project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: AI abuse  (Read 8690 times)

Offline blondandy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
AI abuse
« on: June 10, 2007, 08:26:22 am »
The AI is just shy. The aliens (assuming you are playing phalanx) will hide if you leave your soldiers looking at them during the alien round.

This means that (in a small way) you can control the enemy team. For example, it has been observed that on the dam map (dam01d) the AI will make its soldiers retreat into the building opposite your start location. This makes the final approach to the building tricky, as it is not possible to move from the nearest cover and get inside in one turn. Your troops are always injured (maybe killed) as they approach the last building.

So, if you ensure that the open ground in front of that building is not in any of your soldiers field of view at the end of your turn: the AI keeps its troops out in the open making it easy to shoot them.

One word of caution - you have to make sure you have RF angles covered, so they cant sneak up on you.

In a recent experiment, popi and I (coop2) found that we only had 2 enemy left (out of 8 ) in that small building. one was killed with a nade as we approached, leaving the last survivor panicking.

I have also used this tactic on other open maps (eg druglord).

If you want to keep your foes out in the open and easy to shoot, don't look at them!

Surrealistik

AI abuse
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2007, 08:38:05 pm »
Noticed this as well. Reminds me of the "Big Boo" enemy from the Super Mario series.

Offline Daydreamer

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Re: AI abuse
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:57:37 pm »
I don't think it should be like this. The game trys hard to be as realistic as possible. That harms it a bit, in my opinion at least.

Offline TroubleMaker

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2007, 05:17:52 am »
I think there's a possibility to enter the third force, the second AI in single-player missions: regular military forces.

At least on bunker*-maps. It wonders me, why camo-uniformed men simple wandering over the place, not trying to defend their installation. Well, policemen in UFO:Apoc also wandered idly, but police ships attacked UFOs among with my warships.

Ildamos

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 02:33:52 pm »
Has this been fixed? This will harm the game.  :-[

El Zoido

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2008, 12:46:35 pm »
I couldn't really reproduce this on 2.2.1, so can I assume it has been fixed?

Offline ghosta

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2008, 02:04:26 pm »
You can
But the AI currently gets reworked

Aiki-Knight

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 04:43:54 am »
It does make some sense that the aliens will hide from being seen, especially when they're losing. Without the ability to go on the attack, they hide. I would! Hope the enemy will lose interest, or at least ambush them when they come in to get you.

And that is what the grenade launcher is for: cover your grenade launcher agent, and bounce grenades off walls and around corners, through windows, in doors and off the walls. Blast 'em out. Works like a charm, and exactly what grenades were designed for.