project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: CURRENT STORYLINE -- SPOILERS!  (Read 72173 times)

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: CURRENT STORYLINE -- SPOILERS!
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2008, 07:13:49 pm »
I would reduce the whole scale of the aliens...consuming GALAXIES? Does anyone even realise how friggin big a galaxy is and just how many resources there are in a single system, let alone a galaxy?

First of all, I'd reduce the timeline...no 1000000000000000 years ago, since with that much time difference the aliens would have planet-busters as a standard grunt weapon.

So, the Antarean  society grows and one faction develops the XVI virus. The virus makes anyone infected totally suceptable to psychic commands. However, to make sure only they can control those infected, the virus is highly specific in the type of psychic influence. Some antareans are injected with a specific mutagen that is developed together with the virus. It boosts their physic powers and changes the way it works - the virus is "coded" so anyone infected will respond only to those with the mutated psychic signature.
Slowly the virus is used more and more and the mutated controllers gain more and more power. The mutation goes wild however and highly strengthens the most basic instincts of the controlers - the thirst for power, control and growth takes over as they subjugate their planet and years later they move on, leaving the planet and spreading. They develop a jump drive and start conquering other species. the virus is adapted to their genome to control them. The controlers gain more slaves and power.
And their scouting ships come to Earth.

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2008, 07:22:06 pm »
go on :) write a story about it! Sounds good until now.

Sophisanmus

« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2008, 05:02:15 pm »
I'd like to throw out my two cents on the attributes of the XVI virus; I think the virus could be better written as a virus proper, and not the blood borne microscopic organism with strange psychic powers.  The actual XVI virus, and its resulting infection, would be two distinct entities: first, the virus infects and multiplies much as a normal virus, though in a more controlled fashion than a real virus which will consume the host entirely for propagation if not resisted.  The virus infects host cells, re-writing the genetic code to reproduce virus instead of their normal functions; thus it spreads throughout the body.  The virus is most prevalent in the bloodstream, but infects many other areas of the body, most importantly the brain.  The genetic alterations to the brain cells, however, have a somewhat different effect on the host than your normal virus; here we have the XVI infection entity. 

The rewritten DNA in the host's brain causes significant changes, including the awakening of latent psychic capabilities.  However, it does so in such a manner that the host is susceptible or predisposed to domination or inclusion in the existing cross-species hive-mind, the XVI "Consciousness".  Thus the virus is a means to an end, and in a sense two separate, but mutually dependent, life forms. 

I think this approach may ease the suspension of disbelief for a number of issues, and offer some gameplay benefits.  First and foremost, the virus model, as opposed to the microorganism model, strengthens the concept that the XVI conglomerate is entirely reliant upon species-specific strains and an existing level of intelligence for potential hosts.  Each new species must be analyzed, and a specific strain of XVI virus must be developed to both infect their physiology, and rewrite their nervous system to accommodate inclusion into the hive mind.  (There would be no reason to explain why Earth animals of lower intelligence aren't being used by XVI to spread their infection.)

Conversely, counteracting the XVI infection is much more difficult, and prevention is far more vital until a method is developed to both fight the viral spread and subsequently reverse the genetic alterations to those who were fully infected.  Also, the research chain of the XVI infection could more easily lead into the development of player-usable psychic technologies; as the virus inherently unlocks human's latent psychic potential, the study of such could yield safer methods of tapping this potential (i.e. implants). 

A rather random thought here; since the XVI infection would be essentially the composite of the infected minds; the consciousness, and its equipment and tactics, could reflect several stages of development and design philosophy, as influenced by each society it has infiltrated and absorbed.  Even the more primitive societies would have had some impact on the XVI's way of thinking, and progression.  Consequently, as XVI incorporates more humans, it could well start behaving a bit more... human; at least in terms of ambition and violence. 
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 05:10:12 pm by Sophisanmus »

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2008, 05:57:59 pm »
Interesting thought...maybe, the aggressive behavior of aliens could be a RESULT of incorporating humans into hive mind...y'know, why do aliens always have to be naturally evil?

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2008, 06:06:48 pm »
I'm firmly against the XVI virus as a sentient, psycic entity. It leaves a s***load of logic and scientific holes and reeks of bad sci-fi.

If we're already so diligent in making the equipment, the history realistic and believable, why then make a 180° turn when it comes to aliens and their origins and the virus.

Hiveminds have been done to death in sci-fi, especially ufo-type games. X-Com did it. UFO did it. UFO:AI can do better.

