project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: June 29th build bugs  (Read 3301 times)

Offline sionide

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
June 29th build bugs
« on: July 04, 2013, 07:12:33 am »
Hey,

I downloaded the 29th 2.5-dev build here are a few bugs.

1) One of the battlescape maps, I had 2 soldiers in the Firebird at the end of my first time. I thought they were safe, yet the aliens somehow knew they were in the aircraft and shot at them. They somehow could shoot through the corners of the ship and injured my soldiers (in other words, the aliens shot through the ship's hull)
2) One of the maps is buggy and incomplete. It was UFO landing #14 for me with an oval fountain on the map. I had tried to reload a few different times but got the same map distortion so I ran it on autobattle to pass that point
3) I am not sure how, but my 2nd base was attacked (I barely used it, and shot no aliens ships with it). On defending the base after my first turn, it got stuck on the alien's turn and just hung there.

-> Some overall comments.

[good]
- Great game so far. The pace of the game has changed a lot in 2.5 for the better. I am liking the weight of gear and the balancing of weapons. Reaction fire seems to work, and I am pleasantly surprised to see how well smoke grenades work.
- useful info about the aliens when you do autopsies on them, like what they are vulnerable to, etc

[bad]
- I miss having different outfits like urban, jungle, etc. I used to use that to help determine which of my troops were close, medium and far range fighters, etc. Now it's just "urban." Why was that option taken away?
- A tad slow at the beginning, which is fine and then however it ramped up too fast. I was on June of the following year and suddenly every ship was a harvester from no harvesters. I got about 7 harvesters in a row. I would prefer a more gradual increase with harvesters starting to appear on the map with more scouts and fighters. I am hoping that was just a random sporadic circumstance and not how the game will progress from here on in as that is when I stopped.
- When research is done, you get a message in the email but it only reads the message and not all the other stats. Any way to link the actual ufopedia info upon finished research? It's just a extra annoying step to then after reading the message open up ufopedia to read the stats on the new gear, etc.

Ok, thanks for all the hard work so far and I am eagerly waiting for 2.5 stable.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Re: June 29th build bugs
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2013, 10:53:47 am »
1) One of the battlescape maps, I had 2 soldiers in the Firebird at the end of my first time. I thought they were safe, yet the aliens somehow knew they were in the aircraft and shot at them. They somehow could shoot through the corners of the ship and injured my soldiers (in other words, the aliens shot through the ship's hull)
We would need more information to properly find the gap (we have to manually build a shell around the aircraft to block weapon fire). Which map, what were the locations of your soldiers and the locations of the aliens? Otherwise it's like finding a needle in a haystack.

2) One of the maps is buggy and incomplete. It was UFO landing #14 for me with an oval fountain on the map. I had tried to reload a few different times but got the same map distortion so I ran it on autobattle to pass that point
See this.

- I miss having different outfits like urban, jungle, etc. I used to use that to help determine which of my troops were close, medium and far range fighters, etc. Now it's just "urban." Why was that option taken away?
We got great new soldier models, but we don't (yet) have different "camouflage" patterns for them.

- A tad slow at the beginning, which is fine and then however it ramped up too fast. I was on June of the following year and suddenly every ship was a harvester from no harvesters. I got about 7 harvesters in a row. I would prefer a more gradual increase with harvesters starting to appear on the map with more scouts and fighters. I am hoping that was just a random sporadic circumstance and not how the game will progress from here on in as that is when I stopped.
Just a random sporadic circumstance. The UFO appearance is a heavily sandbox mechanic -- so you'll see significant variations from time to time -- and this is made even less consistent by the fact that you're probably still missing lots of UFOs flying around outside of radar range.

Offline SoftwareSimian

• Rookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2013, 03:28:43 am »
We would need more information to properly find the gap (we have to manually build a shell around the aircraft to block weapon fire). Which map, what were the locations of your soldiers and the locations of the aliens? Otherwise it's like finding a needle in a haystack.
I just ran across a similar issue:

My soldier (highlighted by the green selector box) was standing clearly inside the dropship, and was shot by the alien in the far top-left corner. There should be no way my soldier could get hit from the visual look of the dropship, but I guess the magic bulletproof box doesn't extend as far as the image of the ship does.

Offline H-Hour

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2013, 11:50:48 am »
I just fixed it. And then realized shipit fixed it first! Thanks for reporting.

Offline ShipIt

• Project Artist
  • Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2013, 02:50:13 pm »
I just fixed it. And then realized shipit fixed it first! Thanks for reporting.

Thats called "teamwork". Means work is either done twice or not at all. Sorry.