project-navigation
Personal tools

Author Topic: Questions, questions...  (Read 4804 times)

Offline gregor

• Cannon Fodder
    • View Profile
Questions, questions...
« on: April 12, 2006, 08:20:29 am »
Hi all!

I downloaded the game and yesterday i finnaly got a chance to have a look at it. I didn't notice any manual or mouseover explanation of commands. But then again i din't have the time to look in the files folder yet. I tried to use my knwoledge form other UFO games to at least try and play it. And it worked. I preety soon learned how to handle the controls.

However there are still some things that are unclear to me. I noticed that there is no save option during the tactical display. Well that's not cool. Yet later when i finished the mission i saw that i got some new recruits. Does that mean that after each mission you get a couple of recruits? Because if so and if i am correct you don't even need the save game that much. So this brings me to my next question: Do the team member progress in their developement (i.e. more missions = better personal ratings)?

I have more questions that popped into my mind and i couldn't find the answers for them quite as fast as i anticipated. First one is why does the programme "strip" my players down? Each got an armour and then the game said items not allowed and took them away leaving my soldiers barehanded. Why does it do this? Same happened on my first mission. As i noticed you already begin with some objects that have to be researched. But it didn't say that laser rifle needs research, so i equiped the soldier with it and it dissapeared.

And this brings me to my next question. How do i research? I've noticed the research button but when i go there there are some items on the left (i believe they are the ones that can be reasearched) but how do i start the reasearch on them? I tried clicking on them, clicking on the tick mark below but it doesn't seem to do anything becaus enothing happens on the scree.

More on research... How do i build additional labs? As it seems to me the research increases by number of labs rather than scientist. Am i correct? But how do i build additional research and production facilities? Are they so expencive that i can't build them? I also notice there are not pictures in UFO pedia for bases. Which doesn't bother me that much, but if there would only be some text explanation would be nice. Instead it just gives some txt filename. I read about the game and it seems it is still very much in developement stage, but still some basic text info (eg. what is gained by building the facility would be reasonable to expect).

Next ones are connected with tactical map.
Is there a way to "reserve" the time units like in UFO?
Two hand weapon - can i hold assault rifle in one and grenade in the other hand at the same time? Or do i need to put the assault rifle on my back when i want to throw a grenade?
Since the rocket is considered to be heavy explosive the range of the explosion seems somewhat limited. I shot the rocket at the red alien (whatever he is called) it passed him and hit the wall right behind him, yet he didnt' die or pass out. Well that's very unusual for high explosion is it not?
Does the heatlh of wounded soldiers always return to full when the mission is over?

So many questions...

But let me say in the end that i think that it is a wonderfull attempt to create an action turnbased game that is in some way based on the classic UFO games. I realise it is still in development stage, but can't wait to see version 1 available. I especially like the fact that even if my computer is old the gam still loads fast. So, keep up the good work! This game really has potentials.

Offline BTAxis

• Administrator
  • PHALANX Commander
    • View Profile
Questions, questions...
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 11:24:41 am »
I would just like to point out that what you're playing is by no means a finished game. It's a technical demo. There WILL be bugs, incomplete or missing features, etc. If you have the means and know how, try compiling the newest revisions from the SVN. You will find a lot has improved.

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Questions, questions...
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 11:09:05 am »
For all those who do not have the means nor the knowledge, how about breaking out a new beta in the mean time?
Personally I'd be more than happpy to have the current beta as is but without the inventory bugs.
Tried the stuff from the repository with the downloadable windows binaries but didn't work at all.

inquisiteur2

Questions, questions...
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 01:55:52 pm »
Maybe you did something wrong. It worked for me, I have just replaced the old files with the new ones.

The weapons wont disappear anymore if you dont restart a failed tactical mission.

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Questions, questions...
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:11:12 am »
Well, like I said. I copied the Windows Binaries from march 30th into the TD2 directory and after that the most recent files from the repository and all I get is a message that says:
"Error in menu aircraft - max menu num excceded (10)"
Comments anyone?

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Questions, questions...
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2006, 02:07:14 pm »
I DLed the newest win32 binaries and now I get a message that the SDL.dll is missing can I get that one anywhere?

Hoehrer

Questions, questions...
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2006, 04:21:12 pm »
Quote from: "Killertomato"
I DLed the newest win32 binaries and now I get a message that the SDL.dll is missing can I get that one anywhere?

Hope that helps:
Library:   SDL Runtime Libraries
Download:   http://www.libsdl.org/download-1.2.php ->  Win32: SDL-1.2.9-win32.zip
Install:   Put the SDL.dll in your trunk directory.

(See also Coding » Dev-cpp)

Werner

Offline Killertomato

• Rookie
    • View Profile
Questions, questions...
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2006, 10:14:59 am »
AH! Cheers!