1000, it's almost the same grenade launcher)  :lol:  ..why - this is good indoors, where you can't shoot balistic..
- secondary mode - the actual balistic mode of fire, which I think is really great, it adds fun to the game - sometimes I manage to shoot granades through windows or doors from long distance, killing the aliens inside.

grumpy

« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2006, 01:13:57 am »
I'd agree with the keep it simple approach and suggest that one mode is explode on impact and the other is timed so that it will explode slightly after impact, after a bounce or two.

A more realistic real-world option would probably be between impact and air-burst. I think that would be difficult to use in the game as it is now.