While there's nothing inhenrently wrong with tropes, one should use them intelligently.

Sophisanmus

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2008, 07:46:31 pm »
XCOM/UFO had a multi-tier alien force consisting of (relatively) mindless drones, controlled by more intelligent species arranged in a military formation, subservient to a single entity.  Apocalypse had the whole microorganism-with-psionic-control-powers thing already, which is why I thought about the "non-sentient virus leaving a sentient hive-mind in its wake" approach.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2008, 08:03:56 pm by Sophisanmus »

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2008, 08:33:53 pm »
UFO: Aftermath has a gigantic alien biomass that psychicly controlled other aliens

Aftershock has gigantic living spaceships that land on planets, start mind-controlling the population into creating that biomass that covers the whole planet and then sends out a large pulse that attracts male living ships that battle over the female with the armies of inslaved mind-controlled races.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2008, 11:50:04 pm »
So, what you think of THIS storyline? I would mean rewriting some of work done, but not much I hope...

about  5000. B.C. Antareans reach the level of technology roughly equal to late 20th century Earth. Antareans are descendants of predators, and their society keeps similarities with hunting packs-strongest individual is the leader, until forcibly removed. At this point they start messing with genetics, and launch a program similar to SETI. To their surprise, in less than 30 years they are contacted by another race inhabiting nearby star. This race is more advanced and has already lived through its violent period and is now in peace for over 500 years. But also stagnant. So far their attempts to create FTL drive were unsuccessful, so they turned their attention to Antareans and support them with their knowledge.
about 4900 B.C. These aliens, that will become known to humans as Tamans, succeed in their experiments with FTL drive. A first ship is launched, its destination-Antares. Unfortunately, they underestimated Antareans teritorial nature, and when the ship appears at orbit of Antares without warning, it is fired upon by automatic defense system. While the system, primitive by Tamans standards, can't penetrate shielding around FTL drive and reactor, habitation module is almost completely destroyed.
The Antarean leader is now facing a dilemma. If he would admit mistake, he would be removed from the lead...and life. To preserve his life, he declares that Tamans attempted to invade Antares, and using the FTL drive salvaged, within ten years he gathers an army counting 700 000 warriors and launches a counterattack. 14 years after Tamans' ship launched, their remains are facing a dilemma. Die, or join Antarean society as slaves.
4800-2500 B.C. Antarean society undergoes major crisis. With army of slaves at their disposal, major Antarean houses fought each other, and as a result, their numbers quickly diminished at point where only leaders' class survived. This was amplified around 3200 B.C. when Antarean scientists made a major breaktrough on a field of telepathy. By injecting specially engineered virus they caused brain deformation that made it very sensitive to telepathic transmission. With Antareans now capable to instuct their salves with their thoughts, wars became even more intensive. As result, around 2500 B.C. the entire slave army of one house revolted. Remaining Antareans, realizing the threat united and wiped out whole revolting colony from orbit. Knowing that more slaves can revolt, they created special slave implant that allowed them to instantly kill any slave with thought.
After this crisis was over, Antareans realized degradation of their society. They elected their supreme leader (leader of the strongest house) and turned slowly to space exploration.
around 1800 B.C. after long search, another sentient race has been discovered. Called Ortnok, these species were living in Stone Age. Hungry for slaves and xenophobic from their war with Tamans, Antareans quickly enslaved them, and made them their main workers. Tamans, now relieved of these duties, became mostly scientists.
1800 B.C.-around 2000 A.D. Antareans slowly explore space, encountering several life-rich planets, but none with species intelligent enough for contact or enslaving. Without realizing, their bodies began to show physical degradation. Antareans, never being very fertile, now stagnated at numbers barely reaching several thousands.
1950's. Humans encountered. Being too far from Antarean empire to be of any threat or to be useful, the humans became subjects of some experiments, but these were quickly abandoned when they were found physically inferior to Ortnok and less intelligent than Tamans, and only small listening post at far edge of solar system was kept to keep an eye on humans.
around 2020. Antareans encounter Nyrii (just a random thought). Highly developed, telepathic species quickly realized the threat Antareans after they enslaved Shevaar, race long time known to Nyrii. While not being much agressive, they declared war to Antareans, and with superior technology, they slowly pushed Antareans back.
2070, one of Antarean scientists, inspired by Nyrii war mechs, created similar half-biological fighting machine. But they required limited intelligence to effectively operate, and no mechanical device was capable of that. The scientists realized that human brain might be the solution. After few years of experiments, working with only few specimen they managed to create their first sentient war machine, capable of holding the line against Nyrii.
2083-84. The outpost at Solar system in enhanced, and Antarean commander is stationed there. Beacuse of most commanders being busy with Nyrii, the commander is actually one of most stupid Antareans alive (okay, we need some excuse for aliens' stupid acting, here it is). With most of resources being sent to battlefield, he gets only aging plasma weaponry and little contingent, counting a few thousands at most. Orders-get us more brains.
3rd of march 2084, to satisfy orders for more brains, Antarean commander launches attack on Mumbai.

