project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Grenades falling out of the map  (Read 4316 times)

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
Grenades falling out of the map
« on: May 18, 2007, 02:03:24 am »
Hi,

I had this bug on the map estate. Basically, if a map doesn't have a border, then you can throw grenades off the edge.

keo

Re: Grenades falling out of the map
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 09:28:29 am »
Quote from: "Voller"
I had this bug on the map estate. Basically, if a map doesn't have a border, then you can throw grenades off the edge.

I second that! First it seemed strange but now I realize it's some kind of bug.

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2007, 10:57:23 am »
To be honest, I don't know if this is really so much of a bug. The maps are nothing cut off from the rest of the world, like with a wall around or sth... so why shouldn't grenades roll of the playing field?

Besides, I think even Mattn would say it's just a usability problem  :D

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2007, 11:07:43 am »
XaverXN: exactly :-D

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 12:01:05 pm »
I guess you're right about the map not being shut off from the rest of the world. However, you can see the grenade falling some looooooong distance, and finally exploding somewhere in space. That can't be right either ;)

How about making it disappear as soon as it hits the border? Or tell the mappers to avoid that sort of problem by making the edges of the maps not reachable like in other games?

Offline Zenerka

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 12:16:09 pm »
Quote from: "Voller"
How about making it disappear as soon as it hits the border?

Spy or what? You discovered our plans! ;)

Offline Voller

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 12:30:01 pm »
Quote from: "Zenerka"
Spy or what?

Better yet: I'm your evil half brother  :twisted: I watch everything you do  :twisted:

Dwarden

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2007, 02:16:01 pm »
or maybe just add as border non enterable part of map
(grayed out plus it may vanishing into fog)
like 3-5-10 squares (but unsure what it will do with perf) ...

this allows to hit grenade in that area (cause splash damage back to enterable part of map or bounce by obj there etc) ...

Offline XaverXN

• Squad Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2007, 11:11:30 am »
As a player, I like the "unpassable fog" idea. As a mapper, I don't ;-)

The thing is, wouldn't that just shift the problem? What if the grenade rolls through that area? It would explode outside the map, again...

To me the only solutions are 1. leave it like that (it expoldes in the off, so what?) or 2. to suppress the explosion (if a lot of people are bothered).

Dwarden

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2007, 06:01:01 pm »
well what i mean is that non enterable part of map still contain objects (cars, walls, trees, rocks etc) which can be used to bounce grenades back to enterable part of map ...

maybe it would be possible when dynamic generator is back (to reuse it to generate map border areas)

Wanderer

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2007, 09:28:19 pm »
Quote from: "Dwarden"
well what i mean is that non enterable part of map still contain objects (cars, walls, trees, rocks etc) which can be used to bounce grenades back to enterable part of map ...

maybe it would be possible when dynamic generator is back (to reuse it to generate map border areas)

On prebult mission maps, using the actorclips, this is possible.  Undesireable, but possible.  Square footage adds the most size to a map from my experiments so far.  Adding a, say, 4 step border around the map that's uneterable still allows for bouncing grenades, adds size, and not much versatility.

Besides that, It would drive me batty if I could see perfectly good cover I'm not allowed to get to because of 'game design'.

The best bet is for designers to 'wall' the map, fences, hedges, whatnot, or to have the system detect a grenade leaving the map and it going level with the last piece of ground or just going away.