project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Looking for a sound artist  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Mattn

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
  • https://github.com/mgerhardy/vengi
    • View Profile
    • Vengi Voxel Tools
Looking for a sound artist
« on: May 30, 2006, 04:27:47 pm »
We are still looking for a sound artist who is wiling to contribute to our project.

We still need some sounds for the next release of the game.
Please have a look here: link

If you are interested in joining the team around ufo:ai feel free to contact us. For information on how to do this: contact

inquisiteur2

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2006, 05:15:30 pm »
Please take a look at this link:
http://www.partnersinrhyme.com/soundfx/warsounds.shtml

All sounds there are for public use, no permission required.

I think that some of them would be useful....

Thank a gain for all this project

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2006, 06:23:25 pm »
The sounds in this column are collected from the web and are generally available to everyone for personal use.

This really doesn't cut it. Including them in a game isn't "personal use". Sorry, but I'm afraid the GPL is a hard prerequisite for media to be used in this game. The only content that isn't GPLed is the music, and that was written specifically for this game.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2006, 09:01:39 pm »
Some people argue that GNU GPL is not very well suited for media content, as opposed to code. Myself, I think sounds, pictures, prose, etc. that toghether with code form a working computer program are all right to be covered by GNU GPL. I think it is a very good idea to have one licence for everything that comprises your program.

OTOH the texts written to the WIKI are covered by GNU FDL, which is compatible with GNU GPL, but different. Similarly some Creative Commons lincences (but not the no-commerial variant of CC) are compatible with GNU GPL and perhaps could be used in UFO:AI. The www.partnersinrhyme.com is indeed non-free, but e.g. freesound.iua.upf.edu should be OK (Creative Commons), although you have to reade every individual licence and decide for yourself.

inquisiteur2

« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2006, 09:32:01 pm »
A long time ago in lebanon I recorded a tape of the current war, you can hear mortars, machine guns, ambulances, snipers firing, missiles flying across ce city, explosions, etc.....

The tape is almost 30mn long, and it may be useful, altough sometime the sound is a little bit bad.

I dont think that a syrian soldier, or the old lebanses militia will sue us if we take some sounds from this tape.

I have saved it in an electronic format, I will try to upload it somewhere soon.

Hope that will hep.

inquisiteur2

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2006, 11:55:38 pm »
Please refer to the following link to download the MP3 file (30 megas).

http://membres.lycos.fr/financialevents/Guerre%20liban%201.mp3

unfortunatly the sound may be of average quality; but I had to compress it a little bit to make it uploadable on this site.

Also, the tape is 1h30 long; the file mentionned in the above link is fore 30mns.

Please look at and tell me if it may be useful; you will notice mortars; snipers; missiles; machineguns; etc..

I can provide higher qualité sounds but for more space. Of course; hoping that this can be useful; this is my contribution for UFO AI; all sounds an be useful freely for at the convenience of the developpers; or of any potential user.

Offline Bandobras

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 02:07:04 pm »
Great, I hope there is someone with interest in sounds and UFO:AI internals who is not on vacation right now, so that he can check that.

Thank you for the donation. Now, do you place the first 30m into Public Domain or under GNU/GPL or under Creative Commons (e.g., Attribution-ShareAlike)? We need to know, since the game will be published as a part of Linux distributions, on magazine CDs, etc., so we have to be careful not to disallow that. Also, UFO:AI uses some stuff from other projects, so we feel obliged to give back (and not a crippled version, e.g. without some sounds).

inquisiteur2

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2006, 02:28:27 pm »
I am not good at law, consider this as a donation and use it at your convienience; I have no problem with that.

I want to choose the option wich should be the most useful for UFO AI team. You can use it; modify it; sell it at your convenience; no problem on my side.

dont forget that I still have 60 minutes of wave files, thus better quality, but each 30 minutes takes 130 mega space...

I will manage to upload them if after consideration UFO AI team finds them useful. Even if 3 % of the tape can be used; it should be enough to find the necessary sounds for UFO AI

The name of this tape describes lebanese christian militia against Syrian regular army in 1976 in Beyrouth, and therefore should be entiteld "Beyrouth - lebanese resistance - 1976" if you wish to provide it to a 3rd party.

thank you for your quick answer

Psymong

« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2006, 03:55:59 pm »
Quote from: "inquisiteur2"
A long time ago in lebanon I recorded a tape of the current war, you can hear mortars, machine guns, ambulances, snipers firing, missiles flying across ce city, explosions, etc.....

This is a fascinating recording. How did you manage to capture this?  :shock:

Offline GIJOE317

• Rookie
    • View Profile
links
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 06:20:20 pm »
Quote from: "inquisiteur2"

http://membres.lycos.fr/financialevents/Guerre%20liban%201.mp3

Your link took me here, and it looks like they are all 'free' =)

http://www.sounddogs.com/catsearch.asp?Type=1