project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Google has found UFO:AI.  (Read 2909 times)

Wanderer

Google has found UFO:AI.
« on: June 26, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »
I was looking at Adrian Magnus' signature, a quote presumably from Winston Blake about A-10s.  Curious to see the source, I went to Google, and used
Code: [Select]
"A-10" "Winston Blake"

This message board was 5th on the list in the result set.  :shock:

Adrian Magnus

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:49:03 am »
Not surprising. The quote exists in three places, the original post, a member of the forum where it was posted has it in his sig, and I have it in my sig here (because it's cool). Googling "UFO: Alien Invasion" naturally has this site as the top results. Though the top three are the old url.

It originated Stardestroyer.net, toward the end of a thread titled "Will aesthetics ever be part of military design?"

The post itself reads as follows:
Quote from: "Winston Blake"
I think the A-10 is a good example of reputation affecting perception. If you were looking at sleek fighters and were shown the A-10 with no prior knowledge of it, it would seem ugly. Yet the fact it eats tanks for breakfast and can take a hell of a beating redefines what ugliness is for anybody who reads about it. Thereafter, the A-10's style is appealing. Let's face it, the A-10 doesn't 'fly'; it stares down gravity until it runs into a corner sobbing and then, due to sheer badassery, the air decides to get out of its way.

I wanted to quote a good chunk of it, but it wouldn't fit, so I just stuck with the last sentence.

Oh, and the following goes so well with that quote:

Wanderer

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2007, 01:21:25 am »
Quote from: "Adrian Magnus"
(HACK SNIP)
Oh, and the following goes so well with that quote:

Ah, well, that makes a bit more sense then. :)

And yes, that image does go well.  Although, honestly, I was more surprised at finding the Google spiders having found this then anything else.