project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: UFO:AI on Ebay??  (Read 26468 times)

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
UFO:AI on Ebay??
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2007, 03:08:06 pm »
Maybe he's selling a 2.2 test installer, as opposed to the official 2.1.1 version.

Offline simulatoralive

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2007, 04:11:32 pm »
Someone should find out if they're actually providing the source code for their modifications.  If they're not, you can really rake em' over the coals.  That would be a GPL violation.  The owners of this project could then take them to court to force the source to their changes out of them.

They seem to be infringing on the artwork licenses, so it wouldn't surprise me if they were stepping all over the code license, too.

sd77

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2007, 11:03:42 am »
Hello I've been following this thread and have been contacting the members that have bought this game from this guy.
One member told me that after he bought it, he was sent this link to download it:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=157793&package_id=194208

maybe you can see now if it's legit for him to do so or not.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 12:02:44 pm »
So someone was swindled into paying money for a link to the free sourceforge download - yup, that's definitely a scam all right...

Something tells me someone was probably going to pull something like this with something free sooner or later, seems everyone wants to make a buck these days, even if it's through illegal means.

Well, being that the seller is based in the U.S. I'd say there is more than enough grounds to prosecute, although I'm not a lawyer.

I would suggest one of the devs, if they wish to pursue this, be chosen to represent the collective developers and contributers to this project and go through the VERO program on ebay - the form did state explicitly that it would not have to be filled out and submitted by the actual creator(s) of the work, but could be done by someone authorized to represent.

Simply going through the VERO program alone might be enough to stop this scandal, and would not necessarily mean a drawn-out legal battle, therefore I would suggest the VERO form first.

sd77

« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2007, 12:41:08 pm »
Am I correct about not seeing any response from the devs in this this thread? Do they care? I would like to see this guy get penalized for something...
Anyway this is the guy selling it on eBay and it looks like he has had a lot of unaware people buy this from him.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Computer-PC-Game-UFO-ALIEN-INVASION-comparable-X-COM_W0QQitemZ200127210132QQihZ010QQcategoryZ62053QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2007, 12:46:33 pm »
The trouble is that it's hard to get scams off eBay, as they don't really seem to care. Do you have any idea how many Nigerian scammers operate on eBay?

However, in recent versions there has been a notice on the startup screen saying "you can download this game for free at http://ufoai.sf.net/". Someone who sold that would most likely get a negative feedback.

inquisiteur2

« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2007, 02:13:20 pm »
Quote from: "sd77"
Am I correct about not seeing any response from the devs in this this thread? Do they care? I would like to see this guy get penalized for something...

Unfortunalty there are no project owner, but project managers. People that could have been the "owners" (im am using the " since the project summarize a lot of separatly owned data/arts through private contributors, thus having a lot of "owners") left the project long time ago, what you can see there is a team of volunteers to continue and enhance their work.

So if a complaint is to be done, anyone is eligible to submit it, even you since you are member of the forum now.  :shock:

I think there is really nothing we can do about, unless you go and post of ebay forum (if there is any).

Offline zippythezip

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: UFO:AI on Ebay??
« Reply #37 on: September 29, 2007, 05:09:41 pm »
The guy is still selling the game, people are still not checking things out before buying.    mareszah_17( 768Feedback score is 500 to 999

his feed back is 98%, who said crime don't pay?

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 29, 2007, 05:16:07 pm »
Recent versions contain a warning on the loading screen that the game is free. It's really all we can do against this. It's sad, but true.

wastelandmerc

« Reply #39 on: September 29, 2007, 06:18:21 pm »
you can't do nothing against people inanity. I don't know who regret more, seller or the people that buy from him.
About the screen it's a good idea but this guy can sell older versions that not contain the screen. I suggest that you remove all files from 2.1.1 ver and place the dev 2.2 if he is still sending link to sourceforge.net. Seller and people will have nice surprise.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 29, 2007, 06:21:59 pm »
Yes, I agree. Once 2.2 is ready the download for 2.1.1 should go.

Offline zippythezip

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2007, 05:12:28 am »
You should check his feed back items and see just how many people this guy has sold to. I guess most people are trusting and think they wont get conned. I am also one of the trusting part of the human race, welcome to the real world  :-[

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 30, 2007, 01:58:35 pm »
I think that part of it is that people don't even realize that they've been conned. Most people don't know what sourceforge is and a lot never even bother to visit the game's homepage. And even if they do find out they've been conned, they may not go to the trouble of raising an issue over $10. That's how it works. You scam people just a little so it doesn't really hurt them, but do it often enough and you end up rich.

Inhuman

« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2007, 07:52:54 pm »
Hello. I've also just seen this scam going on Ebay. There seems to be only one seller selling this on Ebay, so I'm trying to send a message to every Ebay member who has bought this through the seller's feedback page.

Here is my suggestion for the developers, whoever they are: Pick one among yourselves every few months to be the "owner" of this project, and that proceed with whatever action can be taken. People, including Ebay, apparently doesn't give a s.t about non-profit open-source projects. There has to be someone in flesh and bone for them to care.

Offline Destructavator

• Combination Multiple Specialty Developer
  • Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • Creater of Scorchcrafter, knows the zarakites...
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 07, 2007, 11:49:12 pm »
What would be interesting is if one of us involved in the project sacrificed a few dollars to "buy" the game and then left a negative feedback rating with a sentence explaining that the seller is illegally selling a product he doesn't have rights to...

Seriously, I looked at the ratings for this seller and a break in his almost perfect track record could really do some damage to his reputation and make people wake up, as his ratings are listed from previous buyers along with a sentence by each rating.

I can personally afford the $8 or whatever if more people are willing to jump in, just an idea...

(Don't spend anything yet though, at least not unless more people are willing.)

It would certainly cost much less than a court filing fee along with attorney costs and other related legal fees.