project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Log files and CTD's  (Read 6265 times)

Wanderer

Log files and CTD's
« on: May 30, 2007, 07:10:56 pm »
I'm crashing to Desktop while loading a new .bsp build. I'm trying to figure out what's gone wrong, however, I can't get my logfile to work either.  It's still stuck as an old copy.

My logfile setting is either 1 or 2 (I've tried both), and my ufoconsole.log in C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Application Data\UFOAI\.ufoai\base won't update.

The CTD is on a new .bsp that's never been used before, so I'm not entirely sure what's broken on it yet, but I've got some ideas.

Files are here:
http://rapidshare.com/users/9UPYQE

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2007, 10:47:15 pm »
OK, I've done a recompile on linux, and it crashes here too. Console isn't helpful (just a sudden 'shutdown game' or so).

For me this often happens if I got a bad brush somewhere. I can check this if you like (basically, what I'd do is delete half of your brushes, see if it works, delete another half of whats left or go half the step backwards... quite fast&effective).

If your logfiles seem stuck, why don't you just delete (or rename) them and see if new ones are created?

Wanderer

Log files and CTD's
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2007, 11:45:00 pm »
Tried clearing/renaming the logfile, didn't help any. :(

If you don't mind, that'd be great.  I'll have to do it on my map anyway.  my guess is the problem is on the third floor, or in the fire escape.  I compiled the map with LZ_012 just fine, and had a compilation with 0123 done (sans fire escape), but had set my surface flags wrong.

If I find it first I'll post (or IM... XD)

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 01:40:09 am »
Sorry, wrong ;-)
It's your top ceiling. If I remove that, I can compile&start just fine...

BTW, some first impressions:

- It's quite colorful and a bit mazy. Thats fine, though it doesn't exactly look like corporate design or less than 10 architects ;-)
-The brick wall of your shack is a bit big, the green (grass?) outside a bit small scaled IMHO.
-Sorry, but I guess you'll never get the upper part of your fire ladder to work. Experience from my own map tells me it's quite impossible to stack two stairs _directly_ on top of each other. At least if you want to actually use them.
-Man, 2600 brushes? Thats an awful lot... I'm not really amazed by your 15 MB bsp... though that may have other reasons like bad brushes as well...
-Hope all of this doesn't sound too negative, plz take it as constructive critizism. All in all I really like your map because its so colorful and detailed... you're a bit of an interior designer, arent you? :wink:

Regards
Xav

Wanderer

Log files and CTD's
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 02:08:57 am »
Quote from: "XaverXN"
Sorry, wrong ;-)
It's your top ceiling. If I remove that, I can compile&start just fine...

Strange... I can leave the roof in, and just rip off the fire escape and it loads up.  Not that the lights appear to be working...

[EDIT: It helps when you set the damned _color property... if Mattn or someone else who has their hooks into the setup for the GTK engine reads this, default please? XD]

BTW, some first impressions:
- It's quite colorful and a bit mazy. Thats fine, though it doesn't exactly look like corporate design or less than 10 architects ;-)

Nah, it's like one of those privately owned BNB's that got built along the lines of 'Hey, Papa, we should get a kitchen fer the sittin' room'.  'Alright Mama.  You hire 'em.'  'Oooh, pretty shade of blue, let's use this Papa'. (Papa in the middle of trying to do the books while an irate customer is on the phone) 'Sure Mama, whatever you think is best.'

-The brick wall of your shack is a bit big, the green (grass?) outside a bit small scaled IMHO.

I'll review it and see if I agree. :)

-Sorry, but I guess you'll never get the upper part of your fire ladder to work. Experience from my own map tells me it's quite impossible to stack two stairs _directly_ on top of each other. At least if you want to actually use them.

Um... NARF?  Check ... no... um... check... um... crap... I know there's some map that does it... I'll test it before I mod the design.

-Man, 2600 brushes? Thats an awful lot... I'm not really amazed by your 15 MB bsp... though that may have other reasons like bad brushes as well...

Well, if you remember my earlier testing, I was ripping out a meg for a brush.  It's not all in the brush count.

-Hope all of this doesn't sound too negative, plz take it as constructive critizism. All in all I really like your map because its so colorful and detailed... you're a bit of an interior designer, arent you? :wink:

Regards
Xav

Nah, not negative.  I'll punt it up for a real display once it's functional and whatnot.  And no, not an interior designer... just be glad I didn't insist on tiling all the bathrooms.... XD

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2007, 11:46:14 pm »
Quote from: "Wanderer"
Strange... I can leave the roof in, and just rip off the fire escape and it loads up.  Not that the lights appear to be working...

[EDIT: It helps when you set the damned _color property... if Mattn or someone else who has their hooks into the setup for the GTK engine reads this, default please? XD]

Hm... would like to play around with that, but unfortunately I have a blood poisoning since yesterday and shouldn't move my right arm... this sucks :-(
Maybe in some days...

Default? Probably the same as worldspawns, 1 0.8 0.8 I think...

Wanderer

Log files and CTD's
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2007, 12:09:42 am »
Default? Probably the same as worldspawns, 1 0.8 0.8 I think...

Nah, I know the settings I want... I just want the engine to default the entity on creation. :)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 06:10:14 am »
i've reproduced this bug - what should i say - your map is too big ;-)

the hunk allocation of 22 mb isn't enough for your map - i wans't able to grab the map file itself - please share somewhere or send it via mail to me, please. then i will have a look

Wanderer

Log files and CTD's
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2007, 05:48:23 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
i've reproduced this bug - what should i say - your map is too big ;-)

the hunk allocation of 22 mb isn't enough for your map - i wans't able to grab the map file itself - please share somewhere or send it via mail to me, please. then i will have a look

That's... strange.  My map file is in the same directory above as where the bsp file is, so you should be able to find it at http://rapidshare.com/users/9UPYQE

It's the second file in the list.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2007, 06:46:45 pm »
yes, i wasn't able to download it via rapidshare - download limit exceeded.

Wanderer

Log files and CTD's
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2007, 06:50:05 pm »
Quote from: "Mattn"
yes, i wasn't able to download it via rapidshare - download limit exceeded.

Doh, I see.  Didn't know you could run into that there... what I get for needing to use free resources atm.

I'll ship via email.

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2007, 07:27:17 pm »
i tried your map now - very detailed - but you should really redruce the brushcount a lot.

e.g. the stairs - make the rail (the staves) one brush and use a transparent texture - then set alphatest in the surfaceflags for this brush

or, e.g. http://mattn.ninex.info/screenshots/bnb_full_LZ_0123.png
make them one brush and scale/shift the texture

the map is very nice - but there are really too many brushes

and you should maybe remove 50% of the lights you placed - play a little more with the ambient sun light flags (see Plugins->UFO:AI->worldspawn (day/night))

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2007, 07:28:47 pm »
one additinal note - even after i removed 50% of the light (which made the map ~5 mb smaller btw) the map was still too big and flushed the hunk memory... so the brush redruce should be really your next step. the map seams to be worth it - though i've never seen it with lights

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2007, 07:31:52 pm »
the lockers in the first floor doesn't have the levelflags set (set them via entity inspector to level 1)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Log files and CTD's
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2007, 07:36:20 pm »
last but not least:

imo this look a little better - but that's of course up to you