Getting tired, so just a brief about events in game.

It takes Antarean commander quite few months to realize that troublesome human organization will not just "go away". When losses reach alarming numbers, he blames Nyrii raiding his operations, knowing that admitting his loss against humans would be fatal for him. He recieves reinforcements and particle beam weaponry. But PHALANX is too tough, and after some time they discover location of one of supply bases near Earth. Antarean commander, fearing for his life broadcasts that Nyrii assault force is on their way to solar system, and asks for reinforcements. They are sent, but transmission is intercepted by captured base's systems. Humans, realizing they cannot stand against Antarean main force, have only one choice. To contact Nyrii and hope they will protect them against Antarean assault. But there is only one transmitter strong enough to reach Nyrii, and that is at Antarean main outpost at solar system...

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 11, 2008, 01:17:49 pm »
I like the main part behind the story: Aliens enslaving other races to work/fight for them. Arriving at earth for getting new "resources".

But there are several details to discuss...
The Antarean leader is now facing a dilemma. If he would admit mistake, he would be removed from the lead...and life
I dont like storys, where persons appear. It makes everything just complicated. (I also dont know why scientists called "Connor" and "Navarre" are spamming emails on me...)
It should come down to alien race vs human race. Until the end.

Another thing is the end of the story
To contact Nyrii and hope they will protect them against Antarean assault. But there is only one transmitter strong enough to reach Nyrii, and that is at Antarean main outpost at solar system...
This sounds like the story of UFO:Aftermath and I really dont like contacting the "good" aliens to help us against the "evil" aliens...

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 11, 2008, 02:28:29 pm »
Well, who said they have to be a good aliens? I left this open intentionally. Speaking from Nyrii point of view, the most logical thing to do would be, rather than spending resources to defend Earth, simply eliminate Earth from orbit to stop Antareans to use humans for good. That is, if you want no good end. Another possibility, the commander stationed at the outpost will not send distress call, and Antareans, being overrun by Nyrii, couldn't send a force to Earth to secure it. I haven't played Aftermath, I just wanted to keep the storyline without any big logical gaps. And humans defeating major alien force...well, that IS a logical gap.

Why is Antarean leader mentioned at this point? Because I wanted to show what one man's fear can do. This time, fearing for his life, he rather sacrifices milions (or bilions) just to keep his life, and determines the society's behavior towards other species. He's not a really evil person, more just...tragical.

Generally, in this story everyone involved has its reasons. There is no "plain evil" or "plain good", even if Nyrii protect Earth they do it just because they can't allow Antareans to use humans against them.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 11, 2008, 02:41:49 pm »
I generally don't see the need for the Nyrii in the story at all.

You can just have the Antareans spread around, sending invasions/exploration fleets and one of them happens to stumble upon Earth.

Since it's only one fleet resources are limited and PHALANX has time to prepare before reinforcements arrive.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 11, 2008, 02:55:35 pm »
C'mon...even just one small fleet would be enough to obliterate Earth at first sign of resistance, and it would be just the most logical thing to do. Don't forget we're talking about highly developed species able to enslave others.

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 11, 2008, 06:17:06 pm »
Well, they want slaves. If the glass the planet they don't get slaves.

If you want to talk logic, Earth would stand no chance against a highly advanced alien civilization in any scenario.

Offline Sarin

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 11, 2008, 06:31:24 pm »
Earth can stand a chance, but there have to be special conditions. Aliens must be somehow dependant on humans - maybe food (like in UFO:EU as far as I know), or other biological resources (like brains in my story). And their numbers or resources they can spare on Earth must be limited somehow, like by war...

Offline TrashMan

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2008, 06:36:37 pm »
..or distance...or numbers...or a cataclysm (supernova anyone?)...or whatever.